• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/30/the-eerie-disappearance-of-an-elderly-woman-her-son-and-a-25-pound-bar-of-gold
http://mtstandard.com/news/local/mi...cle_6d714c0a-ca4b-50bb-ad4b-8b06abf22491.html

It seemed like Beverly Giannonatti had come across a stroke of luck, or at the very least, a small fortune. While a cleaning woman was going through the Deer Lodge, Mont., house of her late ex-husband in preparation for Beverly to move back in, she discovered a 25-pound bar of gold.

Its worth was estimated at $480,000, a bounty indeed in a small town where the median income hovers around $30,000. Hearing the news from her cleaning lady, the curly-haired 79-year-old went to the house immediately, presumably to retrieve the uncovered treasure.

That was on Oct. 19. Ten days later, Beverly and her 57-year-old son Greg vanished without a trace.

The last time that either of them had been seen was Oct. 28, the Montana Standard reports, when Beverly was spotted at a local restaurant with a Caucasian male of around 60 years of age. Greg was seen “in an apparent hurry” driving away from his home in a white 1995 Toyota Camry.

Neither of them have been heard from since, and their tight-knit community is reeling as it enters the fourth week of the Giannonattis’ disappearance.

“The valley has gone from frantic to just sad,” a friend of Beverly told the Montana Standard. “Who would kidnap such a lovely lady?”

lots more at the link

Last edited:
Thanks! you got that before I could even finish editing. I guess I need to change their status to deceased then.

Besides the murders, sad thing is, in that quantity even otherwise reputable precious metals dealers, bulk dealers, smelting foundaries, etc., would probably buy it for a dime or less on the dollar knowing full well it was hot if the murderer is just a greedy mf'er, an addict, or some souless asshole looking for a quick turn over. I'll bet it's someone they knew and likely trusted who either did it, or tipped the killer off about the bar.

Or someone the maid knew and told about it, since she found it to start with.

I went and did a little figuring and 25 lbs is worth between $400,000 and $450,000. Give or take, of course, depending on the quality and the day of the week.

Or someone the maid knew and told about it, since she found it to start with.

I went and did a little figuring and 25 lbs is worth between $400,000 and $450,000. Give or take, of course, depending on the quality and the day of the week.

Yep, that's exactly what I was getting at, too. Also wondered if they made a deal to split the $$ after the sale. And speaking of, this is a little off topic, but I can't believe gold has dropped so damned low these last few months! I guess the days of hitting $2K an ounce are long gone. It was staying relatively stable hanging around $1260+ - $1305-ish an ounce for quite awhile and now it's down to $1,071? I kid you not when I checked the index after reading this story, it was at $1069. I'm sitting here literally watching it fluxuate by a buck or two to the good in real time. Sounds ghoulish, I know, but I'd like to know what karat/purity it was.

This sounds like a made for TV movie plot!

ETA: awesome that he "forgot" to tell his wife about the half mil he had stashed. I'm now gonna go search my house. In case.

Last edited:

Yep that's the quote I got per ounce. I couldn't find a calculator so I had to multiply it out myself, that's why my range is so wide. I wasn't sure whether to use 16 ounces to the pound or 14 and some change for the troy ounces. But what's a few 10's of thousands among friends, right? LOL

Exactly dah-ling! LOL. They're still buying/selling in Troy to date as far as I know which is just 2.75 grams more than a standard ounce. I kinda cheat and round it off three points after the decimal if I'm estimating frank numbers, but when dealing with this kind of quantity, those little "throw aways" behind the third decimal can add up to big bucks!

I know you already know this, but I just pulled this up from cointrackers for anyone who wants the Troy ounce vs. Ounce conversions:

Exact measurements are as follows:
  • 1 troy ounce = 31.1034768 grams or 480 grains
  • 1 ounce = 28.3495231 grams or 437.5 grains
"Basic elementary school math will tell you that 1 Troy ounce contains 2.75 grams more of metal than the standard ounce." <----Hey, I didn't say this, it's a quote from the site! lol

And here's a super easy scrap gold converter with the test kits for sale, too, if anyone wants to check it out. :)

http://www.goldcalc.com/

Last edited:
call me shady, but if i were cleaning out a house and found a damn gold brick that no one knew about....well, no one would know about it (except for me and my metal dealer).

It's a small, news like this prob traveled damn fast. Whole place likely knew of it.

Also very possible that they knew someone in town who knew a thing or two about precious metals and their worth and so on. They could have been working with such a person and bit the dust cuz of it.

I don't see reason to think the maid had anything to do with it. If she was a scumbag, she'd have stolen it outright to begin with.

Its worth was estimated at $480,000

I went and did a little figuring and 25 lbs is worth between $400,000 and $450,000. Give or take

Good figuring, did it consist of you maybe reading the fucking thread? Very similar info was already revealed in the articles.

This sounds like a made for TV movie plot!

ETA: awesome that he "forgot" to tell his wife about the half mil he had stashed. I'm now gonna go search my house. In case.

A careful man never allows his spouse to know his true wealth or that he came into any sudden winfall. Revealing such info is a great way to get yourself murdered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...and-son-who-disappeared-after-gold-bar-found/

Local investigators in Deer Lodge, Mont. believe they found the bodies of a mother and son who went missing in late October. (NBCMontana.com)
Police in rural Montana are questioning a man previously convicted of aggravated kidnapping in connection with the murder of an elderly woman and her son who disappeared just ten days after they came into possession of a bar of gold worth almost half a million dollars.

The bodies of Beverly and Greg Giannonatti were found in a dump site in Powell County, Mont., Sunday night — a month after the mother, 79, and son, 57, vanished without a trace.

Powell County Sheriff Scott Howard identified David Wayne Nelson as a “high person of interest” in the case, the Montana Standardreported Monday, though he has not been charged with anything. Nelson has a Deer Lodge address and is being jailed without bail on a 72-hour investigative hold, Howard said at a news conference .

Nelson, 53, violated probation on an unrelated charge out of Ravalli County and appeared in court late Monday. Montana Department of Corrections records show that he was convicted of robbery and aggravated kidnapping in 1998, burglary in 1981 and accountability for aggravated assault in 2000.

Assistant county attorney Patrick Moody asked for no bail for Nelson because of the “egregious nature” of double homicide charges possibly coming out of Powell County, according to the Standard.

Last edited:
show that he was convicted of robbery and aggravated kidnapping in 1998, burglary in 1981 and accountability for aggravated assault in 2000.

It's startling how many criminals live in small, seemingly nice, out of the way towns. Next time you're driving through some podunk place in this country, stopping for gas at one of the only stores in 200 miles, thinking everyone you come across is some kindly country bumpkin with good old fashioned values and whatnot, think about stories like this. Places like this often have a disproportionate number of scumbags and straight up scary individuals.

The fuck is wrong with their maid? When I first married Mr. TokioFreak, I had to quit my job and move to this God awful city to be with him, because he has a higher paying job than I did, it didn't make much sense for him to quit to move to my tiny, jobless, meth infested town. Anyway, as I wasn't working, his sister got me a cash job with the maid service she works for. I went into a few multi million dollar homes in gated communities and scrubbed showers bigger than my entire bathroom. I learned the fine art of leaving vacuum marks on the carpets. I did it for two whole days. Let me tell you, it was torture. I just don't understand why she didn't steal that and run away to Europe.

I agree. I worked in maintenance for a Technical college for 18 months once, I basically followed the nursing students around with windex and paper towels, they couldn't be assed to touch anything, because everything was filthy, it didn't occur to them, it was filthy because of them. Kicking the handicap button on the door, throwing paper towels on the flooor, squirting soap all over the mirrors and floors, pissing on the toilet seats and floors, pulling the end off the toilet paper and throwing it on the floor, refusing to flush the toilets, I hated those nurses, no one else in the whole school made the mess that they did, all because they didn't want to actually touch anything with their hands. Yeah if I'd found a bar of gold, I would have run for the exit as fast as I could.

Back