• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://news.yahoo.com/japan-researchers-chimps-caring-disabled-infant-082219199.html

A chimpanzee mother cared for her disabled infant in the wild in Tanzania, Japanese researchers reported in a study published this week, research they hope will help in understanding the evolution of social care in humans.

A team of Kyoto University researchers discovered that a "severely disabled" female chimpanzee baby was born in a group in Tanzania's Mahale Mountains National Park in 2011, and recorded behaviour of the group for about two years.

"The observed infant exhibited symptoms resembling Down syndrome, similar to those reported previously for a captive chimpanzee," they said in an abstract of the study published Monday in the online edition of Primates, an international journal of primatology.

"The mother's compensatory care for her infant's disabilities and allomothering of the infant by its sister might have helped it to survive for 23 months in the wild" when the infant disappeared and was believed to have died, they said.

Allomothering refers to care of infants performed by those other than the biological mother.

The mother and the sister of the chimpanzee supported its body with their arms when the mother was breastfeeding it, Michio Nakamura, associate professor at Kyoto University's Wildlife Research Center, told AFP on Wednesday.

"Usually, a chimpanzee baby can hang onto their care-giver by itself, but this infant's legs were not powerful enough," he said.

"It is the first time it was observed in the wild that a disabled chimpanzee was receiving social care."

"We believe the study offers a fresh clue as to how human society, which socially cares for disabled members, has evolved," he said.

Signs of social care for the disabled have been discovered in research on human ancestors, and "there has been discussion that the ability to give care was probably obtained when our ancestors became humans," he noted.

The mother of the baby did not allow nonrelatives to take care of the disabled infant even though she had been previously relatively tolerant of allomothering by nonrelatives for her other children, the researchers said.

"Other group members did not show any averse or fearful reactions to the disabled infant," the study said.

It gives you hope that one day all humans will evolve to this level of care of the most helpless in society.

Last edited:
To bad some of the "mothers" on this site dont exhibit thus behavior.
Oh hell...some of the "mothers" on this site don't come within three light years of anything resembling "maternal instinct"...in fact, I daresay, many aren't even human.

Not impressed.

Chimpanzees are still the most evil, sadistic, vile creatures on the planet. Fuck them. They prob only tried this hard to keep this chimp alive cuz they're that hellbent on adding yet another monster to their demented horde of pain and death.

JACK!!?! I'm guessing you didn't grow up watching Disney? :woot:

At least this story gave me the warm fuzzies for all of 10 seconds.

Last edited:
it not uncommon for rogue males to kill infant chimpanzees in order to mate with females
Huh, it's not unheard of for rogue human males to kill infants in roder to stick their dicks in the mother either...

They might be on to something with that evolution thing...

JACK!!?! I'm guessing you didn't grow up watching Disney? :woot:

Negative. Jungle Book is one of my all time favs, and it was smart enough to make the primates a wild, uncontrolled group of villainous hooligans.

Back