• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Oberle

Trusted Member
Ironic outcome for someone adopting a dog from the "Rabies Control" unit. Feel bad for all involved.

635832078686365153-Rottweiler-1_zpsuktyxyvi.jpg

The Rottweiler that killed Anthony Riggs was adopted from Jackson-Madison County Rabies Control.(Photo: Jackson-Madison County Rabies Control)

http://www.jacksonsun.com/story/new...-attack-spent-5-days-rabies-control/75897632/

A dog that killed his new owner was a stray picked up by a city employee five days before his adoption, according to Kim Tedford, director of the Jackson-Madison County Regional Health Department.

Anthony Riggs, 57, had adopted the Rottweiler from Jackson-Madison County Rabies Control, which is a part of the health department, Thursday morning. The dog attacked and killed him later that same day, according to the Madison County Sheriff's Office.

Per Tennessee law, a dog picked up on the street or given up by its owner must be held for at least three days, Tedford said. If the animal has an identification chip or a collar with a name, they keep the dog for five to seven days.

During the three days, the animals are fed and watered, but not examined or tested, Tedford said. If unclaimed, they are then put online for adoption. Vaccinations and spaying or neutering are arranged by the owner after adoption.

Adrienne Riggs said policies should be changed for Rabies Control, including evaluating the animals over a period of time.

“They don’t assess the dogs, they don’t vet them, they don’t evaluate them, they just adopt them out,” Adrienne Riggs said. “You just can’t put a dog that may be dangerous out with an unsuspecting family. That’s just wrong.”

Tedford said Rabies Control leaves animals up for adoption for as long as possible, but has to euthanize animals when the 24 dog kennels are full.

Tedford said she hoped Riggs’ death would not stop people from adopting.

“We’ve never had this happen before through our Rabies Control office,” she said. “We certainly hope it’s something that never happens again. Our prayers and thoughts certainly go out to the family.”​

“They don’t assess the dogs, they don’t vet them, they don’t evaluate them, they just adopt them out,”
Um, seems like this is something that needs to change, like yesterday.

Any dog can be dangerous, it seems irresponsible for a organization like this to not evaluate the dogs, if not down right negligent.

In my town EVERYONE thinks they are a gangster and they all have HUGE pit bulls with spiked choke chains. I have been approached so many times by dogs that look like they could kill me and they usually just slobber on me... I Think that is nasty but at least I live to tell "tail" so to speak

I'm willing to bet the dog was food aggressive. That's the most likely scenario, imho.

Um, seems like this is something that needs to change, like yesterday.

Any dog can be dangerous, it seems irresponsible for a organization like this to not evaluate the dogs, if not down right negligent.

It's surprising to me the county affords such a program in the first place. Good on em for that. You can't throw a huge amount of money into something like this, getting the dogs vet treatment and whatnot to include more involved things like temperament testing. And what happens if a dog is deemed to be a possible problem, kill it on the spot? What if someone has the means to rehabilitate animals, some caesar milan type?

The responsibility lies on the new owner. You get a dog from the pound, you should be responsible enough to recognize that it could have some issues, that you should get it checked out for medical issues or behavioral risk factors.

I agree to some point, but this dog's issues were beyond the average person's ability to handle. In a case of food aggression, for instance, most of us would not expect that the dog would just keep attacking. I'm still very curious as to what set off this animal.

Back