• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

gatekeeper

Loves the "Funny" Button
Story courtesy of @Keepalowprofile :

images

Random photo
Two employees of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals took and killed a little girl's dog just over a year ago.

Now a lawsuit has been filed in Virginia state court asking PETA to pay Wilber Zarate Llaven and his daughter Cynthia more than $7 million in compensatory and punitive damages for the death of Maya the Chihuahua.

"We wanted to hold PETA accountable for what they did to Maya and the Zarate family," the family's attorney, William Shewmake, told The Huffington Post.

PETA -- which operates a controversial, high-kill animal shelter at its headquarters in Norfolk, Virginia -- has already admitted to killing the dog.

Surveillance footage shows two PETA employees luring Maya away from the Zarates' mobile home and into their van. She was dead by the next day, when the family reached shelter workers looking for their dog.

In February, after being fined $500 by the Commonwealth of Virginia, the group said in a statement that Maya had accidentally been taken as part of a roundup of stray and unwanted animals in the area. Maya's killing was called "extremely upsetting" and a "tragic mistake." The fine was for killing Maya too quickly; under Virginia law, she should have been kept alive for at least five days.

The suit, which you can read here, was filed Monday.

Among the allegations is that Maya's death fits with the group's longstanding practice "to kill lost or stray pets" instead of finding them homes or returning them to their owners -- a claim that is bolstered by PETA's self-reported figures filed with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

These figures show that in 2014, PETA's Norfolk shelter took in 1,606 cats, of which 1,536 were euthanized. Of the 1,025 dogs taken in, 788 were euthanized.

A PETA spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the lawsuit.

Longtime PETA critic Nathan Winograd, who advocates for ending animal shelter euthanasia, tells HuffPost he's optimistic that this lawsuit will do more than just help make Maya's family whole.

He said that inside the animal welfare world, PETA's sheltering practices are well-known. But they're less known to the general public -- and the group's many celebrity supporters. This lawsuit, he hopes, will change that.

"Hopefully it will provide further proof to those who continue to support them that PETA is not what it pretends to be," Winograd said. "Although nothing can bring Maya back and nothing can undo robbing her of her life and her family of her love."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/peta-maya-chihuahua_5654d2a6e4b0258edb335808

They lost their way long ago. One of the founders made a statement to the effect that ideally companion animals shouldn't be kept, and observed only in the wild. What an ecological disaster that would be, aside from the basic inhumanity of discarding domesticated species.

I was a member of PETA in the early 80's when their big push was on shutting down the dog markets in China and other Asian countries where live dogs' legs and muzzles were bound tight with bailing wire laying side by side on the hot concrete from sun up to sun down for sale in the meat markets.

While I don't begrudge anyone a meal, esp. in impoverished countries, and I know one person's pet is another person's sustenance, the butchers and live meat sellers were bashing their heads in with bricks and sledge hammers and slitting their throats, letting them bleed out right where they lay as soon as the customer had chosen which dog they wanted. I'm not a spoiled American who rails about what others call food (have a Vietnamese friend and his wife who grew up on rats and rice), but the outright cruelty involved was unacceptable to me. There are other ways to keep DEAD meat fresh.

Shortly after that, they went after commercial sheep farms and a large farm mysteriously exploded with people working in the main building not to mention the sheep that were killed and I dumped them for good. It's a damned shame such a great org turned into splinter groups of outright terrorists no better than the "enemies" they're trying to stop. JMO.

When I lived in Tucson, AZ, a PeTA group broke into the experimental animal labs @University of Arizona and set disease infected animals "free." I was living about a 1/2 mile away at the time with a wife & 2 step-children. Some of those animals were infected with some highly infectious diseases.
Needless to say, it was a time of great fear & trepidation on behalf of those of us in the "ground zero" zone.

My current property is legally posted, and there is a sign that specifically disallows any trespassing by PeTA in particular. If a PeTA vehicle ever rolls up on my property, it won't be rolling off under it's own power. (Let's just say that 30+ rounds of 7.62x39 API ammo don't leave vehicle engine blocks intact.) The occupants will be placed under civilian arrest & turned over to the sheriff's office unharmed if they do not resist with violence. All in all, I think I'm being rather generous...

Last edited:
I appreciate all the snowflakes in PETA.
They are the best form of advertising that civilized humans can ever have. Find one PETA member who is conservative, and I'll show you an undercover operative filming evidence of criminal activity.
As with OWS, BLM, SnowFlakeVictimhood, or what ever Social Activist Agenda is marketable, they require a victim and a scapegoat. They all depend on emotional liberal logic(sic) to convert the low info types into disciples of Liberalism.
Snowflake Liberals Rule! Now murder your fucking bird and puke!
Drunk Thanksgiving Happyday!

I love dogs but under what circumstance is a pet worth 7 million bucks in damages? Seems like they just want the cash. I want to see them pay for the evil they did but with that insane amount of money it makes it less about the cause and more about the payout.

Part of that is compensatory -- to make the family whole again. The remainder is punitive -- to make PeTA pay.

--Al

I never knew this about Peta I was always under the impression they don't harm animal's. I guess I was wrong.
I'm with you on that.

How does an organization claim loudly that many are mistreating animals when they run a high-kill animal shelter? Isn't that mistreatment? The animals aren't even being given a chance before they are killed.

Anyone who is unfamiliar with the origins of PETA ought to read an unbiased summary of the Silver Spring monkeys case, Alex Pacheco, and Edward Taub. I suggest Jeffrey M. Schwartz's account in The Mind and the Brain.

Neither PETA nor the HSUS has a solitary interest beyond promoting a radical political agenda.

HSUS is under indictment for racketeering & money laundering. They also keep most of their funds in protected offshore accounts. All they do is lobby for their own interests. That's shorthand for one big, long fukkin' party at the donors' expense.

#1) Humane society.
As some of you may know, I was an animal control officer for 22 years. 12 of those years, I was a euthanasia tech. (for those that don't know what that means, I put animals to death. For several hours a day, I would humanely inject unwanted pets with a lethal dose of phenobarbital. One after the other until the job was done.)
I worked at a county ran shelter. In our county, we had two shelters. The one I worked at was animal control funded by tax and dog license fees. The other shelter was owned and operated by The Humane society. For those that don't understand the difference, Animal control is designed to keep the public safe from animals. (while also offering animals up for adoption.) The humane society (originally) was designed to keep animals safe from people. They also like to say they are a no kill shelter. Thats true, no animals are ever put to death at their shelter (I'll touch more on that in a minute). If you wish to take your animal to one of the humane society shelters, You must make a reservation and leave a donation. They call it a donation but will not accept your animal without money. They will not tell you the disposition of your animal if you come/call and ask. Because they scream at the top of their lungs that they are a NO KILL SHELTER, Your average person would think that their animal will either get a home or stay at the shelter until hell freezes over, RIGHT?
Nope! Because I had the lovely task of putting the animals down, I also had the task of inspecting the paperwork before injection. I can't say the thousands of animal that were left at the humane society, a donation was paid and the animal was brought right over to animal control of euthanasia. While its true no animals are actually put down at their shelter, I don't consider their hands blood free either.

Be back later to post more.

I'm with you on that.

How does an organization claim loudly that many are mistreating animals when they run a high-kill animal shelter? Isn't that mistreatment? The animals aren't even being given a chance before they are killed.
Hypocrisy at its best.

#1) Humane society.
As some of you may know, I was an animal control officer for 22 years. 12 of those years, I was a euthanasia tech. (for those that don't know what that means, I put animals to death. For several hours a day, I would humanely inject unwanted pets with a lethal dose of phenobarbital. One after the other until the job was done.)
I worked at a county ran shelter. In our county, we had two shelters. The one I worked at was animal control funded by tax and dog license fees. The other shelter was owned and operated by The Humane society. For those that don't understand the difference, Animal control is designed to keep the public safe from animals. (while also offering animals up for adoption.) The humane society (originally) was designed to keep animals safe from people. They also like to say they are a no kill shelter. Thats true, no animals are ever put to death at their shelter (I'll touch more on that in a minute). If you wish to take your animal to one of the humane society shelters, You must make a reservation and leave a donation. They call it a donation but will not accept your animal without money. They will not tell you the disposition of your animal if you come/call and ask. Because they scream at the top of their lungs that they are a NO KILL SHELTER, Your average person would think that their animal will either get a home or stay at the shelter until hell freezes over, RIGHT?
Nope! Because I had the lovely task of putting the animals down, I also had the task of inspecting the paperwork before injection. I can't say the thousands of animal that were left at the humane society, a donation was paid and the animal was brought right over to animal control of euthanasia. While its true no animals are actually put down at their shelter, I don't consider their hands blood free either.

This is true about the local humane society in my area.

#1) Humane society.

That's fucked up. Please post more stories/info.

That's fucked up. Please post more stories/info.

P.E.T.A
In the late 80,s, I was working at a large shelter in so Cali.

Some where in Chicago there was a large scale break in- in a medical lab.
We all heard about it because it was a huge story.
2 monkeys, several dogs, cats, rabbits etc were stolen (or rescued as members of PETA would later claim)
About 5 weeks later, we get a call from a Lady that tells us her neighbor in her LATE 80's is trying to care for some animals that her daughter brought there in a u-haul and left there.

They were stuffed in cages and make shift cages.
Sure enough, they were the missing animals. 2 dogs and 1 cat was dead and the rest were suffering horribly.
Yes, some were suffering from the original testing but nothing like the suffering caused by lack of food, water and clean cages.
At the direction of the FBI and our local police we impounded them.

There was a court case that lasted 3 years. So we had to keep them in our shelter as evidence. We had to give them extensive medical care.
When the case was finally over, one chick was sentanced to 90 days in jail and fined a very small dollar amount. (thats it)
The judge said over and over how her love for animals was evident. She never did break and rat out anyone else so the judge commended her on her loyalty.
This was the types of things that damaged me mentally.

I did adopt one of the cats. Proud to say I got to love on her for 19 years.
Her early days with us were comical as she never lived outside a cage and was terrified of carpet and material things like couches.

For the first year she lived In our entertainment center like it was a cage/compartment only getting out to potty and eat. She would try her damnedest to jump from her perch to the coffee table and then to the kitchen... She never made the second jump without landing on carpet lololol then she would buck like a newborn colt all the way to the safe zone of the tile floor.
Her death was more trauma than I can put into words. My sons grew up with her as they were all about the same age.
I never knew her original name or if she even had one? But we named her sunshine. She was a very large cat. Not fat, large. She had a bunch if extra toes with tiny extra toes in between the regular extra toes.
She was declared on the main toes but the in between toes still had tiny claws I had to trim them or they would grow in a circle and penetrate her toes. She never fussed. It never occurred to her to protest. She was some kind of wonderful.
I miss her still.

P.E.T.A
In the late 80,s, I was working at a large shelter in so Cali.

Some where in Chicago there was a large scale break in- in a medical lab.
We all heard about it because it was a huge story.
2 monkeys, several dogs, cats, rabbits etc were stolen (or rescued as members of PETA would later claim)
About 5 weeks later, we get a call from a Lady that tells us her neighbor in her LATE 80's is trying to care for some animals that her daughter brought there in a u-haul and left there.

They were stuffed in cages and make shift cages.
Sure enough, they were the missing animals. 2 dogs and 1 cat was dead and the rest were suffering horribly.
Yes, some were suffering from the original testing but nothing like the suffering caused by lack of food, water and clean cages.
At the direction of the FBI and our local police we impounded them.

There was a court case that lasted 3 years. So we had to keep them in our shelter as evidence. We had to give them extensive medical care.
When the case was finally over, one chick was sentanced to 90 days in jail and fined a very small dollar amount. (thats it)
The judge said over and over how her love for animals was evident. She never did break and rat out anyone else so the judge commended her on her loyalty.
This was the types of things that damaged me mentally.

I did adopt one of the cats. Proud to say I got to love on her for 19 years.
Her early days with us were comical as she never lived outside a cage and was terrified of carpet and material things like couches.

For the first year she lived In our entertainment center like it was a cage/compartment only getting out to potty and eat. She would try her damnedest to jump from her perch to the coffee table and then to the kitchen... She never made the second jump without landing on carpet lololol then she would buck like a newborn colt all the way to the safe zone of the tile floor.
Her death was more trauma than I can put into words. My sons grew up with her as they were all about the same age.
I never knew her original name or if she even had one? But we named her sunshine. She was a very large cat. Not fat, large. She had a bunch if extra toes with tiny extra toes in between the regular extra toes.
She was declared on the main toes but the in between toes still had tiny claws I had to trim them or they would grow in a circle and penetrate her toes. She never fussed. It never occurred to her to protest. She was some kind of wonderful.
I miss her still.
Thank you for sharing.

Back