• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Forensicwx

Final Roll Call 4153. STLCO 10-42 10/13 @ 1519
2646dn5.jpg

Police were in a shootout with a gunman inside a Planned Parenthood facility in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Friday afternoon, hours after a shooter was first reported in the area.

"The officers inside the building have encountered the individual. As of about a minute ago, they were exchanging gunfire with him," Lt. Catherine Buckley told reporters around 2:30 p.m. (4:30 p.m. ET).

At least four officers were injured in the shooting, she said. Local hospital officials said at least nine people were taken to medical facilities in the area. Details about their injuries were not immediately available.

The shooting, which was first reported around 11:30 a.m. (1:30 p.m. ET), also left a nearby shopping center on lockdown as police searched for the gunman.

"We don't have the suspect yet and we do consider this still an active situation," Buckley told reporters earlier Friday. There could be hostages and there could be an additional shooter at large, she said.

"There are a lot of possibilities with this scenario," she said. "As I said, it is very active and we are working our way through it."

FBI teams were among those responding to the scene, agency spokeswoman Deborah Sherman said.

It was not immediately clear whether Planned Parenthood was the target of the shooting.

Police said the original 911 call reporting the gunman came from the building.

One Planned Parenthood official said the motive behind the attack was unknown, but pointed to what she called a "poisonous environment that feeds domestic terrorism" as a possible cause.

http://m.koat.com/national/police-active-shooter-in-colorado-springs/36684552

Even once gunfire stops, investigators will be at the scene for hours, she said, checking out items the gunman brought with him to make sure they aren't explosives.

"We don't know what they are," she said. "We know that the suspect brought several items with him, and some of those are inside the Planned Parenthood building and some of them are out front of it."

Officers exchanged gunfire with the suspect inside the building but were not in voice contact with him, she said.

I thought we left this type of killing in the 90's. I thought people were intelligent enough to figure out many women go to PP for many reasons. I've gone there many times, none for an abortion. I have friends that went there for prenatal care. What about those people/fetuses they killed that weren't there for an abortion? Idiots...every last one of these people!

That's Joe Kenda's town. I'll bet he wishes he was still on the beat for this one. My, my, my!

Last I had heard a few minutes ago was 4 civilians dead and 5 cops dead. Plus the injured. Let me see if I can find the link again. I knew I should have saved it somewhere. But I hope the death toll is your number. It would make today less depressing.

Thanks. I'll surf around, too. This one was updated 10:15pm CST.

ETA: I hope you have better luck than I'm having. All the news from The Hill and the broadcast networks are still saying the same as CNN. Some are using the phrase "at least three", though. That's the freshest sources GooChro is letting me see.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll surf around, too. This one was updated 10:15pm CST.

ETA: I hope you have better luck than I'm having. All the news from The Hill and the broadcast networks are still saying the same as CNN. Some are using the phrase "at least three", though. That's the freshest sources GooChro is letting me see.
At the moment I'm not. It was posted on one of my news pages on Facebook, but as I have hundreds from around the world, it's hard for me to track down. The article was also talking about items that may or may not be explosives he also had set up inside and in front of the center. I am hoping it was a misprint and has been yanked to be rewritten. That count was very depressing to read, so I'd prefer it to be wrong.

Foxnews.com still says just three. So does cnn.com. 10:28 pm PST (-1 hr)
Their site also said he only went after a bank, not a clinic (video shows otherwise). So I'm not trusting their news alone on this one. But I seem to be seeing 3-4 as the tally from other sites around, and I hope it stays that way!

May not be a terrorist. There's other reasons someone might shoot up an abortion clinic. There's lots of men out there who are quite unpleased with how little say they have in the birth of their own child, men who lose out completely cuz the female wants to abort. ALways a chance something of that sort is the spark.

Not that it matters anyways what the motive is. Abortion and its supports and detractors will be the story of the day for a couple weeks, then it'll go back to the fringe where it belongs. Only skanks, uptight folks, and religious idiots drive the politics of abortion. Yawn.

Robert Lewis Dear, and he looks like a deer caught in headlights. This asshole needs a beating.

I don't think it's about the clinic at all, just random people. If I understand correctly the folks shot were mostly outside. Information seems really slow to emerge.

Last edited:
From @amac link:

But when the 57-year-old did speak, he was scatter-brained and rambled, he said.

"If you talked to him, nothing with him was very cognitive — topics all over place," Russell said, adding that Dear never commented on religion or abortion.

This sounds a lot like:

word sal·ad
noun
  1. a confused or unintelligible mixture of seemingly random words and phrases, specifically (in psychiatry) as a form of speech indicative of advanced schizophrenia.
I could be completely off on this one, and would particularly like to read what @gatekeeper and @Buffettgirl may have to say on the matter (because you rock, of course).

Last edited:
Well, I started my quote box correctly, but managed to usurp the rest of the comment!

EDIT - Forward slash. Got it.

Last edited:
From @amac link:

This sounds a lot like:

word sal·ad
noun
  1. a confused or unintelligible mixture of seemingly random words and phrases, specifically (in psychiatry) as a form of speech indicative of advanced schizophrenia.
I could be completely off on this one, and would particularly like to read what @gatekeeper and @Buffettgirl may have to say on the matter (because you rock, of course).

*S* Aww :shame: <3 . I don't know about rock, but I do know you read my mind. I don't think you're off at all to suspect Schizophrenia may very well be an issue with this guy. Given what we know so far (which isn't a lot, really), I'm thinking the same thing at this point. The descriptive Russell gave is almost textbook "code" for Word Salad if we assume he's not drug/alcohol impaired. Here we use the term "Signal 3" for a suspect/arrestee who displays signs and symptoms of schizophrenia, organic or drug-induced.

Combine that with the fact he 'brought things with him' which, if they weren't explosives, hostage "supplies", or more weapons seems pretty odd unless he was on a suicide mission leaving his possessions behind (I wish they'd have told us what they were), and he left them both 'inside and outside the building' (poss. disorganized thinking?), and lastly, his pic pops up with that particular face, and it makes it all the more possible he could be schizophrenic or schizoaffective, maybe even severe PTSD.

Re: his pic, I've mentioned before that over time as the disease progresses schizophrenics often take on the "look" of the disease to the point even people who don't work in the field can recognize it. It's also common to see that same look on the faces of combat vets who suffer from mod-severe PTSD. It's that feeling people get when they see someone and think to themselves, "Something's off about that person. They look blank/tortured/haunted/clueless/like they don't know what's going on, etc.," kind of a thing.

In truth, except for a description of his speech pattern which definitely sounds like it could be WS (would love to know if he was clanging (rhyming), too), for all we know he could just be a raging, die hard, murderous pos with a chip on his shoulder as sane as the day is long, but at this point, I wouldn't bet money on it.

I had heard that at least some of the things he brought were propane tanks. So I'm thinking he at least had something in mind for something or someone going boom.

I had heard that at least some of the things he brought were propane tanks. So I'm thinking he at least had something in mind for something or someone going boom.

Ah, can you post the link for us? Did they mention anything else besides propane?

I know they said they were going through his stuff checking for explosives, but I haven't found anything else yet that's been released on what the items were. I hope to hell it wasn't a full blown civil terrorist kit.

Back