• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
2wp45xw.jpg
Denzel Castile​
SANDUSKY -- Athena Castile, an 11-week-old baby, died this morning after being stabbed by her second cousin, police said.

Charged with aggravated murder is Denzel Castile, 19, of Sandusky. He is being held without bond in the Erie County jail.

The teen was to be arraigned today, but Sandusky police Chief John Orzech said the suspect was too combative and had assaulted two Erie County sheriff's deputies during the arrest Thursday night.

Mr. Castile, an undecided first-year student at the University of Toledo, is now scheduled to be arraigned Monday morning at Sandusky Municipal Court.

Police were called to a home on Dewey Street in Sandusky at about 11:30 p.m. Thursday.

[..]
An unidentified female told a 911 operator that police were needed at the home, but hung up after the operator asked what was happening inside the home.

The operator called back and spoke to the female again, who said police were no longer needed.

"Our officers were just pulling up, ... and our officers are required to check to check on these 911 hang-up calls," the operator said.

Before the second call was disconnected, a large commotion with screaming could be heard in the background.

Inside the home, police found a melee with several people fighting.

One individual, assaulting someone who turned out to be the suspect, was Tased by police, the chief said. A woman in the house was struggling with the suspect over the baby; the suspect was able to get the child and ran into a hallway, the chief said.

An officer reported seeing the suspect had a knife and was stabbing the young girl. A family member was able to disarm Mr. Castile and then took the baby.

It was not clear how many times the baby was stabbed.

The chief said Mr. Castile resisted arrest at the Dewey home and "ran aggressively" at officers who Tased the suspect.

The suspect was treated at a hospital and then booked into the jail where he remained Friday night.

"We're still trying to sort this out," Chief Orzech said. "There's not any real explanation that we've found at this point as to why he did what he did, or anything that was provoking him to do that with a child. We're just still trying to sort through it and get some answers and I don't know if we're going to."

The suspect, who was not cooperating with police, appeared to only have misdemeanor charges in his criminal background.

"Our understanding is that he was almost a straight-A honor student in high school," the chief said
[...]
http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-F...man-arrested-in-case.html#g6G0YOC6BuOfmCPd.99

SANDUSKY -- A teen accused of stabbing to death an 11-week-old baby was arraigned in Sandusky Municipal Court today.

Denzel Castile, 19, was ordered to be held in the Erie County jail in lieu of $1.025 million, on charges of aggravated murder, assault on an officer, and felonious assault, a court official said.

The teen, who appeared with an attorney, did not enter a plea. The court entered a not-guilty plea on his behalf, the court official said.

[...]
Mr. Castile, a University of Toledo student, is accused of stabbing to death Athena Castile, a second cousin of the suspect.

The motive for the stabbing was not clear.
http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-F...-in-stabbing-of-baby.html#FBcKQDhP1GcAyIG0.99
b4i7w6.jpg
Athena Castile​

Wow not guilty by reason of insanity- seems to be a popular defense but not one that usually sticks!

From @GenericUser123 link:
Family members later told police Castile had not been himself since returning home from his first year of college...

He suffers from a profound mental condition that's...probably going to deteriorate as he progresses through life,” Erie County prosecutor Kevin Baxter said.

Since about one week after he was first arrested, Castile has been at the Northwest Ohio Psychiatric Hospital in Toledo. Baxter said Castile will remain at the hospital — or one similar to it — indefinitely, now that he's been found not guilty.

He'll be placed in a lockdown facility such as the one he's presently at and treated there until there's a further order of the court,” Baxter said.

I wonder what his 'mental condition' actually is? It seems to have come on suddenly & with a vengeance! And even after 2 yrs in a psych facility the dr.s don't seem to think he's improved-- or ever will?!

I just hope that they keep him on that hospital lockdown unit just as long as he would have stayed locked down in jail- for the rest of his life!

So.... He gets to finger paint and eat pudding while this baby Roy's in a tiny grave... Seems fair?

I agree. He is at prime age for onset. I have some experience working with schizophrenics and each one is uniquely different. Some required max amount of meds and couldn't be prescribed higher doses. Meds had to be adjusted often.

So.... He gets to finger paint and eat pudding while this baby Roy's in a tiny grave... Seems fair?
He can't leave. He is locked up.

Conviction requires mens rea -- a criminal mind. As it seems he is out of his mind, he could not legally form the intent to harm, much less kill, his cousin. For all we know his delusion at the moment he was murdering his cousin was that her death was required to save the universe from disaster or she was performing mind control upon him.

NGRI pleas are only entered in 1% of cases, and they are upheld in only a quarter of them. It isn't a "get out of jail free" card by any means.
I suspect schizophrenia.
The timing certainly fits the profile.

--Al

And live in a mind that is diseased enough to be found insane in a court of law. A plae with the strictest burden of proof for insanity, that means his mind is not a good place to be, and proabbaly won't be even with medication and treatment.

Yes, it's unfair that a baby died but it's equally as unfair to punish a person who cannot comprehend their actions or the possible consequences of them due to mental disease or defect.

And live in a mind that is diseased enough to be found insane in a court of law. A plae with the strictest burden of proof for insanity, that means his mind is not a good place to be, and proabbaly won't be even with medication and treatment.

Yes, it's unfair that a baby died but it's equally as unfair to punish a person who cannot comprehend their actions or the possible consequences of them due to mental disease or defect.

I think if my dad hadn't committed suicide he'd have been a high risk to kill someone else. He was a very scary man when he was delusional.

I grew up with a friend that from time to time exhibited some extreme behaviors. When we hit our twenties her behavior became even more bizarre and she stopped responding to any attempts that I and some of her other friends made to contact her. I finally was able to speak with her mother who told me that Patti had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and had been hospitalized twice during times when she was unable to cope. Although I was eventually able to reach and talk to Patti on the phone a few times after that she refused to meet with me in person no matter what I tried to tempt her out with. When I did see my friend again it was at her funeral a few years later. She never saw 30.

Back