• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

gatekeeper

Loves the "Funny" Button
Ladies and gentleman, step right up and meet the DUMB F**K of the year...

bartlerpd.jpg

A New York man has been arrested after police say he fatally shot a 7-month-old as he tried to stand while holding a loaded shotgun.

Shortly before 4 p.m. on November 28, officers from the Rome Police Department responded to a residence on the report of an injured child.

Upon arrival, the officers found a 7-month-old baby boy deceased inside of the residence, according to a police news release. The baby suffered a fatal gunshot wound, police said.

The following morning, 18-year-old Henry W. Bartle, who police identified as the boyfriend of the baby’s mother, was arrested in connection with the shooting.

According to a preliminary investigation, officers determined Bartle was in the living room with his girlfriend and her son, when he took out his 12-gauge shotgun in order to clean the weapon.

After cleaning the shotgun, Bartle also loaded the weapon and installed an accessory grip onto it, police said in the news release. During this time, the shotgun rested in his lap with the muzzle pointed in the baby’s direction, the document adds.

When Bartle later tried to stand up while still holding the weapon, the gun discharged and struck the baby in the upper body area, authorities said.

Police said the baby’s identity is being withheld until all family members are notified.

Bartle was charged with one count of criminally negligent homicide and is being held in the Oneida County Correctional Facility.

http://www.hlntv.com/shows/nancy-gr...tle-arrested-in-shooting-death-of-7-month-old

The Dumb ass doesn't look like he would intentionally hurt a fly :rolleyes:
... stupid .. stupid ... stupid. SMH
I see suicide in his future :shrug: just sayin.

:arghh:

why is it so muthafucking hard to treat a weapon as if it is loaded, even tho he knew this one was loaded, why oh why did the gun have to be cleaned while the baby was there? What was so all fired important that it had to be done right then?

Probably was going to pawn it.

Of all the weapons to discharge at an assumedly close range, it had to be a 12ga. to a 7 m.o.'s upper body. Gawd only knows what was left of him. :bigtears: And good ol' mama, the other Rhodes scholar, sat right there and let him do it...I hate to say it, but probably better now than later with these two for parents. That poor, little boy never had a chance. <3

Why would you clean guns in the presence of an infant? Aren't those chemicals something children shouldn't be exposed to?
Cleaning a gun is mostly about wiping it down inside and out. The "chemicals" are just mineral oil based lubricant. Very little is used. Nothing to worry about with a baby. The problem is you don't stand up while holding a firearm in your hand. Ever. You stand up first, and then pick up the firearm.
I cannot think why he needed to load the shotgun in the house anyway. I think the whole thing was him playing with a penis extension. People like this idiot make non-gun owners think the rest of us responsible gun owners are crazy careless rednecks or something awful.
This disaster could have been avoided with the most basic of gun safety rules. Wonder how many beers he had?

And the mother has a 7 month old baby and a new boyfriend? It was a disaster waiting to happen!

Just a note re: the gun cleaner, @Satanica 's not wrong to ask about the chemicals around babies b/c not all gun cleaning chemicals are safe/non-toxic. Some of them are highly toxic depending on the gun owner's personal preferences, the ventilation in the room, and what they're cleaning (routine cleaning/maint., antique guns, old, rusted guns collectors buy, etc.). As a lifelong collector, my ex uses a couple of fume toxic, skin caustic solvents to gussy up old, rusted guns and bring them back to life. He also has a super toxic acid solvent he uses to etch off imperfections and pitting.

Popular solvents, lead, and other heavy metals, plus their fumes can not only be a respiratory hazard, but also a contact hazard for the person who's cleaning the gun. Hoppes powder solvent, Birchwood Casey gun-scrubber and Cold blue (mega toxic) are just a few of the gun cleaners that are hazardous.

Last edited:
Stupid this deadly should come with a warning label. Just omg. What was so important about the damn gun it needed to be cleaned right there around the baby?

After cleaning the shotgun, Bartle also loaded the weapon and installed an accessory grip onto it, police said in the news release.
Oh. My. Fucking. God.

No. Just fucking no. You do not remove components of a loaded firearm at any time unless you are removing them for the purpose of unloading the firearm in the event of a malfunction, the muzzle is pointed at a bullet trap, and you are trained in what you are doing.

--Al

oh this one is hard to hear. my baby turns 7 months old in three days. i cant believe that happened. it is so sad to hear. accident or not. if that happened to my baby i would take that gun and open fire to him. i hope it really was just a accident... watch in a week or so we will most likely hear this wasnt a accident. i really think there is more to this story than him "cleaning" the gun. just my opinion.

Jesus. He deserves prison just for being so fucking stupid!! The mother too. I'm trying but can't dredge up much sympathy for a woman who let him clean the damn gun in the same room as her baby, and POINTED AT HIM!!!!!

Last edited:
Oh lord ...I know this kid . I am not going to lie , he is not very smart . His family are nice people and his aunt is one of the few people in the world who I will say is my real friend . This whole thing is a mess , from what I was told the baby was almost vaporized . I remember this kid as a baby , I could say more I just dont think should . I am just glad that the baby did not suffer and it was very fast :(

Could he possibly have FAS? Something about his facial structure seems a bit that way to me. This is just horrific. I'm pro 2nd amendment, but stories like this make me think they should do IQ tests and psych evals prior to ownership. :banghead: That mom needs to go back to the brain store too... Her specimen is obviously faulty. Poor baby! I'm glad to hear it was swift at least. I just hope his 7 months leading up to this were happy, well cared for ones. :(

I cannot think why he needed to load the shotgun in the house anyway.
This a thousand times over.

There was no reason for him to load the Goddamn thing and put it on his lap unless, like you said, he was stroking his penile extension.

My house contains- 4 rifles, 4 shotguns, 2 handguns. The number of guns that are loaded upon cleaning? Two, the handguns. No long gun in my house is ever loaded right after cleaning and placed back in it's "spot" or on a lap or chair or table or anywhere. The handguns are always loaded.

Also, the number of guns that have any component changed on or in them while loaded? Exactly NONE. That's stupid magnified.

Just a note re: the gun cleaner, @Satanica 's not wrong to ask about the chemicals around babies b/c not all gun cleaning chemicals are safe/non-toxic. Some of them are highly toxic depending on the gun owner's personal preferences, the ventilation in the room, and what they're cleaning (routine cleaning/maint., antique guns, old, rusted guns collectors buy, etc.). As a lifelong collector, my ex uses a couple of fume toxic, skin caustic solvents to gussy up old, rusted guns and bring them back to life. He also has a super toxic acid solvent he uses to etch off imperfections and pitting.

Popular solvents, lead, and other heavy metals, plus their fumes can not only be a respiratory hazard, but also a contact hazard for the person who's cleaning the gun. Hoppes powder solvent, Birchwood Casey gun-scrubber and Cold blue (mega toxic) are just a few of the gun cleaners that are hazardous.
And yet, any toxin in gun cleaning solvents is nothing compared to shooting a baby in half with a shotgun because the idiot did not follow the most basic gun safety rules. It is completely immaterial to the basic problem here.

I have three rifles and a handgun. (Plus a couple pellet and BB rifles.) No children around. One rifle is in my bedroom, always loaded. In case some animal is in distress and must be put down, or to eliminate a pesky raccoon. All other firearms are unloaded. I have a personal rule: rifles are always cleaned outdoors, alone. Guns and clips are loaded while standing. It feels sensible.

Last edited:
And yet, any toxin in gun cleaning solvents is nothing compared to shooting a baby in half with a shotgun because the idiot did not follow the most basic gun safety rules. It is completely immaterial to the basic problem here.

Yep. I was just responding to your comment to @Satanica here:
Cleaning a gun is mostly about wiping it down inside and out. The "chemicals" are just mineral oil based lubricant. Very little is used.

It may be fall hunting season
I have 4 hunters in my home right now, still a pathetic excuse, as you pointed out.

And yes, in NY it would be deer season when this happened, as well as bear and assorted small game.

All long guns are unloaded on the porch before the guys come back into the house. If they want to keep them loaded then the guns stay on the porch. 2 of my hunters are children (9 and 8), one teenager (15) and one overgrown child (my husband). He and I have been around loaded weapons our whole lives, our children are raised the same way but that doesn't change the fact that every gun owner needs ot practice safety procedures.

Could he possibly have FAS? Something about his facial structure seems a bit that way to me. This is just horrific. I'm pro 2nd amendment, but stories like this make me think they should do IQ tests and psych evals prior to ownership. :banghead: That mom needs to go back to the brain store too... Her specimen is obviously faulty. Poor baby! I'm glad to hear it was swift at least. I just hope his 7 months leading up to this were happy, well cared for ones. :(

It is very possible.

I have 4 hunters in my home right now, still a pathetic excuse, as you pointed out.

And yes, in NY it would be deer season when this happened, as well as bear and assorted small game.

All long guns are unloaded on the porch before the guys come back into the house. If they want to keep them loaded then the guns stay on the porch. 2 of my hunters are children (9 and 8), one teenager (15) and one overgrown child (my husband). He and I have been around loaded weapons our whole lives, our children are raised the same way but that doesn't change the fact that every gun owner needs ot practice safety procedures.

Because you guys have sense , Hank does not have the capabilities for that .

I almost feel bad for this kid. He did something very, very dumb, and it cost an infant his life. I might be in the minority here, but my gut is telling me this wasn't malicious. Should he face jail time? Yes, he was exceptionally negligent with a deadly weapon. But I just don't think he did it on purpose.

Latest posts

Back