• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

gatekeeper

Loves the "Funny" Button
Story courtesy of @Buffettgirl :

yoga.jpg

A yoga instructor who teaches at the University of Ottawa says she is fighting to keep her program alive after the school’s student body suspended it over concerns that “cultural issues” relating to the class could offend students.

Jennifer Scharf, who has been offering free weekly sessions at the university’s Center for Students with Disabilities since 2008, told the Ottawa Sun that she was informed in September that the program would not come back for the fall semester.

In an email exchange between Scharf and a representative of the university’s Student Federation -- which was viewed by the newspaper -- a student wrote that “while yoga is a really great idea and accessible and great for students... there are cultural issues of implication involved in the practice.

"Yoga has been under a lot of controversy lately due to how it is being practiced," the email continues, and which cultures those practices "are being taken from."

The Student Federation, which operates the center, went on to say that many of those cultures “have experienced oppression, cultural genocide and diasporas due to colonialism and Western supremacy... we need to be mindful of this and how we express ourselves while practicing yoga."

Student Federation Acting President Romeo Ahimakin told the Ottawa Sun that the class has been put on hold until a way can be figured out "to make it better, more accessible and more inclusive to certain groups of people that feel left out in yoga-like spaces.

“We are trying to have those sessions done in a way in which students are aware of where the spiritual and cultural aspects come from, so that these sessions are done in a respectful manner,” he added.

But Scharf, who instructed about 60 students each week in the program, said, "people are just looking for a reason to be offended by anything they can find."

Scharf says she offered the student body leaders a compromise by suggesting she change the name of the course to “mindful stretching,” but after some debate, they couldn’t reach an agreement.

"I guess it was this cultural appropriation issue because yoga originally comes from India," she told CBC News. "We're not going through the finer points of Scripture. We're talking about basic physical awareness and how to stretch so that you feel good.”

Scharf added that she is “fighting so hard” to keep the class.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/1...ts-cultural-issues-could-offend/?intcmp=hpbt2

I just made a post in the Paris thread about the student body of one particular university (i can't remember which one) didn't want the student body to have a moment of silence for the victims of 9/11 because they didn't want to offend the muslims on the campus. I'll go find the link and be right back and you can read it for yourself.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...remembering-9-11-is-offensive-to-muslims.html

insanity ain't it?

Last edited:
Horse shit.

If there are people that don't feel included because of their cultural background, then they need to join something else.

For crying out loud, it's exercise. Call it something else.
Call it body bending. Who cares?

smdh... the Doc just told me I should try yoga, now what am I gonna do??? :shifty:
Might I suggest seeing if your local library has a copy of Rodney Yee and Patricia Worden's AM/PM yoga and starting with one or the other? It will only take 20 minutes out of your day. The PM yoga is a nice way to calm your brain after a hectic day AND is very gentle on your body. The AM yoga will build strength...gradually. I was doing it for several months before I realized that I had developed abs.

When I do my morning yoga/stretching I utilize moves that I learned in both of those. I credit Rodney Yee for the fact that I'm in better shape now than I was 20 years ago.

Fun fact: Yoga wasn't taken from India, but was brought to the US by people from India. One of the best places to get away from it all and learn some yoga, the Kripalu Institute, was one of several centers founded by Indian teachers. Credible Hulk uses facts to back up statements: http://www.yogajournal.com/article/history-of-yoga/yogas-trip-america/

Last edited:
W in th AF is going on (rhetorical)!?!

Somebody better get on the stick and find Einstein's ashes so we can liquify them into soup and dump them in the sewer for his role in the A-bomb because it's offensive to Japan.

We had ESL classes at school, but it wasn't open to me because I already spoke English. I felt left out. I should've lobbied along with my English-speaking, generational American students to have that class shut down.

And how offensive is the Lincoln Memorial? There are plenty of people right here in our own country who're offended by that!

When I go to Powwow and the Lakota Sundancers are dancing the Wiwanke Wachipi, I'm not allowed to join them because Lakota (Sioux) aren't in my family bloodline and I feel left out. Note to self: Get together with all other tribes next year and file a complaint with MW Plains Council to allow everyone to dance during everyone else's presentation.

And, how about this Mothers and Fathers Day, and Grandparents Day malarkey? What about the tens of thousands or more of us who don't have any? How is that fair to the rest of us taxpayers and voters who have to go shopping just like everyone else only to be reminded we have no place walking down those aisles of gifts?

And lastly, I think universities that have gyms, indoor sports arenas, workout rooms, swimming pools, sports practice/game areas, outdoor track & field event areas, and the like should either be covered or have to have visual access blocked from the outside because it's rude, insensitive and offensive to plus-sized students who aren't athletic and/or those who just aren't interested in sports.

I will *not* be happy until this world is PC and every single person on Planet Earth is satisfied!

Last edited:
we need to be mindful of this and how we express ourselves while practicing yoga."
No, we need to stop. Seriously, just stop being so fucking sensitive and butt-hurt over absolutely fucking everything that everyone does.

And if you can't, how about you just sit in your house without a TV, radio or any other media sources so nothing and no one can ever offend you again.

Social Justice Warriors really are the worst kind of people. I really wish people would realise it is okay to ignore them, because they are always, always wrong.

Self indulgent little shits.

The student who complained and the Student Federation President both need to be expelled from school....between the two of them, they have a combined IQ of 20.

I read this yesterday. Fucking freaks have ruined lieralism and the Democratic party with their superfluous political correctness bullshit. I hope they all get drafted and sent off to war:finger:

Take a gander at this,
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/
Thanks man. Really good article, and long. Basically explains all the shit I've been complaining about for the last ten or so years. I knew we were fucking doomed, thanks to minds that will do anything to get a vote, not matter how large a detriment to the greater society.

Fuck the assholes who've fucked it all up. I'm moving to Iceland.

how about you just sit in your house without a TV, radio or any other media sources so nothing and no one can ever offend you again.
That won't work either, because then they will be offended that they have to hide in the house without any media in order to avoid being offended.

Several years ago a college professor was sued by a black student because he used the word "niggardly". The class was on Chaucer and the word has Middle English origin, and the word appears in literature of the time. The prof claimed he explained the definition and it's origin but the student claimed he did it deliberately to offend her.

Several years ago a college professor was sued by a black student because he used the word "niggardly".
I remember that.

What of the person who wishes to accuse another of impropriety? Shall we sacrifice the very useful word "denigrate" upon the altar of political correctness as well?

--Al

Great fucking news i think. Good to see there's lots of PC bros at University of Ottawa. Looks like they checked the ever-living shit out of that stuck up yoga bitch's privilege.

Shame on the rest of ya for disliking this.

Are you guys even PC?

Back