• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

CbabyRKO

Trumperdink Mussolini
Former peanut executive Stewart Parnell was sentenced Monday to 28 years in prison for his role in a nationwide salmonella outbreak that killed nine people and sickened hundreds in 2008 and 2009.

The sentence marked the most severe punishment ever for a food-related crime. Prosecutors had sought life in prison for the 61-year-old executive, and the sentence handed down by U.S. District Judge W. Louis Sands essentially could amount to that.

“These acts were driven simply by the desire to profit and to protect profits notwithstanding the known risks,” the judge said, according to the Associated Press. “This is commonly and accurately referred to as greed.”

[…]

Families of victims poisoned by salmonella after eating products from Parnell’s company, Peanut Corp. of America, spent the morning urging the judge to impose the stiffest possible sentence. Jacob Hurley, only 3 when he got seriously ill after eating peanut butter crackers, said it would be okay with him for Parnell “to spend the rest of his life in prison,” according to press reports. Jeff Almer, whose 72-year-old mother died as a result of the outbreak, felt the same. “You took my mom,” he told Parnell.

Others defended Parnell’s character. His mother spoke on his behalf. His daughter described him as a doting grandfather who always put others before himself. His son asked the judge to “please show my father mercy when considering his sentencing,” according to a local reporter tweeting from the hearing.

Parnell, who was found guilty last year on more than 70 criminal charges, including knowingly shipping tainted food across state lines, obstruction of justice, conspiracy and wire fraud, never testified at his trial or when called to a hearing on Capitol Hill.

But on Monday he expressed remorse in court, apologizing to customers and saying he was “personally embarrassed, humiliated and morally disgraced by what happened.” He also addressed the victims and their families, according to the AP report, saying “I think about you guys every day” and “I’m truly sorry for what happened.”

Parnell’s now-bankrupt company, based in Virginia but with a production plant in Georgia, once touted its “remarkable food-safety record.” But in reality its own internal tests turned up salmonella contamination a half-dozen times in 2007 and 2008, according to investigators. Parnell approved shipments despite such warnings.

Investigators documented a litany of unsanitary conditions at the plant, including mold, roaches, dirty equipment, holes big enough to allow rodents inside and a failure to separate raw and cooked products. They also unearthed e-mails that showed Parnell hastily approving shipments he knew might be contaminated.

The case is the latest and in a series of high-profile criminal prosecutions pursued by the federal government in recent years. The federal government in recent years also has prosecuted cases involving tainted eggs that sickened thousands of people and contaminated cantaloupes that led to 33 deaths. But no other executives have yet faced a sentence like the one Parnell received Monday.

Michael Parnell, a former supervisor at the company and Stewart Parnell’s brother, who was convicted on fewer criminal counts, received a sentence Monday of 20 years in prison. Mary Wilkerson, a quality-control manager at the Georgia plant who was convicted of obstruction of justice, received a 5-year sentence.

“Americans should be able to trust that the food we buy for ourselves and our families is safe,” Stuart Delery, the Justice Department’s acting associate attorney general, said in a statement Monday. “The sentences handed down today to officials associated with the Peanut Corporation of America demonstrate the consequences for those whose criminal actions threaten that trust by introducing contaminated food into the marketplace.”

Seattle food safety attorney Bill Marler said the fact that Parnell was prosecuted at all is a victory for consumers, as it should serve as a deterrent to other food executives. “This sentence is going to send a stiff, cold wind through board rooms across the U.S.,” Marler said.

“We think the sentence itself is extremely high,” Parnell’s attorney, Thomas J. Bondurant Jr., said Monday. “He’s obviously disappointed, but we knew it was a likelihood something like this could happen.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...a7500e-60a7-11e5-8e9e-dce8a2a2a679_story.html

This says mounds:
”Investigators documented a litany of unsanitary conditions at the plant, including mold, roaches, dirty equipment, holes big enough to allow rodents inside and a failure to separate raw and cooked products. They also unearthed e-mails that showed Parnell hastily approving shipments he knew might be contaminated.”

WHAT THE FUCK DUDE!!! THIS IS SOOOOOO FUCKING GROSS!

When you serve/ manufacture/ produce food (and/or drink) safety should always be the number one priority!!! There are regulations set in place, for this very fucking reason... Prior Health department inspection records MUST HAVE- and I repeat MUST HAVE, shown an indication of trouble to come. It enrages me BEYOND BELIEF when people cut corners in the safety aspect of the food industry! NOT sickening and/or killing those who consume your product should have been his #1 ABOVE EVERYTHING ELSE GOAL!!!

SHIT LIKE THIS IS EASILY PREVENTABLE, BY SIMPLY FOLLOWING SAFE FOOD HANDLING AND SANITIZING PROCEDURES!!! That's what makes this so enraging. (...Well, aside from the fact that he ABSOLUTELY KNEW he could kill someone, by not following safe handling procedures...)
This bastard, (while he may have been a good father, friend, person, blah blah blah) didn't give one shit about making sure no one fell ill or died. He in fact, RUSHED contaminated shipments. What the fuck?! How did he sleep at night???
This link has a lot.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/tag/stewart-parnell/

While I find it absolutely appalling that his sentence is higher than those who murder their own newborn children, I must say he deserves that sentence..

AND they shoulda forced him to eat PB&J sammiches WITH HIS CONTAMINATED PEANUT BUTTER, EVERY SINGLE FUCKING DAY of that sentence!!! Just saying...

Last edited:
“These acts were driven simply by the desire to profit and to protect profits notwithstanding the known risks,” the judge said, according to the Associated Press. “This is commonly and accurately referred to as greed.”

Nice! I love the sound of the TRUTH. You will be wishing the sub standard prison food you'll be eating for the next 28 years will kill you bite after bite. But it won't, because even the corrections system serves up a better product than you. A three year old...you killed a fucking year old with peanut butter. Prison then hell for you, fucking mONSTER.

Last edited:
Outrageous! I read about this a while back and I'm glad to know that this guy got more than a smack on the hand for putting profit margins above human costs. Nice guy? Yeah, he probably sent all his loved ones an email telling them not to eat anything with peanut butter.

Glad to see old Stewie got a nice stiff sentence. The Fed Beds, huh? Oops. He'll do all 28 years. And deserves everyday of it. :crack:

Btw, on a more personal note, if you'd ever like to write to me as a pen pal, I'm all game. I'll tell you I lived alone, in a piece of shit city, working full time and going to school full time when I spent my hard earned money on a jar of your special peanut butter. I blamed myself and cross contamination, only to later find out IT WAS YOUR FAULT YOU DISGUSTING WASTE OF OXYGEN!

Your fault I spent 48 hours in my bathtub, with my dog whom I shared it with, unable to move. Had I been able, no point. Because stuff just leaks & flies from everywhere. Ever know you can puke thru your nose? Ever know u can bust an ear drum from vomiting? I was writing goodbye letters to people I didn't know when a male friend found me hallucinating. Btw, still haven't paid that hospital bill because of the class action suit. I'll take your $.12 an hour wage as u sew the uniforms for people like.....wait for it.....wait for it.......PEOPLE LIKE ME MOTHERFUCKER!!!!

May your deceased victims rest peacefully. For the other 72,000 that I'm aware of, I hope this helps them a bit as well. I know I fucking grinned. :smuggrin:

It's getting chilly here in the Midwest, Now go knit my winter sweater, bitch. :finger:

He'll probably die in prison. His actions have devastating consequences for more than just his own family and he will have lots of time to ponder that, hopefully while eating peanutbutter. And all of that because of greed. Senseless.

BTW, I also ate some of his contaminated product.

He got what he deserves. When you put production over food safety you are going to pay. This is what I do for a living. It disgusts me that he put $ before everything else. I hope therr is the same outcome for Bluebell too.

He got what he deserves. When you put production over food safety you are going to pay. This is what I do for a living. It disgusts me that he put $ before everything else. I hope therr is the same outcome for Bluebell too.

Bluebell recently had another "minor" problem when a plastic O ring was found in a consumer's bucket of ice cream. So you might just get your wish.

I had stopped eating Bluebell quite awhile back and switched to one that uses actual sugar instead of HFCS.

Not a wish but when you dont put your consumers safety first you you should pay the price.

Oh, I didn't mean to be rude or anything like that. I agree with you 100%. I just thought you might not have known about the O ring.

"Just ship it", and with those words people were condemned to death. This isn't like the uncertainty of E-coli in hamburger, this was full knowledge that salmonella was present, but you, you sorry maggot, said "ship it".

Back