• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Thanks for the rec! I was debating whether to watch it or not since Stephen King doesn't have the best track record for writing scripts. What kind of suspense & apocalypse movies do you like? Only thing I can think of like that on Netflix is Pontypool.

Just watched a really good one called La Casa Del Fin De Los Tiempos (The House At The End of Time). Really interesting, weird movie. Seems like a haunted house flick, but ends up really different. It's pretty much what a lot of horror movies these days are lacking: a fresh take with an original idea behind it.

Just watched a really good one called La Casa Del Fin De Los Tiempos (The House At The End of Time). Really interesting, weird movie. Seems like a haunted house flick, but ends up really different. It's pretty much what a lot of horror movies these days are lacking: a fresh take with an original idea behind it.

Is it in English or do I have to read subtitles?

I just watched "The Barber". Kind of twisty.

Is it in English or do I have to read subtitles?

I just watched "The Barber". Kind of twisty.

I think it's subbed only, but I'm not sure. I usually watch stuff subbed regardless b/c I can only watch my stuff late at night, so I have to have the volume down.

Hector and the Pursuit of Happiness

The Killer Speaks

Both awesome and available on Netflix!

I watched "The Changeling" on netflix the other day it was really good and it was a true story, one part was about the chicken coop murders which happened in the 1920s i had never heard about it so I watched a documentary on youtube after the movie. The movie was true just as it happened all the way through, angelina jolie is in it. I had never watched the movie till now it was made in 2008.

I saw that choice on Netflix the other night and I thought about it, then decided I didn't want to see it because of Angelina Jolie, but now since you recommend it, I'll watch it, and the Chicken Coop murders, too.

Watched It Follows the other day, and it totally sucked. Not at all scary.

I thought the scenes where "It" actually shows up were some of the creepiest and most well done bits of horror in quite some time. The opening as well was fucking tremendous.

That said, the pacing was pisspoor and oddly structured. Movie never feels like it's building to a climax, i couldn't actually pinpoint one at all actually, and begins to feel quite overlone and repetitive. Characters are dull, dialog uninteresting, anytime "It" isn't on screen things slow to a crawl.

I stil dug it for the stuff that worked, and i loved the overrall style of it, even if that music bordered on after school special parody at times(especially given the dangers of intercourse premise).

The Snowtown Murders is a really good true crime movie on Netflix. Really creeped me out and was pretty disturbing.

Not a horrible list of movies (although there are some stinkers on it). My favorites off that list are (in no order):

Proxy
Frankenstein’s Army
Teeth
Europa Report
The Taking of Deborah Logan
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Grabbers
John Dies at the End
Maniac
Funny Games
Creep
The Host
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
I Saw the Devil
The House of the Devil
Day of the Dead
Re-Animator
The Omen
Let the Right One In
The Silence of the Lambs

Not a horrible list of movies (although there are some stinkers on it). My favorites off that list are (in no order):

Proxy
Frankenstein’s Army
Teeth
Europa Report
The Taking of Deborah Logan
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Grabbers
John Dies at the End
Maniac
Funny Games
Creep
The Host
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
I Saw the Devil
The House of the Devil
Day of the Dead
Re-Animator
The Omen
Let the Right One In
The Silence of the Lambs

My daughter and I are always looking for new Horror movies to watch and it's hard going through the bazillion on Netflix, I will take your opinion into consideration as well Morbid. :)

So, I watched I Saw The Devil over the weekend, that shit was crazy! It's a Korean movie, so subtitles but it was a gruesome revenge movie. If you like gruesome revenge and don't mind subtitles, I would def recommend.

Dumb fucking movie.

Was the required reading too much for you?

Yawn. Let's go straight to the low brow insults instead of attempting to discuss the movie in rational/serious fashion. Part of my beef with the movie lies in something i feel plagues korean cinema, and how poorly this movie matches up to the superior thrillers that nation has graced us with.

SPOILERS for this trash movie

The plot was dumb, like really, really, really dumb. Essentially all the movie is is this supposed super-cop hunting the killer down, beating him over the head with a stick(and this is damn near the only thing the guy does, just hits him in the head with shit repeatedly), and then letting him go, then repeating it. Somehow this was supposed to be some horrible torment, supposed to be satisfying revenge. It was pointless. And that really was the extent of his revenge, just wacking him on the head and letting him go, only to return and do it again. laughable.

Then we have what has become one of the biggest cliches in all of cinema, the Korean devotion to the saddest, most gut wrenching, kick in the nuts endings possible. Such "resolutions" certainly have their place and have certainly led to some powerful, amazing thrillers/dramas from that country, however the small handful of successes have led Korean filmmakers to pollute their output with such final acts, to the point where it's become a joke. The likes of Memories of Murder and Oldboy came out and now they all think that's the way to do it. In America we have the generic, boring, cash out "hollywood happy ending", well with korean crime dramas/thrillers you get the exact opposite and it ends up being even more forced and hamfisted. I Saw The Devil is one of, honestly perhaps the single, worst offender.

What makes it so bad here is how incredibly stupid the protagonist is rendered in order for the plot to play out how it does. This is without a doubt among the dumbest, most inept, ineffective character in movie history. That's especially bad cuz he's portrayed as this supercop sort of figure, yet we see him fail so miserably so often. It just didn't make sense seeing him make the mistakes he makes, to see him this pathetic. It all feels so incredibly forced, it IS all so incredibly forced.

The whole, "revenge is never satisfying, revenge only breeds more pain/turns you into a monster" thing has been done FARRRRRRRRRRR better. Fuck this movie, just watch Oldboy again instead.

It is well shot though, has some great performances, the car scene is brilliant, the suspense is top notch. But that plot, good god, just trash.

@JackBurton I do not have nearly as much energy as you to break it down but - I will say this: Horror movies do not need a great plot to be great.

It is well shot though, has some great performances, the car scene is brilliant, the suspense is top notch.

That right there is enough for most horror film enthusiasts.

And just beating him over the head is bullshit, he fucked dude up A LOT.

I watched a pretty awesome movie on Amazon Prime last night. It was called Good Night Mommy. It's German and pretty fucked up. The end though, left a lot of unanswered questions for me. Still, I highly recommend.

Back