• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
A woman whose pet dog died after she left the abandoned animal trapped in a flat without food or water has been given a suspended jail sentence.

The black Labrador was found dead by animal welfare officers who called to a flat in the Greystone estate in Antrim.

The starved dog died entangled in a window blind, probably in a failed attempt to escape, the court heard.

Its owner, Aleshia McLaverty, pleaded guilty to permitting unnecessary pain or distress to a dog under her control.

The 23-year-old, who no longer lives at or has any connection to the flat at Firmount Drive, was given a two month jail term, suspended for two years.

The judge at Antrim Magistrates' Court also banned her from keeping animals for five years.

A defence barrister said it was a "tragic case of passive neglect" and said the dog was trapped in the house when his client became pregnant and went to live with her mother.

He said the defendant was "very emotional and distressed" and came to the court with a "good character" and a clear record.

The judge said he had to give McLaverty credit for her guilty plea and her clear record and he suspended the jail term.

McLaverty, who also admitted being the keeper of a dog without a valid licence, was ordered to pay costs of £119.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-33773350

Lame sentence.

Edit
I'm really angry about this.
She came to court upset. Fuck you bitch. The time to be upset was when your dog was starving and ultimately strangled to death.

How long until she leaves her baby alone? Because we all know, anyone that can treat animals like this can and do treat people/children/babies like this.
Fuck this little cunt and fuck that judge.

Last edited:
And I wish they'd used the poor dog's name in the article. :(
I'm on my phone and don't know how to copy and paste.
There is more to this story.
She pled guilty and the judge gave her 30 days in jail and suspended it for 2 years... However, she told her probation officer "I'm not guilty" and the probation officer reported that to the judge.
The judge has now thrown out her guilty plea. This goes back to court this month.

McLaverty no longer lives at Firmount Drive in Antrim, Belfast, where the dog was found.

Outside the court McLaverty, who has a young child, did not comment.

Malcolm Irvine, prosecuting, said after receiving a report from a member of the public about a dead dog at a property, animal welfare officers gained entry to the property in April last year to be met with a “pungent” smell and a house full of flies with floors covered with dog faeces.

An emaciated Labrador-cross type dog was found dead hanging upside down from a blind cord with maggots in its mouth and eyes.

Mr Irvine said there was no food and the toilet bowl was dry suggesting the dog had drank [sic!] from it and there were scratch marks on packets of food consistent with the dog trying to find something to eat.

A post mortem revealed the dog died of dehydration and starvation and it was likely in its death throes it tried to jump through a window in a last gasp bid to escape but then became entangled on a blind.

During interviews McLaverty first said the dog belonged to her sister and that she herself did not live in the house as she had gone to stay with her mother but later in court she pleaded guilty to the offences.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/starving-dog-found-dead-hanging-6193029

I'm on my phone and don't know how to copy and paste.
There is more to this story.
She pled guilty and the judge gave her 30 days in jail and suspended it for 2 years... However, she told her probation officer "I'm not guilty" and the probation officer reported that to the judge.
The judge has now thrown out her guilty plea. This goes back to court this month.

Can you tell us which news site has this information? Maybe we can copy-paste it for you?

Can you tell us which news site has this information? Maybe we can copy-paste it for you?
Belfast live.co.UK/news
When you find the story and read it, it seems like the story has ended, keep scrolling down past the advertisements, you will see it.

Last edited:
I gave a kitten to a coworker one time. The coworker flew the coop suddenly and they found that she had left it in her apartment. You have to be really fucked in the head to do something like that.

Why do we have to be so civilized? Why CAN'T we starve her for a week, nothing that will kill her, but she'd get a good dose of what she did to her defenseless dog... Bitch... :(

Fuuuuuck all that shit. Lock her in a room with no toilet facilities, so she can live in her own piles of shit. Put food packets inside that allow her to see and smell the contents, but not to open them.

Starve her til she tries to fling herself through a window to the freedom she knows is juuuuuust outside, and strangles herself in the blinds. Then leave her there til maggots take over her mouth and eyes.

THAT would be "fair".

Fuuuuuck all that shit. Lock her in a room with no toilet facilities, so she can live in her own piles of shit. Put food packets inside that allow her to see and smell the contents, but not to open them.

Starve her til she tries to fling herself through a window to the freedom she knows is juuuuuust outside, and strangles herself in the blinds. Then leave her there til maggots take over her mouth and eyes.

THAT would be "fair".
I love you .

Belfast live.co.UK/news
When you find the story and read it, it seems like the story has ended, keep scrolling down past the advertisements, you will see it.

I think it is an earlier story. It says it is from 7 July?

Defence barrister Aaron Thompson said his client, believed to be in her early 20s, had previously pleaded guilty to charges of permitting unnecessary pain or distress to a dog under her control and being the keeper of a dog without a valid licence.

However, he said McLaverty then told a Probation officer she was not guilty and upon hearing that a judge at an earlier sitting refused to accept the guilty plea and vacated it.

Mr Thompson said a Probation report should be brought back to court in August when the case is next considered.

McLaverty, who was not present at court on Tuesday, no longer lives at Firmount Drive where the dog was found and the property is now occupied by a woman with no connection to her.

http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/antrim-mum-accused-abandoning-dog-9609492

She just has that look of someone we'll be seeing again here on D'D... :banghead:

And to think the "new baby" is the reason they are going lightly on her. In my opinion, if she cannot be trusted to look after a dog without killing it, she shouldn't be entrusted with the care of a human being.

Mum denies cruelty after starved dog found hanging from blinds
A mother accused of abandoning a black Labrador in a flat where it was found dead "hanging from blinds" after drinking toilet water in a desperate bid to survive is denying the charge.

Aleshia McLaverty has been charged with cruelty after the dog was discovered by shocked animal welfare officers at her former flat in the Greystone estate in Antrim.

At Antrim Magistrates Court yesterday the case was adjourned until August.

Defence barrister Aaron Thompson said his client had previously pleaded guilty to the charges of permitting unnecessary pain or distress to a dog under her control and being the keeper of a dog without a valid licence.

However, he said Ms McLaverty then told a probation officer she was not guilty.

The judge decided not to accept the earlier plea.

Mr Thompson said a probation report should be brought back to court in August when the case is next considered.

Ms McLaverty, who was not present in court yesterday, no longer lives at Firmount Drive, where the dog was found.

Sickening pictures of the starved and dehydrated dead Labrador were previously shown to a judge.

At an earlier court in Coleraine, Deputy District Judge Chris Holmes said they were "the worst photos I have ever seen of cruelty to an animal".

The charges relate to the date of April 29 last year.

Earlier this year a further court sitting heard a post-mortem examination revealed the dog died of dehydration and starvation.

The court action was taken by the then Antrim Borough Council and after the original guilty plea, Ian Suiter, assistant director of environmental health at the local authority, said the case was a "particularly harrowing one".

Last year a report prepared for councillors in Antrim said a neighbour noticed the dog - a black Labrador/collie cross - "hanging from blinds" in a house where it is believed to have been left unattended for a considerable length of time.

When a council animal welfare officer went to the scene no one was at home and they could not see the dog, although they noticed a strong odour and a swarm of flies.

They returned with police and were able to gain access to the home.

It was covered in dog faeces, and they were met with a stomach-churning sight of the dead dog hanging from blinds in an emaciated state.

The animal had reportedly drank all of the toilet water in the house, and had left bite marks on food packs and dishes. A post-mortem examination confirmed the dog had died as a result of malnutrition and dehydration.

Last autumn, an Antrim Borough Council committee unanimously gave its approval for council officers to initiate legal action against the owner and urged a strong sentence to deter others.

The Antrim Council report stated: 'Closer examination of the property revealed empty food packets and dishes that had teeth marks in them and the toilet in the house had no water in it, concluding that the dog had drank all the water from the toilet as there was no other water source available to the dog within the property.

"The dog was subsequently submitted for post-mortem to determine the cause of death, which was later confirmed to be malnutrition and dehydration.

"The AWO (animal welfare officer) conducted a formally recorded interview with the person responsible for the keeping of the dog.

"Prior to this date the keeper had failed to turn up for several pre-arranged interview dates and when spoken to showed no remorse, but was very aggressive and defensive towards officers."

I think that is one of the most disgusting stories I have ever heard about animal cruelty. Disgraceful. Shame on you Aleshia McLaverty. You should not be left in charge of a baby either. The sentence is laughable. Good character my arse. She should be banned from ever owning an animal ever again, not just for five years!!
I notice she is drinking alcohol from a bottle in a photo above. I believe it is "Wicked". How apt!!!!

Lame sentence.

Edit
I'm really angry about this.
She came to court upset. Fuck you bitch. The time to be upset was when your dog was starving and ultimately strangled to death.

How long until she leaves her baby alone? Because we all know, anyone that can treat animals like this can and do treat people/children/babies like this.
Fuck this little cunt and fuck that judge.
@Rose Madder
What part of my post do you disagree with?

Why is it that all the ones involved in starvation cases of any type look like they have never missed a meal?

I am an animal lover and have had many over the years. I have given a diabetic dog insulin shots for years 12 hours apart, meaning I had to be home at 8am and 8pm for 7 years. I rescued a snake with a fungal infection from a lady's house whose son had gone away to college and she had kept it in the basement with a 60w bulb. He required daily shots for several weeks (not fun to give a snake a shot, I might add). I have had cats, dogs, hamsters, guinea pigs, fish, a couple saved wild birds later released. I'll never understand why someone would even bother to get a pet only to treat it in this manner. If you don't feel like driving it to the pound, at the very least, leave the door open when you leave.

Back