• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

gatekeeper

Loves the "Funny" Button
cop-shoots-4-year-old-girl.jpg

Columbus, OH — A mother’s attempt to get medical help for a cut on her arm turned into a nightmare after a trigger happy cop showed up. The dramatic 9-1-1 recordings were just published, detailing this insane incident that happened back in June.

The nightmare began after Andrea Ellis had cut her arm on some glass and her sister dialed 9-1-1 for medical help.

“She’s bleeding all over the place!” her sister said in the call. “I need a paramedic!”

As she was on the call, her sister saw a police officer nearby and called him over for help.

“Sir, can you get me a paramedic?! I need a paramedic here!” she said.

According to the report by Inside Edition:

But as the cop approached the house, events took a horrific turn. Cops said the family pet – a boxer-terrier mix named Patches, charged at the officer.

The cop fired his gun, and the bullet hit Andrea’s four-year-old daughter, Ava, in the leg, shattering the bone.

“She asked me several times, ‘Mommy, am I gonna die?'” Andrea Ellis told INSIDE EDITION.

The next 9-1-1 call would come from Ellis’ neighbor to report the cop shooting a child. “My neighbor across the street had an officer at her door and she’s screaming that he shot a child,” said the neighbor.

“They had started to cut her pants off her and I just see blood everywhere,” her mother said, describing the horrific scene.

Luckily, the bullet didn’t hit Ava a few inches higher in the stomach, which could’ve proved fatal. The shot did, however, shatter her bone.

The officer involved has not been disciplined, but the Columbus police department assures the public that the incident is under investigation.

Video of little Ava and family @ link: http://thefreethoughtproject.com/mo...-up-shoots-4-yo-daughter/#BSuAxxFPUOfEEkEE.99

Oh my gawd.....I would be livid!! He best get some discipline! Shoot him in the leg!! Shatter one of his bones!! Take his gun away!! Make him foot the bill! Make him wait on the girl til she heals......something!!

What the hell. Maybe cops should get some 'how to handle strange dogs' training because this is the umpteenth story with a cop doing something stupid when they encounter a dog. Of course it's scary if a dog charges at you but you can't really expect people in an emergency situation to have thought of tying it up before calling 911.

Glad the kid is okay though.

I was pulled over for expired plates the other day, the officer approached my car breathing heavy and sweating. He had wild eyes, you could damn near see his heart beating out of his chest. What's up with that shit?! Do they go into hyper adrenaline mode with every situation? I get that anything can happen on a call, but why are there so many officers causing the chaos from their own reactions. What are they learning in training that puts them into auto crazy right off the bat.

I'm often shocked when I see clips of US police compared to clips of UK police in action. I understand that the stakes are higher for US police, since citizens are often armed, but the whole approach seems so very, very different. Here, the police do all they can to calm and de-escalate a person before moving on to force. There, I see cops approach with gun drawn and aimed, even when nothing about the situation seems to warrant that. It escalates the situation rather than calming it.

I tried to find something more impartial and rational when I looked for videos to demonstrate the difference. I know nothing about the station that made the video, but the conversation seemed intelligent and well balanced. Certainly compared to other youtube videos I saw.

People here aren't generally terrified of the police, but I would be scared to draw the attention of the police there should I be unwell or something, like the poor guy who didn't follow instructions because he was having a stroke.

If the officer on the call couldn't subdue the dog/dog's then he/she would call for backup and a tranquilizer gun.
Never once was a dog shot and killed.
I am going to assume that no one shot the tranquilizer gun while panicked in a room with small kids in it either....yet somehow managed to take care of the situation.

Its to bad that police are not trained how to deal with a dog considering so many homes have one.

It's the psychological test and traits they look for in a cop, some brilliant dumbpsychiatric came up with, also the dumbing down of requirements recommended by our brilliant genus Justice Department, you know they always put your safety first:facepalm:

It’s long been rumored amongst law enforcement critics, but did you know that police departments officially disqualify high-scoring applicants? That’s not to say that all cops are stupid… Just that if you’re too smart, the police simply won’t hire you. The policy became solidified as a concrete federal ruling almost a decade and a half ago with little fanfare from the mainstream media. Back in 1999, a Federal judge dismissed a lawsuit by a police applicant who was barred from the New London, Connecticut police force. The reason for the disqualification was literally because he had scored “too high” on an intelligence test. The department made it clear, they didn’t want the bottom of the barrel in terms of intelligence, but they didn’t want anyone “too smart” either.
http://politicalblindspot.com/police-officially-refuse-to-hire-applicants-with-high-iq-scores

Public Safety Workers Blast Ohio City's Decision to Lower Police Recruit Standard
The city of Dayton is making it easier to pass its exam for police recruits as part of an agreement with the Department of Justice aimed at addressing the police department's low number of lack of black officers.

The two-part exam previously required candidates to score at least 66 percent and 72 percent to be considered for the job. The new scoring policy only requires job candidates to earn 58 percent and 63 percent – failing marks by most academic standards.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/1...cision-lower-police-recruit-test-scores-ohio/

I am going to assume that no one shot the tranquilizer gun while panicked in a room with small kids in it either....yet somehow managed to take care of the situation.

Its to bad that police are not trained how to deal with a dog considering so many homes have one.
No one would call for a tranq. If the dog was in a house. Lol, If I was in someone's house, I would send the dog into a backyard, a bedroom or a bathroom. No need to shoot the dog or children.

The city of Dayton is making it easier to pass its exam for police recruits as part of an agreement with the Department of Justice aimed at addressing the police department's low number of lack of black officers.[...] New Haven had decided to scrap a promotion exam because too few minorities had passed, but the Supreme Court later ruled that the move violated the civil rights of top-scoring white applicants.

Wow. I don't even know what's more depressing, the fact that these minorities are so badly educated or that fact that they are given guns anyway because of some ridiculous forced idea of 'equality'. Either way, society loses. Great.

I'm often shocked when I see clips of US police compared to clips of UK police in action. I understand that the stakes are higher for US police, since citizens are often armed, but the whole approach seems so very, very different. Here, the police do all they can to calm and de-escalate a person before moving on to force. There, I see cops approach with gun drawn and aimed, even when nothing about the situation seems to warrant that. It escalates the situation rather than calming it.

I tried to find something more impartial and rational when I looked for videos to demonstrate the difference. I know nothing about the station that made the video, but the conversation seemed intelligent and well balanced. Certainly compared to other youtube videos I saw.

People here aren't generally terrified of the police, but I would be scared to draw the attention of the police there should I be unwell or something, like the poor guy who didn't follow instructions because he was having a stroke.

[/QU check this video out

One of the least shocking, least surprising stories i've ever read on the internet ever.

Hopefully the family gets filthy rich off this though, and hopefully the dangerously inept officer is both fired and charged with a crime.

Do they not train them on how to properly aim their firearm? It's one thing to lose ones cool in a situation like this and do something completely unnecessary like shoot a family pet, but to miss and hit a child!? Just incredible.

More like the Obama/ gun smuggler to cartels Holder pro criminal and Black Lives Matter criminal disruption of anything legal support effect
Who'd want to be a cop, if every time you defend yourself against an obvious criminal attack the community organizer and his murdering gun smuggling henchman persecute you and your family and you have to go into hiding
No one is going to want to be a cop until we elect a real president and remove the pro criminal Chicago community organizer

Police: Officer Shortage in County Due to Lack of Quality Applicants
ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – The St. Louis County Police Department says a difficult part of hiring about 30 officers needed to be fully staffed is finding quality applicants.

About 900 officers are working in St. Louis County, including municipalities that contract with the department, says recruitment officer Kevin Minor.

He says they are suffering from what they call the “Ferguson effect” and a lack of trust, and many officers have chosen to go to the private sector.

“Trust will come back around,” Minor says. “But there’s some things that need to be corrected by law enforcement and court systems and things like that. We understand that.”

And he says it’s not unique to the St. Louis region.

“This ‘Ferguson effect’ is kind of like an atomic bomb,” Minor says. “And it just affected the whole country because no one wants to deal with the scrutiny and the stresses that we’re dealing with now.”

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2015/10...-in-county-due-to-lack-of-quality-applicants/

+ This doesn't help:

Police in California Killed More Than 610 People Over 6 Years

The ACLU of Southern California has been working to understand how many people have been killed by law enforcement in America’s most populous state. What they found is alarming. Over a six-year period that ended in 2014, California’s Department of Justice recorded 610 instances of law enforcement committing homicide “in the process of arrest.”

That figure is far from perfect. It excludes some homicides in 2014 that are still being investigated. And it understates the actual number of people killed by police officers and sheriffs deputies in other ways. For example, after Dante Parker was mistaken for a criminal, stunned with a Taser at least 25 times, hog-tied face down, and denied medical care, California authorities classified his death as “accidental.”

Still, the official number is 610 homicides attributed to law enforcement “in the process of arrest.”

Officially, 608 are classified as justified. Just two are officially considered unjustified. In one unjustified killing, there’s video of a policeman shooting Oscar Grant in the head as he lay face down in a BART station. In the other, there isextended video of police brutally beating a mentally ill man, Kelly Thomas, to death.

Officially speaking, only police officers who were being filmed killed people in unjustified ways. Whether law enforcement performs less professionally when cameras are rolling is unclear. But it seems more likely that the spread of digital-recording technology will reveal that unjust killings are more common than was previously thought.

Click on this link for the full article with charts and graphs and stuff:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...led-more-than-610-people-over-6-years/407326/

looking at population percentages, seems criminals are winning in the killing department

Gun related deaths of U.S. law enforcement officers rose by 56 percent in 2014 compared to the previous year, with about one-third of officers killed in an ambush, the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund said on Tuesday.

Across the country, 50 officers were killed by guns in 2014 compared to 32 in 2013, according to the website of the non-profit fund, which aims to increase safety for law enforcement officers.

The most deadly states were California, Texas, New York, Florida and Georgia, the group said.

"Fifteen officers were shot and killed in ambush, more than any other circumstance of fatal shootings in 2014," the website said.
https://reason.com/blog/2014/12/30/civilian-and-police-homicide-rates-rough#.vfsuca:emsD

So Cal, In two-thirds of the cases, the person shot by police was armed with a gun, knife or other weapon

Among the findings:

* All but six of the fatal shootings involved officers from either the Los Angeles Police Department or the county's Sheriff Department, which, taken together, patrol the vast majority of the county's roughly 10 million people. The other six were committed by police in Long Beach, Downey and Santa Monica.

* In two-thirds of the cases, the person shot by police was armed with a gun, knife or other weapon, whereas in 12 cases, the person was unarmed. In the remaining few cases, it was not clear from the autopsy reports whether the person killed was armed.

* Eighteen of the shootings -- one-third of the total -- occurred when officers were dispatched to respond to a report of shots being fired, an armed suspect or an assault with a deadly weapon. In at least 12 of those cases, the person shot by police was armed with a gun, a knife or a realistic-looking replica of a gun. By contrast, 12 shootings were set in motion not with a call for help, but rather with an officer's choice to initiate contact with someone he believed was acting suspiciously. In seven of those cases, the person shot by police was armed with a weapon
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun/10/local/la-me-cop-shootings-20120610

I'm a huge proponent of LE transparency and mandatory statistical reporting/tracking/analysis of all officer involved shootings resulting in the death of a citizen/suspect/detainee for all PDs & SDs in the U.S. There have been good, solid, citizen-oriented depts. along with certain legislators and citizen's groups who've been pushing hard for all depts. to have to submit this info to the FBI. And, of course, there are naturally certain politicians and PDs/SDs who're against having to report these incidents for (IMO) obvious reasons.

Having to report each incident to the feds for information gathering and statistical analysis can be quick, easy, and as simple as filing an online report and submitting it online - hard copies stay at the depts. Not only would this cinch up a *gaping* hole in nearly non-existent communication between LE agencies all over the country, but it would also provide greater accountability and garner a serious wealth of data to be used in assessing/evaluating everything from geographical areas with higher than average officer involved shootings compared to crimes and crime rates, to having a clearer grasp on racial issues, to targeting specific areas in which LEOs from academy cadets to seasoned officers need more training. As it stands, there is no central clearing house for information and all this kind of dysfunctional organization does is divide the populus and keep people fighting over opinions instead of facts. JMO. YMMV.

UK is a different type person were all human but have a different way. We are America we need guns otherwise we will be screwed not to mention we have projects and crackhead, freebasing, smoker, and, ruthless scumbags all over the place. I live in L.A just sayin' it's like comparing apples and potatoes.

UK is a different type person were all human but have a different way. We are America we need guns otherwise we will be screwed not to mention we have projects and crackhead, freebasing, smoker, and, ruthless scumbags all over the place. I live in L.A just sayin' it's like comparing apples and potatoes.

I wasn't saying that the police don't need guns in America. My point had nothing to do with gun control. It was all about attitude towards approaching a situation, and whether there's a different approach in training when it comes to de-escalating a situation vs screaming instructions that must be followed; even when going straight to that approach often makes the situation worse rather better.

Humans are humans, and de-escalation techniques apply universally. The way you approach and handle a situation affects the way the person reacts. That is human nature.

We don't have so many guns here. And gang culture is not as prevalent. But we also have drug situations and criminals and mentally ill and people having strokes in cars and losing control. We aren't all sitting around drinking tea and eating crumpets with the Queen. I suggest you re-read my argument and give it consideration rather than making assumptions about gun control being an agenda behind every discussion.

I wonder if the officer initially thought the woman's injuries were caused by the dog? Because that makes sense. Otherwise...dip shit. What a lousy shot...miss the dog hit the little girl.

Back