• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Oberle

Trusted Member
My heart just breaks for this little girl. The last ping on the mother's cell phone was from the vicinity of the park where her abandoned car was found. If Melissa Doyle is still alive, I hope she comes back soon. That's a big "if" though, dammit.

Video of 10 year-old Madison at link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/missouri-girl-mom-disappearance_56549d82e4b0d4093a594a8a

A 10-year-old Missouri girl is asking for the public's help in locating her mother, who vanished six months ago during a trip to a Kansas City gas station.

"It's been tough because my mom missed my 10th birthday, and that's double digits," Madison Doyle told Kansas City's KMBC‑TV. "And, being 10 now, I'm getting better at taking care of myself, but my mom is important. She's my favorite person."

May 18 was the last time Madison saw her mother, 41-year-old Melissa Doyle, at their Northland home.

"She was tucking me into bed," Madison told KMBC-TV. "Then, I woke up that morning and she was still there, and then I went to my bus stop and when I came back from school, she wasn't there."

According to Doyle's niece, Erika McKenzie, her aunt was running an errand when she disappeared.

"She was supposed to go take my grandpa to the [Department of Motor Vehicles] to get his license renewed," McKenzie told The Huffington Post. "Before she did that she said she was going to get some gas for her car. That was around 11 a.m. and she never returned."

Eight days later, Doyle's vehicle was found abandoned at Anita B. Gorman Park, a 45 acre recreation area on Vivion Road in Kansas City. According to McKenzie, the park is located about a mile from her aunt's home.

"The police conducted several searches of the park," she said. "They brought a helicopter out and conducted ground searches with K9's. They were very thorough and never found anything."

Authorities have yet to say whether they suspect foul play. A spokesperson for the Kansas City Police Department did not immediately return a call for comment from HuffPost on Tuesday.

McKenzie said her aunt had been having a difficult time in the months leading up to her disappearance and was in the process of divorcing her husband of nearly 20 years.

"She had a lot going on, but I just don't think she would have left Madison without any answers," McKenzie said. "Plus, she left her money in the safe at my grandma's house. If she was just going to up and leave why wouldn't she take that money with her? I think something really bad has happened."

Doyle did not take her purse when she left home, but did have her keys, wallet and cell phone. The cell phone, according to her niece, last pinged a cell tower near Anita B. Gorman Park on the day of her disappearance.

"That's pretty much all we know," McKenzie said. "The problem is that the communication with the police hasn't really been that great. It's been really hard to get information from them."

McKenzie described her aunt as a loving individual who would "give the shirt off of her back" to help others. She also said her aunt had a strong bond with her little cousin, who has been having a difficult time dealing with her mom's disappearance.

"She's having a hard time understanding what's going on," McKenzie said of Madison. "She says she just wants to be with her mommy."

Madison, who was unavailable for comment Tuesday, relayed some of those feelings in her interview with KMBC‑TV.

"I mostly think about when she's going to come back, what she would be doing at this time," Madison said. "Lots of people do forget, and I personally, I have forgotten how she sounds. I can't remember that ... I hope that someday she'll be sitting right here next to me again."

Melissa Doyle is described as being 5 feet 5 inches tall and 135 pounds, with blonde hair and green eyes. She was last seen wearing a pink American Eagle zip-up sweatshirt. Anyone with information about Doyle's disappearance is asked to call Kansas City police at 816-234-5111. For more information, visit Help Find Melissa Doyle on Facebook.​

Utterly heartbreaking for that child. "...double digits..." That really killed me - so young, so proud, trying to stay positive while going through this crap.

I'll presume police have interviewed the husband though I didn't find any info about him...

I know the husband would be my first stop on the search for her. I couldn't watch the video, I'm crying just reading it.

I know the husband would be my first stop on the search for her. I couldn't watch the video, I'm crying just reading it.

Damn.. Usually when I see there is a number of comments after a thread starts ,I will wait to click on a link till after I finish reading and because my attention span is very short in my older years, I usually forget about clicking on the link... But your comment reminded me this time.. And ..ugghh that video is so sad,what a brave and strong lil girl.. I hope some other family member is stepping up and trying to be a substitute mom ..

The police not giving much information to the family tells me they are most likely NOT actively looking for her.. I don't think this is gonna be a happy ending

Utterly sad. Such a pretty little girl. I know she has such high hopes. Although I hope her mother is alive...I suspect foul play due to her plans for the day and the area her car was found. Wish I knew more.

Sadly, as expected, this story didn't end well. Hopefully there will be justice for Melissa Doyle someday soon. From the Huffington Post, Dec. 14:

"Missing Missouri Mom's Family Receives Heartbreaking News
"We hoped that she was still alive and out there somewhere."
6 days ago

A six-month search for a missing Missouri woman ended on Friday, when authorities said they'd found the remains of 41-year-old Melissa Doyle.

Family members broke the news to Doyle's 10-year-old daughter, Madison.

"We had to tell Madison after we found out and she just cried and cried," Doyle's niece, Erika McKenzie, told The Huffington Post. "It was heartbreaking and she's not at school today."
According to McKenzie, Doyle's body was found Dec. 6, less than a mile from Anita B. Gorman Park, a 45-acre recreation area on Vivion Road in Kansas City. The park was also about a mile from Doyle's home.

It took authorities until Friday to positively identify her remains.

"A couple walking their dog found her," McKenzie said.

Authorities have not determined the cause of Doyle's death, and have yet to say whether they suspect foul play. The medical examiner told the family it could take up to three months to complete the investigation."

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/missing-mom-melissa-doyle-dead_566f2c02e4b011b83a6c2717

I hope they find out info quickly. I know nothing about the husband or details about their divorce, but I can just feel Dateline or 48 Hours all over this, and it's always the spouse or significant other. Divorce= The living estranged spouse. Gotta be. I'd put money on it.

Back