• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Countess Olenska

Nice Asshole
Bold Member!
joshua-shintani-shallow-hall-zoom-772e4477-684d-4ff4-9e59-61e9b8e7f110.jpg

According to TMZ, Shintani’s mother took him to an emergency room in Kauai, Hawaii, last week, where doctors diagnosed him with an advanced case of pneumonia shortly before he passed away.

The actor starred in a memorable scene in the 2001 film Shallow Hal, where he played “Never Forget Where I’m From” on the ukulele. The role made Shintani a local celeb in Hawaii, but it was the only time he ever starred on the big screen.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/shallow-hal-actor-joshua-shintani-dead-at-32-w158628

Yeah? All I get is the taste of salt and wicked heartburn from it. Better than a heart attack or advanced pneumonia, I suppose.

I had scratch and dent cans and the giant block of gov't cheese. I'd eat Spam but it tries to kill me from the inside. I'll take a can of corned beef over spam any day.

Have you ever tried the good Macaroni and cheese (the kind with the squishy cheese) with cubed spam with sprinkles of cubed red and green peppers. Was Christmas dinner a couple of times. Actually it is pretty good, but I"m with the countess on the spam, between the heartburn and salt, even the low salt one, I cannot eat it anymore.

Not velveeta, too expensive, just the cheap box M &C but the ones with the squishy cheese, not as cheap as the powdered but
I can't hardly stomach the powdered cheese anymore, it's just grooooooosssssss. But usually any of the squishy cheese ones are better than powdered.

That's when we thought we were living high on the hog when I could scrape together the $1.25 to get one box of squishy MC when I could buy about 5 boxes for that much of the powdered.

Ramen. I lived on ramen. It's 2 bucks for a case (or close to it)

My mom made a lot of "skinny soup" it's basically rock soup. Whatever we had went into the pot.

Awww, I love that movie, it makes me happy. Poor fat guy.

I blame gov't cheese and processed can meats.

I ate once a day until I grew up and paid for my own food. I bought a coke at lunch and only ate dinner every day.

There was 4 kids in my family and while we weren't exactly starving, there were days when we didn't get what we needed. There were lots of times I was embarrassed to eat at school because I didn't have the lunch money for the week. They would let me eat but I had to sign a piece of paper that says I was eating on credit and that it had to be paid for as soon as possible. It was mortifying. As a kid in elementary school what exactly did they think I was going to do about it, lunch was only about $1.00 a week but we needed it 4 times.

Schools and teachers weren't so touchy feely and worried about a kid's psyche back then, it was pay up or eventually you would be sitting all by yourself at the poor kids table with all the other kids that didn't pay. To this day unless it is just god awful gross I eat what's put in front of me. Big reason why my butt's as big as a studebaker.

We were kinda lucky in that the small rural schools that we went to had a lady that ran all the lunchrooms of all the schools, Mrs. Roan, who baked fresh bread and made soup from scratch and such things, meals actually tasted good. I went to one of my children's school for some sort of meeting and they served dinner for us from the lunchroom, it was horrendous, and this was supposed to be for adults, not kids who really don't know how it's supposed to taste. After that I didn't make my kids eat at school, untill then I just thought they were exaggerating, like kids do, but not anymore.

I was very thankful I had WIC and Medicare when I had my first child. The system is flawed, for sure. You should not be able to make 3k a year in taxes per child and get just enough housing and money to keep you alive. However, there is a need that is filled with it for people are in situational circumstances regardless of how they got there be it poor decisions or dumb luck.

The problem with a lot of it is you can make min wage and not qualify for assistance but not work and get everything available to you. It's very frustrating when you are doing your best (often working 2 jobs as a single parent) but can't get the aid you need to get out of your hole no matter how hard you work.

I just have to butt in on this and let you know that Walmart's brand dry mac n cheese has a much better taste than the pricier Kraft's. My d-i-l disagrees, however, but I can definitely tell the difference.

http://news.yahoo.com/kids-boycotting-school-lunches-worse-prison-food-204955237.html

Rotten pears, burned pizza, and fat-filled chicken patties and burgers. Those are just some of the unappetizing, often unhealthy lunch items being served to teens at Roosevelt High School on Chicago’s Northwest Side—and some of the students have had enough. Starting Wednesday, they plan to boycott the gross cafeteria food, and they have launched a petition demanding that lunch offerings be improved.

The effort, called “The School Lunch Project: Culinary Denial,” was created in November by civics students at the school. They hope to educate the public about the problem with the food they are being served and mobilize the 1,400 students at Roosevelt to stand up for better nutrition.

Why am I paying for some 36 year old woman and her 6 babies when I had to make reasonable, RESPONSIBLE choices for my own life? I get the great pleasure of paying for her bad choices because i made good choices?

Not sure how spam led to all this poppycock but since I am a 36 year old mother of 6 NOT on any welfare programs I would like to say I think the system should be more like WIC. They can't but soda or chips or candy. The vouchers are made out for milk and cheese and other things growing kids need. I do wish they would have a better payment system though. Getting behind a WIC person sucks in line. One coupon per item and the cashier is always lost.

Back