• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://theadvocate.com/news/1476141...g-horrific-living-conditions-parents-arrested

The parents of an infant found alone by police inside a squalid home described in a Baton Rouge police report as “extremely horrific” are now in East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on a range of counts, including cruelty to juveniles.

A bail bondsman stopping by the home, 4837 Underwood Drive, called police about 2:30 a.m. Monday after finding the door open, the police report says.

When officers went inside, they discovered a baby girl, roughly 1 year old, on a bed in the back bedroom in a filthy diaper that appeared not to have been changed in quite some time, the report says.

The “living conditions inside the residence were extremely horrific for any infant child,” an officer wrote in the report.

Spoiled, rotten food and animal feces were scattered throughout the home along with drug paraphernalia, the report says.

About an hour and a half after police officers arrived, Hollis Banks and Jasmine Rose, the infant’s parents, arrived at the home, the report says.

Immediately after Banks and Rose identified themselves as the homeowners and parents of the infant, police handcuffed both.

Rose, 24, struggled with police as she was led to a waiting patrol car, kicking and pushing an officer, the report says.

Police booked Rose and Banks, 25, into Parish Prison on counts of cruelty to juveniles, child desertion and criminal abandonment.

Rose also was booked on one count of resisting an officer by force.

Officers also contacted the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services, which dispatched an investigator “to examine the horrific living conditions,” the police report says.

After concluding the investigation, the investigator released the infant to the child’s grandmother, who’d since arrived at the house, the report says.

Last edited:
The couple’s other child, Hollis Banks Jr., died at the age of four months as the result of asphyxiation while bed-sharing in unsafe sleeping conditions in August 2014, said Dr. William “Beau” Clark, the East Baton Rouge coroner.

The child’s death was ruled an accident, Clark said.

It wasn’t clear if the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services investigated the boy’s death or if the child welfare agency had fielded previous complaints about the parents. DCFS officials did not respond to requests for comment Wednesday.

An investigator with DCFS came to the home Monday morning to inspect the conditions inside and released the young girl to her grandmother, police have said.

Fran Banks, Hollis Banks Jr.’s mother, said she suspects grief over the child’s death and the passing of other family members more recently led the couple to struggle with addiction.

“They’ve been grieving but they turned to drugs to numb the pain,” Banks said. “They started going down I think the last couple months of last year.”

Living conditions in the home, at 4837 Underwood Drive, deteriorated quickly, Banks said. The last time she visited the house, when she went to pick up her granddaughter in December, there was food in the house and things seemed relatively tidy, though both Banks and a neighbor described the rental house as a poorly maintained slum.

“Had it been like that, I’d have snatched her myself,” Banks said. “We thought they were dealing with it okay.”

Monday morning, Baton Rouge police officers found animal feces, rotting food and drug paraphernalia strewn throughout the home, according to a police report.

A bail bondsman, stopping by the house on separate business, called police after finding the door open, the report says.

The couple were arrested by officers when they returned home about an hour and a half after police arrived, according to the report.

They remain in Parish Prison on counts of cruelty to a juvenile, child desertion and criminal abandonment.

Both have previous brushes with the law.

Hollis Banks, 26, allegedly punched Rose after during an argument in June in the waiting room of an Airline Highway urgent care clinic, where they’d taken their daughter for treatment, according to a Sheriff’s Office report.

Banks is charged with domestic abuse battery with child endangerment, a misdemeanor, in the alleged attack.

His mother said she hasn’t spoken with either since their arrest Monday morning.

“Right now, our main concern is” her granddaughter, Fran Banks said. “We’ll be taking care of her ourselves. The best thing for them is to go on and get the treatment and everything they need. It’s not going to happen overnight. It’s a process they have to go through.”

Nonetheless, Banks said she regrets the lack of treatment options and other support for those with drug problems outside of the criminal justice system.

“I know the state of Louisiana deals with a lot of cases pertaining to child neglect and child abuse but they also don’t have enough programs out here to help the parents deal with addiction,” Banks said. “If they’d gotten the support they needed soon enough, they’d be alright. Because they didn’t, this is the consequence.”
http://theadvocate.com/news/1476958...qualid-baton-rouge-home-are-drug-addicted-sti

The last time she visited the house, when she went to pick up her granddaughter in December, there was food in the house and things seemed relatively tidy

Things don't go that far downhill in a month. I think grandma saw only what grandma wanted to see.

The baby died in August 2014 and they were grieving and turned to drugs in the last few months of 2015?
She also would've been a few months along with this one when Jr was smothered.
Sorry gma. These parents are shit. End of story.

The baby died in August 2014 and they were grieving and turned to drugs in the last few months of 2015?
She also would've been a few months along with this one when Jr was smothered.
Sorry gma. These parents are shit. End of story.

Not that this makes a difference but the articles title says the parents are grieving the loss of their babies twin Brother... Again not a excuse just thought I would bring that up ..

Last edited:
IF and only IF these parents were truly grieving over the loss of their baby and were in a bad emotional state of mind{ I would be lost if I lost my baby too.).. but if that was the case.. I hope they get the help they need and somewhat get a lenient sentence based on that alone.. I can't imagine losing a child. It would kill me but I would also have to stay strong for my other kids..I dont know how anyone could let a baby they love live like that... I don't care what circumstances were involved and turning to hard drugs would be the last thing on my mind... if my babies twin brother died.. I would try as hard as I can to make sure I keep the surviving one alive ..but some people deal with death differently... however if they were addicts and neglectful before baby died and mom is just trying to play that card and act like they turned to drugs cuZ of this or that...then they need the max sentencing. No being lenient at all

That grandmother is a real loser too if she thinks they weren't all fucked up when they smothered their first kid while co-sharing a bed.

That grandmother is a real loser too if she thinks they weren't all fucked up when they smothered their first kid while co-sharing a bed.

Well, to be fair, bed-sharing is the biggest risk factor related to infant deaths and is not recommended by the American Pediatric Association because as many as a couple hundred babies die as a result annually. Check out these awesomely shocking ads from Milwaukee's Health Department designed to discourage the practice.

I have to say that I was happily ignorant that there are a good number of folks out there that apparently aren't offended by the sight and smell of animal feces and urine permeating the air and sharing space on the floor. How many times can you pass a pile of shyte and say to yourself, "I'm not picking that mess up"?

If I had a big enough bathroom, I'd totally get one of those flushable cat boxes.
I bought one of these for my favorite ex-girlfriend (the large girl from Montana I mention from time to time). She said it worked good some of the time, and other times got clogged :yuck: In reading reviews, it works great for some people and not-as-great for others. I don't know if there's something inherently wrong with the design of the box, or if gigantic cats (like hers), produce too-big-a-turd for the device to handle.

Anyway, that was my experience.

Grandma is stupid..... Wtf. I can't. He punches his wife in the face at urgent care... Last time she saw the grandkid was before Christmas.. I feel like I am on drugs reading that!!

I have to say that I was happily ignorant that there are a good number of folks out there that apparently aren't offended by the sight and smell of animal feces and urine permeating the air and sharing space on the floor. How many times can you pass a pile of shyte and say to yourself, "I'm not picking that mess up"?
I am wondering why these people even get a fricking animal or animals, they can not take care of their kids what makes them think its a good idea to get a dog or cat or whatever type they have.

I drove down to Sherwood Forest Blvd, turned onto Coursey and found Underwood! House doesn't look too bad from the road. I think that part of the subdivision is marked for Section
Eight housing...Lessee if I can post a pic.
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

[doublepost=1454614683,1454614298][/doublepost]Laptop is acting weird.. Anyway, there's MOM!

Looks like a bloody cow patty sliding off her head.

And if grandma last saw the house around Christmas and said it was presentable then but extremely horrific and squalid a month later, I think grandma wasn't inside Jasmine's house at all, maybe she stopped short at the dog house, I'm sure it's cleaner.

Last edited:
I think Grandma chose her words very carefully. She never said the house was presentable. She said it was relatively tidy and there was food. Relative to what, she didn't say, but I suspect it was tidy relative to what the authorities would consider grounds for removal.

I suspect she knew the parents were circling the bowl the last time she saw them but because they were still technically afloat, she couldn't do much about it but nag and pray.

You know how fast that lazy circle accelerates and then goes down for good. It's the same way with junkies. They can go very quickly from appearing to "maintain" to being a massive train wreck. Astonishingly quickly.

And things can get absolutely filthy and unliveable in a stunningly short amount of time. I once witnessed what a group of kids did to a brand-new model home in just one weekend. Although the place was pristine on Friday afternoon, on Monday morning you would have sworn they had lived there like animals for months. If they had the run of the place for 2 months and brought animals in, I have no doubt there would have been feces, garbage and rotting food everywhere. As it was, the human feces and vomit, along with the sewage from where they tore the toilets out of the floors was horrible beyond words.

Well, to be fair, bed-sharing is the biggest risk factor related to infant deaths and is not recommended by the American Pediatric Association because as many as a couple hundred babies die as a result annually. Check out these awesomely shocking ads from Milwaukee's Health Department designed to discourage the practice.

Bed-sharing has been the norm for as long as humans have been around. For much of our existence, the benefits must have far outweighed the risks. I can imagine that a co-sleeping infant was much less likely to succumb to exposure or predation than one who was tucked away in a separate cradle or crib. The occasional suffocation or crushing death may have been a relatively small loss compared to the number of babies saved by being in such close proximity to parents. I also think that there are developmental benefits from the practice.

However, I think the tide has changed and the risks now far outweigh the benefits. Modern homes are warm, and most are free from tigers, wolves, dingoes, and jealous fellow concubines. I'm not a big fan of putting a baby in a crib in a separate room on the other side of the house, but a safely furnished bassinet or crib beside a parent's bed seems like the safest choice now. The baby can hear the parent's breathing and be comforted by it, the parent can easily check on the baby, and with some creative arrangement, the parent can even hold the baby's hand while they both sleep.

Bed-sharing has been the norm for as long as humans have been around. For much of our existence, the benefits must have far outweighed the risks. I can imagine that a co-sleeping infant was much less likely to succumb to exposure or predation than one who was tucked away in a separate cradle or crib. The occasional suffocation or crushing death may have been a relatively small loss compared to the number of babies saved by being in such close proximity to parents. I also think that there are developmental benefits from the practice.

However, I think the tide has changed and the risks now far outweigh the benefits. Modern homes are warm, and most are free from tigers, wolves, dingoes, and jealous fellow concubines. I'm not a big fan of putting a baby in a crib in a separate room on the other side of the house, but a safely furnished bassinet or crib beside a parent's bed seems like the safest choice now. The baby can hear the parent's breathing and be comforted by it, the parent can easily check on the baby, and with some creative arrangement, the parent can even hold the baby's hand while they both sleep.
Guilty as charged - our oldest daughter's bedroom was on the other side of the house when she was born. She has a lot of sinus, allergy, ear infections, & pneumonia when she was born. I got fed up sleeping in the rocker-glider in her room. My husband came home from work one day and found the crib in our bedroom. He never said a word. He was a very smart man. ♡♡♡ At least about that. ♡♡♡

Every time I read a story with "horrific" and/or "squalor" in the title, I know animal feces is soon to follow. It's really so easy; just open the door and let the dog outside. Or clean out the litter box if you have a cat. How lazy must you be when simply opening a door is just too exhausting? When is it preferable to allow shit to pile up around you instead of picking it up and disposing of it?

And the poor baby girl forced to lay in a shitty diaper, jeez.

Trust me, I ain't no Suzy Homemaker, but none of my pets shit inside my house. I never thought that was something to be proud of? Lol.

I can understand how quickly a house can get dirty, don't get me wrong. My house can be spotless on Friday and messy as hell by Sunday, dirty dishes and clothes laying around, sticky floor etc. But it will be clean again by Monday. The grossest is when I discover a puked up hair ball in my laundry, compliments of one of my cats. (Why am I single? I sound so appealing, right?) :woot:

Last edited:
Back