• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/12-year-old-boy-killed-father-in-hospital-in-murde/npPf6/

A Lilburn father confessed to killing his 12-year-old special needs son, but a motive remained unclear Tuesday, according to police.

Police said Fikri Erdem admitted to cutting his son Hakan’s throat with a large kitchen knife and stabbing himself in the arms before calling 911. Police have said the incident appeared to be a murder and attempted suicide.

The father is charged with one count of malice murder. He was still hospitalized under police guard Tuesday at Gwinnett Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

Monday night, police say Hakan Erdem a was found dead shortly after 9 p.m. in a small pickup truck in the back parking lot of the First Baptist Church in Lilburn.While the church is near the family’s home, police said the family is not affiliated with the church and it was unknown why the father chose the church’s parking lot.

Fikri Erdem called his wife, Gunes Erdem, at 7:44 p.m. Monday - less than two hours before he called police to the church parking lot - and left her a message, police said. He told her he was sorry and asked her to tell their daughters that it was an accident. He then disconnected the call.

As Fikri Erdem was being taken to the hospital, Gunes and another woman arrived at the church and said they were on their way to the Lilburn Police Department to report that he and Hakan were missing.

Lilburn police Capt. Thomas Bardugon said Tuesday that Hakan was a special needs child, according to his mother, and a Patch news outlet reported previously that the father said his son suffered from cerebral palsy and could not walk or talk.

His mother told investigators afterward that Hakan screamed and yelled a great deal and needed constant care. She told investigators Fikri Erdem had been unable to sleep for about 10 days.

Last edited:
Yeah cuts the boys throat and then stabs himself in the arms! Really? Could have at least aimed for the heart or brain.

Why hadn't the father slept for 10 days? Why would you think someone who hadn't slept for 10 days would be in any condition to be with any child special needs or not?

could that go toward state of mind at his trial?
Yes, but the reason why he didn't sleep would have more bearing on everything.

If he didn't sleep for 10 days because he wsa on a drug bender then, while relevant, his state of mind would be more of a voluntary intoxication issue. If he couldn't sleep because of stress, depression, medical issues, soemthing that he can't control like drug use then his state of mind as a result would be very relevant and a mitigating factor.

Long periods of time without sleep can cause a whole host of problems, including a state of mind like psychosis and if he didn't induce that on himslef with drug use then it could and more than liely would have a huge impact on his trial.

I want to see where this goes. If dad really didn't sleep for so long and snapped, this is a real tragedy. I'm not very familiar with cerebral palsy so I'm not sure how bad it gets, but if the kid was really suffering so much I can see how the situation got desperate.

I want to see where this goes. If dad really didn't sleep for so long and snapped, this is a real tragedy. I'm not very familiar with cerebral palsy so I'm not sure how bad it gets, but if the kid was really suffering so much I can see how the situation got desperate.
having a friend that has cerebral palsy...it varies. my friend has a twisted leg and arm. however, it can be so bad as to speech problems. it is a nerve/muscle thing, not really a brain thing (in the way that people see ds, or other neurological problems). my line of thought is that dad had really bad problems regardless...i mean, most folks don't stay up for over a week unless drugs or psychosis is involved.

Last edited:
my line of thought is that dad had really bad problems regardless...i mean, most folks don't stay up for over a week unless drugs or psychosis is involved.

That's a good point. I also wonder if he really was awake for a so long, of if it was a figure of speech sort of thing, with him sleeping only an hour or two every day, day and a half or so. Because I've been in the latter position when I was a teen, and after a day or 5-6 I felt very detached from reality.

Back