• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Jessiesgirl1108

Chameleon
I'm wondering if any illegal drugs were involved

Brittany Leith, 25, of North Babylon had climbed out from under her vehicle after it struck the center median and flipped as she was traveling west on the Southern State Parkway near Exit 36 at about 3:54 a.m., state police said.

The single mom managed to walk to the right shoulder of the roadway with the help of other motorists who stopped to aid her.

But after getting to safety, she told the good Samaritans she needed to run back across the busy highway to retrieve her property from inside her car, according to police.

They begged her not to go, to no avail.

As Leith was making her way to her upended car in the left lane, a passing vehicle fatally struck her.

A state police car arrived a short time later — and was struck from behind by another passing vehicle.

A police officer who was inside the rammed cruiser was taken to Good Samaritan Medical Center in West Islip, but officials did not release any additional information on the injured cop’s condition.

Anna Leith, Brittany’s distraught grandmother, said she now has to face the difficult task of telling the woman’s young daughter, Zoey, that her mom isn’t coming home.

“She has a 3-year-old daughter . . . who doesn’t have a mother anymore,” said Anna Leith, 75.

[...]

Anna Leith says she thinks the people who were on the scene with Brittany should have done more to keep her from running back into traffic.

“I was told someone was there to help her out of the car, but she could have hit her head and been out of it,” the grandmother said. “Somebody should have held on to her and not let her run back into the street.

“This should not have happened,” she added.
http://nypost.com/2015/11/29/woman-survives-car-crash-dies-trying-to-retrieve-her-things/

“Somebody should have held on to her and not let her run back into the street.

...I don't mean to sound like a douche :shrug: but why is Granny placing the blame here :rolleyes:

Cause she gotta put blame everywhere but where it belongs.

Maybe they should have held onto her better but they are not to blame and really what can you do when a full grown person wants to cross the road and you have no idea they might not be totally sane at that moment?

And what are you supposed to do, physically restrain someone who just flipped their car and may have neck/spinal injuries?

No thanks, people don't want the potential lawsuits that come from trying to save dumbasses from themselves.

Now, that is a hell of a deal. Woman flips car and lives, makes it to safety then runs back into traffic and is killed. Trooper stops to help, gets ass ended and is taken to the hospital, smh.

I know the grandmother is in denial and the anger is already bubbling up right behind it, but bless her heart, I hope she can move past it b/c the hate and resentment she's going to feel toward the good people in this tragedy will eat her alive and she doesn't need to contaminate that poor, little girl with any of that mind-twisting soul poison. Maybe one day in the future she'll be able to find and thank the people who tried to stop Brittany from making a deadly mistake. :( <3

Last edited:
Anna Leith says she thinks the people who were on the scene with Brittany should have done more to keep her from running back into traffic.
I understand that she is in unimaginable pain right now, losing her daughter and having to tell her grand daughter that Mommy is gone but it's not he fault of the by-standers.

I probably would have grabbed ahold of the young woman myself, assuming I left her get out of the car. EMS training says they stay in the car as long as there is no risk of further collision until all the appropriate equipment for safe extrication arrives. But I'm somoene who did that for a living, I'm trained, I'm supposed to know what to do.

If Brittany was under the influence then the blame belong on her shoulders for making stupid choices like driving intoxicated, if not intoxicants were involved this was an accident and her decision to run into traffic could have been made while her mind was clouded from a head injury or something but an accident none the less.

Latest posts

Back