• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

RaVen Blackehart

Trusted Member
A 15-year-old Australian girl returned from studying abroad to learn that her entire family had been bludgeoned to death in their sleep, in what police on Monday call a targeted attack.

The girl's parents, two young brothers and her aunt died of wounds to the head and upper body late Friday or early Saturday, at home in the Sydney suburb of North Epping, police said.

Police did not find signs of forced entry and nothing was stolen from the house. Authorities think the family was killed in a "personal" attack, a police spokeswoman said.

Media reports said the father ran a convenience store and had given evidence to police about an armored car robbery outside his store earlier this year.

"I don't believe they have reached anything conclusive about the motive," said the spokeswoman, who did not give her name, in keeping with department policy. "They are keeping an open mind."

The 15-year-old returned from a study trip in the Pacific Island territory of New Caledonia on Sunday.

"I can't imagine what this young girl is going through," homicide Commander Geoff Beresford told Fairfax Radio on Monday. "It is certainly going to be a long and caring process for us to deal with her."

The police department said it had set up a task force to investigate the deaths of the family, whose names were not officially released.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/07/20/australia.killing/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

She did it, or hired someone to do it, lol.

But really, I feel sorry for her. To go with her family intact, and come back with all of them dead. It's chance that she's alive, but fuck, that is some fucked up chance, when you really think about it.

The Lin Family
lQD6EF9.jpg
GSaCARMm.jpg

Min Lin (Norman) 45 & Yun Li (Lily) 44 Yin Bin (Irene- Mrs Lin’s sister) 39
PfH4sAs.jpg
Henry aged 12
efavGdk.jpg
Terry aged 9

It’s been more than 6 years since the murders and 4 year since they made an arrest but the trial is now (finally) coming to a close, Xie’s lawyer chose not to present a case so it come to a rather abrupt closing.

The jury is expected to retire sometime this week so I thought I’d update before the verdict.

At the time of the murders it was pretty shocking 5 people killed in their beds and the police revealed very little and as the weeks and months passed with no arrest it seemed less likely that they’d make an arrest.

The daughter was taken in by her Aunt & Uncle (the sister of Mr Lin) Kathy and Robert Xie who found the crime scene at the Lin family home.

After a nearly two year police investigation it was Xie who was arrested for the Lin family’s murder. Kathy has repeatedly sworn her husband was home and has stood by him during each trial (all 3).

Timeline:
2011 May Xie arrested.

Dec 2012 court found sufficient evidence and Xie was committed to stand trial.

2013 prosecution and defence agreed to delay the trial until March 2014.

2014 June- 1st trial the jury was discharged after a witness alleged she had been sexually assaulted by Xie.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-23/second-jury-in-trial-of-robert-xie-is-discharged

2014 September- 2nd trial - second jury is discharged after the residing Supreme Court Judge fell seriously ill.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-23/second-jury-in-trial-of-robert-xie-is-discharged/

2015 July third trial begins. September 18th the prosecution finishes closing address to the jury
b5wSsAA.jpg
Robert (Lian Bin) Xie

From December 2012
Police claim Mr Xie was motivated by a resentment of his brother-in-law and sister-in-law, stemming from his belief that they were unfairly favoured in the family group.

It is also alleged that Mr Xie and his wife, Kathy Lin, stood to inherit the Lin family's Epping newsagency.

Among the discoveries during the investigation was a small bloodstain under a table in Mr Xie's garage. The committal hearing heard expert evidence that the spot contained a mix of at least three different kinds of blood, at least one of which had virtually identical characteristics to one of the victims.

The committal was also shown footage, taken by hidden police cameras, which appeared to show Mr Xie cutting up and disposing of shoe boxes.

It was alleged that Mr Xie did this in an attempt to destroy evidence that he owned a pair of Asics running shoes, whose prints matched bloodied marks found at the murder scene.

But against this evidence was the sworn testimony of Mr Xie's wife, Kathy Lin, that he was at home in bed on the night of the murders. "In my knowledge he didn't leave the house," she said.
http://www.theleader.com.au/story/1195680/lin-family-slaying-robert-xie-to-stand-trial-over-deaths/

During the first trial May 2014
[Xie] told a fellow prisoner he bought the hammer used in the attack from a $2 shop because it had dummy CCTV cameras

Xie allegedly hatched a plot in prison to implicate someone else over the killings.

He said Xie believed he would not be committed to stand trial, but if he was, he would embark on what he referred to as plan B.

Mr Tedeschi said while in jail Xie told an undercover police officer he planned to place the DNA from a dead man on the murder weapon or at the crime scene in order to blame someone else for the murders.

At the opening of the trial on Friday the court was told Xie was motivated by a bitterness towards the adults in his family and that some of the bodies were left in a "bizarre manner".

The court heard each victim was beaten about the head, but that Mr Lin and his wife had particularly brutal injuries, with their faces "smashed" and completely destroyed.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-12/robert-xie-lin-family-murdered-with-hammer-bought-from-2-shop

Third trial finishing remarks
Robert Xie trial: Jury told three of five victims may have been collateral
The jury has been told the murder weapon was a hammer wrapped in a piece of cloth with a rope attached.

The prosecutor put it to the jury that Mr and Ms Lin were killed first and Irene, Terry and Henry may have been collateral victims.

Blood prints left by rope were found on the wall of Irene Lin's bedroom and it was suggested this was because the rope had come loose.

It is alleged that after the last of the five victims was killed, their attacker returned to the bedroom of Min and Lily Lin and re-arranged their bodies.

The court heard Xie made three serious mistakes that allowed the crimes to be traced back to him.

Mr Tedeschi said he used a key to enter the home and wore his favourite brand of running shoes, which left bloody shoeprints behind.

The jury was also told a piece of cloth allegedly wrapped around the face of a hammer during the attacks was also found at the scene.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-15/three-of-robert-xie-alleged-victims-may-have-been-collateral

Wow, super crazy.
Then they take in the remaining child.

Also, a jury member claimed to be raped by the defendant, what luck.

No, the jury was dismissed because a witness claimed to have been raped - that would prejudice the jury so they must be dismissed.

Oh, and DD has me so jaded my first thought is the daughter and her b/f did it lol

I wonder if any of my relatives hate me and want me dead...Nah! Maybe my sister in law...I screamed at her at a party once...made her cry and then I screamed at her again for crying at all. My brother just walked away too...let me. Families are fucked aren't they?

Last edited:
The 10 month trial has resulted in a hung jury after two weeks of deliberating. Xie's 4th, and hopefully final, trial will be sometime in early 2016.

Robert Xie murder trial: Jury fails to reach verdict over deaths of five family members in North Epping
Jurors retired to consider their verdict on November 12 and were soon sequestered at a Sydney hotel to help them focus on their task.

They first indicated they were unable to reach a unanimous verdict on Friday.

On Monday, they restated that position and were granted permission to hand down verdicts of guilty or not guilty, by a majority of 11 to one.

However, today the jury again stated it could not reach a verdict.

It prompted Justice Fullerton to discharge the jury.

"I am absolutely confident you have each given your all to what has been a lengthy trial," Justice Fullerton said.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-01/jury-hung-in-robert-xie-trial/6989248
[doublepost=1484220605,1448931966][/doublepost]
Robert Xie found guilty of murdering five members of extended family
After three years of court hearings, including four separate trials, a Supreme Court jury found Xie bludgeoned his five victims to death inside their North Epping home in July 2009.
The jury in his third trial, which lasted almost 10 months, failed to reach a verdict.

The fourth trial, which led to today's verdict, began in June last year.
Prosecutor Tanya Smith said Xie had become bitter after getting into a dispute with the adults in the Lin family over the management of their North Epping newsagency which left him feeling "subordinate".
Prosecutors said Xie secretly drugged his wife so he could leave their house in Beck Street, Epping, after 2:00am on July 18 and walk the 300 metres to the Lin family's house.

"Min and Lily not only were attacked with a hammer to their head, but their faces were disfigured," prosecutors said.

The jury heard the two boys were outside of their beds when they were killed during what Prosecutor Tanya Smith described as a "furious struggle."

Henry had defensive injuries on his forearms which the prosecution said showed he had been moving around the room during the attack.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-12/robert-xie-verdict-lin-family-murders-trial/8163294
Twmep1Q.jpg

The fact that the murder was committed while die was away & they then took her in makes me think that it was also part if his crime, but that could just be the paranoia talking :shrug:
It coulda also been an attempt to deflect suspicion, like I'm a good guy, I'd never... :meh:

Does it really matter if he's convicted? The worst punishment in that pussy country is like 8 years in prison, so what's the point anyways

Robert Xie sentenced to life in jail for 'blood-soaked' murder of Lin family
Lin family killer Robert Xie, who murdered five members of his family, has been given five life sentences without the possibility of parole.
"[Xie's] intention that all of the occupants should die despite the active resistance offered by Terry Lin, the youngest member of the family," she said.

"The commission of a series of intentional and brutal killings of five members of a family… in the early hours of the morning whilst they were sleeping or being roused from sleep, in a single episode of brutal and calculated murderous violence, is a course of offending that can only be described as heinous in the extreme."
Outside the court, a tearful Kathy Lin said her husband was innocent and she would be appealing his conviction.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-13/robert-xie-sentenced-for-life-for-murder-of-lin-family

Back