• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

CbabyRKO

Trumperdink Mussolini
Virginia Chumbley was asleep when she was shot to death in her home. The killer left the handgun in the bedroom and cried as he called 911.

"I just shot my wife," Chris Chumbley told the Laurel County emergency operator. "Give me the police. I'm under arrest."

He later told authorities the killing was an act of mercy: His wife of two decades, who everyone knew as Jenny, had asked to die because her cancer had spread.

Her body was swollen and her pain was immense. She had to use a wheelchair when she wasn't bed-ridden and Chumbley has said he was honoring her wish.

Chumbley, 50, was charged with murder, but last month, prosecutors reached a deal that would allow him to plead guilty to manslaughter. He faces 15 years in prison when he is sentenced by a judge Thursday.

The August 2013 shooting renewed the debate over mercy killings and the right to die in a nation where five states — Oregon, Vermont, Washington, Montana and most recently California — have laws that allow doctors to prescribe life-ending drugs.

In Jenny Chumbley's case, her husband and prosecutors disagreed over how long she had to live. He said she only had weeks, his lawyer said. Prosecutors believe it was longer than that.

Chumbley's brother, Tony Chumbley, said Chris and Jenny had watched Chris' mother slowly die of lung cancer years before, and she told Chris she never wanted her suffering dragged out like that.

"I think Chris done it out of love for her," said Tony Chumbley, who also lives in Laurel County, nestled in Kentucky's Appalachian hills. "I think he would not have done it if she didn't ask him to. If my wife got that sick and she asked me, I would hope I was man enough to do what Chris did."

On the 911 call the night of the shooting, Chris Chumbley told the operator that his wife has cancer "all over" and had a doctor's appointment the next day.

During the 16-minute call, he asked the operator if he could go see his wife's body one last time.

The operator said no, and he complied.

Virginia and Chris Chumbley

Jenny Chumbley's mother, Rita Smith, told media after a 2013 hearing that Jenny wanted chemotherapy and did not want to die. A phone number for Smith could not be located.

Laurel County Commonwealth's Attorney Jackie Steele said he spoke to people on Jenny Chumbley's side of the family about the plea agreement and thinks they understand it.

"I can't say they agree with it or like it," Steele said.
http://news.yahoo.com/kentucky-man-sentenced-wifes-alleged-mercy-killing-205701095.html

I am all for a persons right die. And die with dignity and the way they want to . No one should be forced to live with pain so bad you are simply begging for death. I have no idea how bad this woman was, but still, it's her right to choose when. The how in this case was a bit brutal and messy, but all death is messy, I guess.

The guy's physical appearance makes me inclined to believe his story. Fucking badass haircut, damn handsome fellow.

My cousin was by is wife's side while she died slowly and painfully from cancer at a young age. My grandmother by my grandfather's side while he withered away from cancer, he was much older.

It was Hell for them. While I don't think I'd opt for a bullet, a person should have the right to die with dignity and not suffer until some horrific disease process takes them.

We euthanize animals who are suffering, we should offer the same for humans if they so choose.

At some point my time will come and I would rather not die slowly and painfully. Thanks for the listing of states that do allow prescribed life ending drugs as I will be planning on retiring to one of those states.

If I was in excruciating pain and knew my days were numbered, I would kill myself. I wouldn't ask somebody else to do it, though. Why involve another person and put them thru hell too?

So, I'm not sure what to make of this guy's story.

It would take a lot of strength if your spouse were asking for you to kill them. I don't know if I could actually do that. But knowing my husband, he'd do it himself if he wanted to go. Having said that, he'd keep me around til the last breath no matter what I wanted.

Oh, Laurel County. I dread my upcoming visit to your generally grammatically-impaired populace. That liquor store in that one town, though, now that's a winner!

If I was in excruciating pain and knew my days were numbered, I would kill myself. I wouldn't ask somebody else to do it, though. Why involve another person and put them thru hell too?

So, I'm not sure what to make of this guy's story.

It's ok not to be sure how to feel about it. And I don't think I could ask someone to do it either, so that's why we need it nice and legal. Swallow that pill cocktail and off to sleep and then death, easy peasy.

Back