• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
James Rollins. I love his writing style. The Sigma series and Sanguines series are brilliantly done, he has a unique way of mixing past and present, entwining myth and historical with current times.

Thank you, @Kittyskyfish . While I don't normally read westerns, I'll see if it can suck me in. :)
And thank you, @Alf .... I put that one in the queue.

I have been in a post-apocalyptic, dystopian kind of phase for a couple years now. I think I have read everything. Well, except the Uglies series... that one keeps putting me to sleep. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open.

Also looking for suggestions in grit lit and horror.

For Horror with a real bite I recommend Richard Laymon. The first book I read by him, a guy knocks on a door and the woman who opens it smashes an axe into his skull. Lots of sex and blood and sometimes vampires. Almost everything he has written is good but my favorite are Island, Quake and After Midnight. Enjoy <3

p.s. Lonesome Dove was really good and I hate Westerns. Plus I highly recommend Middelsex by Jeffrey Eugenides and The Physician by Noah Gordon. Hope it helps...:happy::joyful::kiss::smuggrin::smug:;)

The Death of Fear--The Damned Hunger Chronicles Book 1
41MczVOazhL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I really enjoyed this tale of zompoc with a dash of vampire and a sprinkle of witchcraft. I couldn't help liking the main characters even the vampire, Mr. F., as they fight mercenary humans as well as walkers. This adventure spreads out over a landscape reminiscent of Mad Max, and the humans are much scarier than the zombies. There's a lot of humor in this book, but it's also a full serving of hardcore adult horror.

Amazon product ASIN B00RNJM0U4

Currently reading this one because killer, psycho clowns.

“You have two days to pass your audition. You better pass it, feller. You’re joining the circus. Ain’t that the best news you ever got?” Delivered by a trio of psychotic clowns, this ultimatum plunges Jamie into the horrific alternate universe that is the centuries-old Pilo Family Circus, a borderline world between Hell and Earth from which humankind’s greatest tragedies have been perpetrated. Yet in this place—peopled by the gruesome, grotesque, and monstrous—where violence and savagery are the norm, Jamie finds that his worst enemy is himself. When he applies the white face paint, he is transformed into JJ, the most vicious clown of all. And JJ wants Jamie dead! Echoes of Lovecraft, Bret Easton Ellis, Chuck Palahniuk, and early Stephen King resound through the pages of this magical, gleefully macabre work nominated as Best Novel by the International Horror Guild.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4748221-the-pilo-family-circus

If you like that, you would love Geek Love by Katherine Dunn

Geek Love is the story of the Binewskis, a carny family whose mater- and paterfamilias set out–with the help of amphetamine, arsenic, and radioisotopes–to breed their own exhibit of human oddities. There’s Arturo the Aquaboy, who has flippers for limbs and a megalomaniac ambition worthy of Genghis Khan . . . Iphy and Elly, the lissome Siamese twins . . . albino hunchback O...more
Great story. Amazing ending. Really well written.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13872.Geek_Love

I just spent an obscene amount of money on Karl Edward Wagner's Collected Short Stories. There was only one copy and I GOT IT!
Where The Summer Ends
Sticks...all mine.
mr cb is less than pleased. I will nevah get that credit card back.

Started Factotum by Bukowski last night.
I've read most of his work, but this one hasn't quite sucked me in like the others.

We shall see.

I just finished "Manson- The Biography".

It had interviews with his Mom and some cousins, it was... Scary. It was seriously scary, he is a very, very scary man.

Excellent read and I would recommend it to everyone.

If you like that, you would love Geek Love by Katherine Dunn

Geek Love is the story of the Binewskis, a carny family whose mater- and paterfamilias set out–with the help of amphetamine, arsenic, and radioisotopes–to breed their own exhibit of human oddities. There’s Arturo the Aquaboy, who has flippers for limbs and a megalomaniac ambition worthy of Genghis Khan . . . Iphy and Elly, the lissome Siamese twins . . . albino hunchback O...more
Great story. Amazing ending. Really well written.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13872.Geek_Love

Read that one awhile back. Decent read. :)

Started Factotum by Bukowski last night.
I've read most of his work, but this one hasn't quite sucked me in like the others.

We shall see.

I take it back. This book is affecting me on such a personal level I'm having to set it down periodically and take deep breaths.

Chinaski reminds me of someone very close to me.

You'll like it. It's pretty twisted. I zipped right through it.

@Dutchgirl I speed read Geek Love. If you're feeling like something a little different I would recommend The Oz Chronicles by RW Ridley. I read each book in a day (there are 6) I'm a voracious reader when I find a book I like.

http://www.goodreads.com/series/72503-the-oz-chronicles

Last edited:
This is a great thread, so I'm going to ask this question here, and maybe another thread - sorry if you read a duplicate!

I read a fascinating novel years ago (mid 1980's), and I was just reminded of it recently. My husband read it back then too, and he recalls it being written from the guy's point of view, as a couple who are soul mates and find each other in several different lifetimes, and possibly Lucretia Borzia as one of the murderous incarnations. He thinks murder is involved in all their incarnations, but not positive.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? I wish I could remember more, but thanks if anyone could help! I googled the shit out of everything I could think of but Borgia overwhelmed my searches and there was much more to it than that. Thanks!

I'm a total history buff and came across this book and just loved it. It's piqued an interest in me for Native American History, as it relates to the Indians of New England. We've heard so much about the plains tribes, but this man Uncas, was truly a master statesman.
p4nHQe0.jpg

I'm a total history buff and came across this book and just loved it. It's piqued an interest in me for Native American History, as it relates to the Indians of New England. We've heard so much about the plains tribes, but this man Uncas, was truly a master statesman.
p4nHQe0.jpg

I agree the Plains tribes get the lion's share of attention, which I find interesting since North "American History" as we know it (as in the arrival of the "rebs" seeking freedom from The Crown) began with the eastern coastal tribes. Sounds like something I'd like, too.

I agree the Plains tribes get the lion's share of attention, which I find interesting since North "American History" as we know it (as in the arrival of the "rebs" seeking freedom from The Crown) began with the eastern coastal tribes. Sounds like something I'd like, too.
I cannot recommend this book enough. I'm actually reading it for the second time:D

I am currently re-re-rereading the Hodgdon 2015 Complete Reloading Data Manual.

--Al

You know I'm sapiosexual. Stop it, you tease! LOLOL ;) <3

(Clarification for others: I've teased him about having an internet crush on his brain power, you ol' gutter-minded demon babies, you, lol. :p )

Last edited:
Finished Small Sacrifices about Diane Downs last week. I had to keep putting it down becoz the crazy just became to overwhelming at times. I mean that woman is a fucking evil piece of work and she is disgusting and scares the fuck out of me. I mean I completely understand why her ex boyfriend was afraid of her coz just reading the book I was terrified of the nutty bitch.

@Jaded have you heard of Dorothy Must Die? It's like Oz on a really bad acid trip. I'm like 100 pages in and it's good so far.

I am also reading the new Prey novel by John Sandford. A lot better than the last one I will say that. Hopefully the end doesn't fall flat.

I am reading Bullfinch's Mythology<3. I am in the middle of the Trojan war:meh:! Now I must get back to Achilles and Patroclus:hungry::smug:...and their mighty swords!;)<----all y'all know what I mean!

Hi everyone! I'm currently reading "Apartment 16," by Adam Neville. I'd been meaning to read this book for ages. I'm so glad I started it at long last. So far, it's proper god damn scary! Loving it!

Before that, I read "Descent," by Sandy DeLuca. It's a very dark, and weird book. I really enjoyed it. ❤

Amazon product ASIN B00KWML4DI

First guy executed after the death penalty was re-instated in Utah, and he practically begged to be executed.

Reading about his mind set is quite interesting, seeing how he got dead, I like to read the why behind a crime as much as I like to read about the crime and trial itself.

Back