• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://news.yahoo.com/woman-accused-killing-baby-giving-birth-store-152730245.html

A young woman gave birth in a convenience store where she worked, killed the baby and dumped his body in a garbage bin outside, authorities said Monday.

Tara Tomlin, 20, of Livingston, was charged with second-degree murder on Saturday, a day after state police say her newborn son's body was found in a plastic bag in a trash bin outside an Xtra Mart in her Hudson Valley hometown.

Troopers said they found the body early Friday during a search that was prompted by a 911 call from someone saying he suspected there was a baby outside the store.

An autopsy determined the baby died from asphyxiation, police said.

Tomlin was being held without bail Monday in the Columbia County Jail. Her attorney, Michael Howard, said she will undergo a mental health exam to determine if she is competent to stand trial.

Tomlin wept during her arraignment Saturday in town court in Livingston, a rural community of 3,600 along the Hudson River's east bank. She was employed as a cashier at the store known locally at the Bells Pond Xtra Mart. A store employee referred media questions to her supervisor, who didn't immediately return a call seeking comment Monday.

"She's distraught, she's very emotional," Howard said after the arraignment. "It's a tragic incident."

I guess she didn't have time to find a safe haven, she had to keep working.

Last edited:
So sad. Many families waiting for a baby to love...which would have made their holiday season magical...and she kills this little one and throws him away like trash. Save the tears. You deserve what's coming to you. Your tears are for you only.

where was she when her baby was crying??? oooooo rite.. in the middle of killin him!! now too bad we cant kill her as she cries. i hope they dont blame it on her being mentally ill. she deserves the max sentence... if they wannna say shes a young mother... and blah blah blah. well they need to stop making excuses. theres tons of young mothers who dont killl their babies! i just want to know how in the hell she thought she could get away with this!! she needs to die

o and also ... this distraught bullshit needs to go
shes fuckin disraught???? give me a break!! she murdered her baby!!!
only mothers who lose their babies are distraught. not ones who murder them. WHAT THAT BITCH IS DOING NOW IS PUTTING ON A ACT FOR EVERYONE. she is not distraught and yes.. it is a very tragic cold blooded murder and it is all her fault. she caused this

burn in hell bitch

C'mon, the bitch has had it rough. Deciding between finishing out your shift at Xtra Mart or killing your baby isn't a cakewalk, people. I hope she has nightmares for the rest of her life of her baby looking at her while she suffocated him.

HOLY COW!!! According to the video at @rod2pop's link, she was still ringing up customers with blood on her hands and walking around with ther legs spread out, I suppose because it HURT! But listening to the video they are more than likely going to go the mental instability route, because who but crazy would have still been waiting on customers without even washing her hands?

I know retail can be rough, but that's more than a bit extreme. Cough once around a customer and they side eye you and pay with a card to avoid contact. Bloody hands!? My god.

Whatever happened to "life skills" education? No more sacks of flour wearing diapers for the middle schoolers? Maybe I'm old fashioned but methinks it would at least go hand in hand with some kind of sex-ed.

Eta: as a preemptive to, you know, some respect for life. If she had safe haven laws pounded into her head on the regular, I bet she would have at least considered them as an option.

Last edited:
You are preaching to the choir, @MissLiz, cause you know if the kids don't get sex ed and condoms and info on safe havens then they won't go out and have unprotected sex and produce babies that are thrown away because you know teenagers have better sense than to do something they don't have all the information on. We see everyday how that's working out.

Heads in the sand like an ostrich. If I don't see it then it don't exist.

Fucking hell bitch.
Do we seriously need to start putting directions to local churches hospitals fire stations and police stations on trashcans so people can know they have options before they just go discarding their babies like waste? I don't care if that town had 36 people, that bitch had options she just chose not to utilize them as well as she utilized whatever dick that knocked her up.

What I don't understand is this: There are safe haven laws. A woman can leave a newborn at a hospital, at a doctor's office, at a police station--pretty well anywhere warm and sheltered and with people who can care for the baby--and she won't be prosecuted for it. If a woman has a baby and she can't care for it, why in heaven's name does she not go and find a hospital and drop the baby off there? There are childless couples who would be overjoyed to adopt that child. Newborns are highly adoptable. The child would have a good life. Why would anyone ever need to kill a newborn like this?

I don't see how that would make a difference. She may be slow, she may not be; but if she's not too slow to hold a job, then surely she's capable of understanding that a baby is a human being. I'd expect somebody with an intellectual disability to do something more along the lines of wrapping the baby in a sweater and trying to keep it under the counter or something.

Nah... this woman killed the baby--actively asphyxiated it--and then put it in a trash bin. That says "intent" to me.

If she was that slow that she couldn't form the thought not to kill her newborn baby, she wouldn't be capable of working as a cashier, I know it doesn't take a lot of intelligence these days to run a cash register since most of the work is done for you but she still couldn't do it if she were special needs at all. So no she is not slow, stupid maybe, but slow as in special needs, NO!

As a qualifier I must say that I started work as a cashier when I was 17 years old and basically my entire work history for nearly 40 years has been cashiering in one aspect or another, so I know about cashiering.

I'm still thinking the girl isn't playing with a full deck. If she was she would have washed the blood off her hands and cleaned up to hide the shit. She went back to work covered in blood. Something more than just being evil is going on. Evil cleans up and manipulates to seem innocent. I'm not defending her but something else has to be going for her to check out people covered in blood.

She probably thought she had cleaned herself up but was unaware of how she really looked, continuously bleeding and in pain and definitely not thinking clearly (possibly from blood loss) and was wanting to continue with her job for normalcy or because she didn't want anyone to come looking for her and find the baby quicker.

I'm fairly certain she wasn't in her right mind, right at that moment, no one would have been having gone thru a silent child birth in a work bathroom. But she's definitely not special needs and holding a job like that. There''s a lot more to it than just scanning stuff and pushing a total button.

From the link

"Safe Haven is a program and law that allows parents in New York to give up their children within 30 days of birth."

"They first make sure the baby is safe and healthy. Then the baby is put into an adoption system and people are waiting to adopt the newborn," said

Drougas

So what the hell do they do with the baby if deemed "un-adoptable"?
That's a weird fucking statement.

From the link

"Safe Haven is a program and law that allows parents in New York to give up their children within 30 days of birth."

"They first make sure the baby is safe and healthy. Then the baby is put into an adoption system and people are waiting to adopt the newborn," said
Drougas

So what the hell do they do with the baby if deemed "un-adoptable"?
That's a weird fucking statement.

I'm pretty sure that just means that when the baby is dropped off, they check the baby's health to make sure he/she wasn't abused prior to getting dropped off. The parents would be charged if the baby had broken bones, drugs in their system, malnourished etc. I don't think they would say the baby is un adoptable and send him/her back with the parents. Sounds like it is a way of protecting the foster or adoptive parents from being charged for abusing a baby that had already been abused before being placed with them. Also, to make sure no parents that abused or neglected the baby before dropping them off will get away without being charged.

I'm pretty sure that just means that when the baby is dropped off, they check the baby's health to make sure he/she wasn't abused prior to getting dropped off. The parents would be charged if the baby had broken bones, drugs in their system, malnourished etc. I don't think they would say the baby is un adoptable and send him/her back with the parents. Sounds like it is a way of protecting the foster or adoptive parents from being charged for abusing a baby that had already been abused before being placed with them. Also, to make sure no parents that abused or neglected the baby before dropping them off will get away without being charged.
I don't think that's how it works. All safe haven laws I know of are anonymous drop off, no questions asked. That doesn't jive with "get their info and maybe charge them later". Also, the whole fast adoption thing is weird to me. Foster care has lots of unwanted babies and children. Maybe what they mean is that if they meet someones request for a baby, they are "adoptable", otherwise they go to care? You can request what your adopted child looks like. It will take longer than if you just say you want a kid to become your family, and nothing else matters, but you can do it.

I probably should have used the sarcasm on that one. I know what will happen if no one wants the poor babe. The way the quote read sounded as if they were speaking of a quarantined dog.

Newborns, even disabled ones, are very adoptable--it's older children that tend to end up in foster care. That said, many babies will spend some time in foster care before they're adopted, whether days or weeks, just because the arrangements have to be made; and minority-race newborns are at a disadvantage, as usual.

But it's still better that than with a mother who can't care for them.

I see its helpless little face looking at her and it's arms and legs weakly flailing as she callously tosses him in the trash. To be born and cry out for comfort only to be met with pain and callous disregard. WHY?!

That's a little life that could have gone to a loving home. A little life that could have brought joy and fulfillment to a childless family. A life that could have grown up and had little babies of their own. Instead she extinguished all of that hope and joy the moment it came out of her. How can you do this to a sacred living being that you grew inside of you?! It would take a tremendous drive to do this. It goes against everything your body and soul would instinctively and biochemically be compelling you to do.

Adding insult to injury, she could have at least buried the baby, but instead tosses it in the public trash... That really says it all doesn't it?

I know awful shit has been happening since the dawn of civilization, but it really does seem that hearts are growing colder at a younger and younger age. Is it just me? Is this just a new generation of sociopaths being unleashed on the world?

Last edited:
Is there anyway she didn't kill the baby? That while she was giving birth all alone it went wrong and that's why the baby ended up suffocated? Giving birth all alone to a dead baby could account for her state afterwards.

Is there anyway she didn't kill the baby? That while she was giving birth all alone it went wrong and that's why the baby ended up suffocated? Giving birth all alone to a dead baby could account for her state afterwards.

The baby cried, which prompted the search.

"After a 911 caller said he heard a baby's cry at 4 a.m. Friday, police found the baby in the dumpster dead of asphyxiation, at least 6 hours after its birth."

ETA:quote from @rod2pop's link

Last edited:
The baby cried, which prompted the search.
Nope. You may have this mixed up with the baby that was buried alive. This one was found in the trash, in a plastic bag, already deceased.
Tara Tomlin, 20, of Livingston, was charged with second-degree murder on Saturday, a day after state police say her newborn son's body was found in a plastic bag in a trash bin outside an Xtra Mart in her Hudson Valley hometown.

Troopers said they found the body early Friday during a search that was prompted by a 911 call from someone saying he suspected there was a baby outside the store.

Nope. You may have this mixed up with the baby that was buried alive. This one was found in the trash, in a plastic bag, already deceased.

The link that @rod2pop posted, states the 911 caller heard a cry around 4 am. I haven't brought myself to read about the poor baby buried alive yet.

The link that @rod2pop posted, states the 911 caller heard a cry around 4 am. I haven't brought myself to read about the poor baby buried alive yet.
My bad. I hadn't read the article at his link, I was just going off the fact the police found him already deceased. How horrible. If that 911 caller had searched for the baby themselves instead of waiting for police, I wonder if it could have been saved.

On a brighter note, the buried alive baby actually survived.

My bad. I hadn't read the article at his link, I was just going off the fact the police found him already deceased. How horrible. If that 911 caller had searched for the baby themselves instead of waiting for police, I wonder if it could have been saved.

On a brighter note, the buried alive baby actually survived.

No worries! I thought the same thing, how can you not look for a crying baby? Or even an injured animal? At least they called 911.

Thanks, I'll read it now :)

Back