• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
A man who survived an attack by cows in which his brother was killed has told an inquest it appeared the herd wanted to "deliberately trample" them.

John Porter said he and his brother Mike, 66, from Edinburgh, had been walking dogs on leads when they were attacked in a field in Wiltshire.

He told Salisbury Coroner's Court they picked themselves up after being trampled only to be knocked over again.

Mr Porter, from Monkton Combe, near Bath, said the cows seemed to "deliberately trample" on them "as if it was something they really wanted to do", adding that it was "extraordinary".

Mr Porter, from Monkton Combe, near Bath, said the cows seemed to "deliberately trample" on them "as if it was something they really wanted to do", adding that it was "extraordinary".

[...]

The farmer, Brian Godwin, 81, said the cows in the field were continental and British cross-breeds, which were "more excitable" than other cows.

He said he had put in place safety measures after previous incidents - including signs warning people to keep dogs on a lead and some electric fencing. Mr Godwin has since sold his cattle and is trying to establish a new herd, the court was told.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-33258217

And if Mr. Porter sincerely believes this, I'd have to say the damn cows are smarter than he is.

Maybe this will add a new twist to an old saying..."Until the Porters come home"...heh heh heh

o_O ummm..

I grew up on a small family farm, just enough animals to feed us through the winters, little tip: Cows, while I find them cute, aren't real intelligent animals.

I am not entirely certain the advice to keep dogs on leashes was good. I suspect if Mr Porter had let go the leash the dog would have saved itself and the cows would have lost interest in Mr Porter......

From my experience cows will chase after you because they are curious or if you have apples in your hands:shrug:. Not real bright as a teenager.

Last edited:
I've trespassed in plenty of fields by myself and with my dog and never had a problem. The cattle didn't seem interested in me one bit. The owners also hunted on their property, so maybe they were just used to people wandering around. Knowing this, I always wore orange. I knew the people; I just neglected to ask permission before hopping the fence. I'm an outlaw at heart, I have to admit.

From my experience cows will chase after you because they are curious or if you have apples in your hands. Not a real bright as a teenager.
True story
I was working the morning shift alone at the shelter. We had gotten a big cow in the night before. My first duty was to feed all the barn animals. I get a bucket fill it with grain and walk into the pen the cow was in. As Im walking across the open pasture, She starts coming at me full speed. *OH SHIT, I'm going to be killed.* Too late to go back, I knew I would never make it out the latched gate and the fence had barbed wire. So I decided to try and make it to a large free standing hay feeder.
My plan was to jump up in it and stay there until someone found me. The cow was so big and so fast, I couldn't jump in it. So, I kept out running her around and around the feeder. Now mind you, I was in top condition but no match for a cows speed. After about the 6th time around and getting winded, I decided to drop the bucket still clutched in my hand. The second I dropped the bucked, she stopped and started eating.
:hilarious: She didn't give two shits about me, she was hungry.

people should just stay the hell off his property. I could go on about cows but it is redundant. Figure an Angus bull gets over 2000 ibs and they all have their own headsets and you learn to kinda use common sense around them. I like letting the cattle on the front of my property starting spring as nothing like the trumpet of a bull bent will usually keep people on the other side of the fence and I have seen them mad and ready to take something down [my front door] because my cats pissed it off then it saw it's reflection in the glass of the screen and thought there was another pissed off bull

people should just stay the hell off his property. I could go on about cows but it is redundant. Figure an Angus bull gets over 2000 ibs and they all have their own headsets and you learn to kinda use common sense around them. I like letting the cattle on the front of my property starting spring as nothing like the trumpet of a bull bent will usually keep people on the other side of the fence and I have seen them mad and ready to take something down [my front door] because my cats pissed it off then it saw it's reflection in the glass of the screen and thought there was another pissed off bull

I haven't read the article, so I might be wrong in this instance, but there's every chance that they were on a public footpath. Britain is small. There are a lot of public rights of way that actually go through fields where farmers keep cattle. If so, then they had a perfect right to be there.

The fact that the farmer went through all these measures to try to keep members of the public safe because of previous incidents, then sold his herd without defending himself, makes me think it likely was a public footpath.

I haven't read the article, so I might be wrong in this instance, but there's every chance that they were on a public footpath. Britain is small. There are a lot of public rights of way that actually go through fields where farmers keep cattle. If so, then they had a perfect right to be there.

The fact that the farmer went through all these measures to try to keep members of the public safe because of previous incidents, then sold his herd without defending himself, makes me think it likely was a public footpath.
sorry, had no idea something like that even could exist!

In some countries if the path had been used by the public for a certain period of time it becomes almost like eminent domain where the public has a right to it, path existed before cows, actually if you exchange paying the taxes for rent after a while the tax payer can claim the property and you can do nothing about it

the tax payer can claim the property and you can do nothing about it
This alone enables private property owners those constitutional rights that snowflakes raise one fist clenched up screaming: Me Good, You Bad. I'm special, give me, giv-me, gime, gme. me

what's snowflake slang for?

We usually use snowflake, or some kind of variant spelling like "sneauxflake", etc. to describe the "perfect, precious, oh-so-sensitive and fragile" Stepfordesque children (according to their parents) who never do anything wrong.

I *think* @NoBS is referring to certain politically partisan/special interest groups who feel they're right/special and demand they get their own way. I know the next time he pops in he'll correct me if I'm wrong. :)

referring to certain politically partisan/special interest groups who feel they're right/special and demand they get their own way.
Hard to correct someone on point. Easy to spot, just look for an altruistic social activist with no personal survival instincts. A Snowflake retards Common sense for social entitlements.

image.jpg

I'd never herd of those statistics, I thought it must be a misteak but it's true! I'm udderly shocked!:cow:

Back