• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

CbabyRKO

Trumperdink Mussolini
The American marketing executive murdered at a five-star Cape Town hotel was on vacation with her 'lover' when he is alleged to have killed her.

Gabriela Kabrins, 39, was found dead at the Camps Bay Retreat Boutique Hotel on Wednesday with a pound of cocaine in her room and Diego Guarte, 41, was taken into custody wandering a nearby beach half naked.

Investigators have told the Daily Mail Online they believe Kabrins was involved in a sex and drugs session that went wrong and charged Guarte, who is from Guatemala, in connection with her death on Friday.

According to police, Kabrins had been the victim of a horrific sexual assault using a curling iron.

They also revealed a message had been smeared onto her body with her excrement.

Police believe that the pair traveled to Cape Town together and were in town for a possible drugs deal.

According to investigators, Guarte does not speak English and the police are currently securing an interpreter.

The National Prosecuting Authority's Eric Ntabazalila said, 'I can confirm the suspect from Guatemala appeared in court on a charge of murder and more charges are likely to be made as the investigations continue.'

The Camps Bay hotel is described on its website as 'a sanctuary for the soul', which charges up to $6,900 per night for a room, with suites costing up to $10,000 per night.

Speaking to friends of Gabriela, the Daily Mail Online has learned that she left her home in Los Angeles a few weeks ago to spend time with Guarte in his home country of Guatemala before they traveled on to South Africa for a luxury break.

Gabriela, who is fluent in Spanish, had met Guarte when she was younger but they had rekindled their friendship on social media two years ago.

Gabriela lives in a smart apartment building in West LA with her two poodles, which she moved in to when it first opened four years ago.

friend and neighbor told Daily Mail Online that she 'loved' Guarte and looked forward to seeing him in Guatemala.

The friend, who asked not to be named, said: 'She was very much in love with him, she would spend months at a time with him in Guatemala. Last year I think she was there for five months.

'They met many years ago, I think at college, but have since reconnected on social media and started dating two years ago.

'She would talk about him a lot, but never said anything bad about him.'

The friend described Gabriela as a 'sweet lady' who was very 'caring'.

'She was very health conscious, she regularly took fitness classes and drank health juices a lot. She was close to her parents and would have family around at the apartment,' the friend said.

The friend said: 'She lived a quiet life, she was dedicated to her work and wasn't a party animal at all. She was a very stylish lady, she had great taste.

'She worked from home but often would fly out to Miami where she did a lot of business.

'To hear cocaine was found in the hotel is very surprising to me, it just doesn't sound like her.'

The friend said she had spoken with Gabriela's father on Thursday night and said he is 'understandably upset' by the news.

'Gabriela's was his only daughter, he loved her very much. They are just trying to deal with this right now.'

The U.S. Embassy in South Africa said the killing occurred on Wednesday, but refused to give any more details about the case.

The exclusive retreat where she died is one of Cape Town's premier hotels and its website states: 'Set on four acres of lush green nature reserve, with a mountain meditation pool, thickets of trees, waterfalls and streams, it is a peaceful paradise, where meditative moments are waiting to be had.

'A refuge for the body and a haven for the mind, you'll unravel and surrender to the tranquility.'

Her friend and business partner, Martin Llorens, with whom she founded a Hispanic television and marketing venture posted a tribute to her on Facebook mourning the sudden death.
[…]
The 39-year-old LA resident was a graduate of Pepperdine Universtiy in Malibu, California and founded and her own marketing and advertising firm, Conexión in 2002 with Martín Llorens.

According to her LinkedIn profile, Kabrins was born and raised in LA and describes herself as being of Mexican descent.

Her work with Llorens is specifically designed to raise the profile of the Hispanic community in LA and with him founded her venture, 'Hola Martín: Estilo de Vida' in 2007.

The show appeared on the top rated Spanish language morning show 'Despierta America' on the Univision network.

However, last year it appeared that Kabrins fell into financial difficulties.

She broke her back in May of 2013 and the resulting medical bills left her strapped for cash.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-arrest-Guatemalan-suspect.html#ixzz3hVHvkHDL

Wow. There are a lot of ways I don't want to die. Regardless of how I go though, I don't want my goodbye note to be written on my corpse in poop.

Gunpowder? I am totally naive when it comes to recreational drugs beyond marijuana... people actually ingest gunpowder to get high? Or is that the name of something else and I'm just a total dorknozzle?
Have you ever seen the movie Lord of War? There's a scene where Nicholas Cage does it with the warlords son and goes on a crazy ass trip.
The nitroglycerin in the gunpowder is supposed to open up your veins and let the cocaine flow more freely through the body.
I doubt it's very common but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw they were found in Africa with a pound of coke her dead and him nekkid on a beach out of it.

I don't know what's so odd about him walking on a beach half-naked. Isn't that how most men go to the beach? They don't exactly say WHICH half, do they?

I was thinking Brown-brown. Cocaine mixed with smokeless gunpowder.

I had never heard of people doing that, so... thanks?

(I'd heard of "powdering" dogs-- mixing gunpowder of some kind into their food to make them vicious/insane; then again, it was my dad who told me about that, and he's frequently full of shit. I hate reading about all the terrible things people do to animals, so I never looked it up.)

(This has been a completely content-free post. Sorry. :cyclops:)

Have you ever seen the movie Lord of War? There's a scene where Nicholas Cage does it with the warlords son and goes on a crazy ass trip.
The nitroglycerin in the gunpowder is supposed to open up your veins and let the cocaine flow more freely through the body.
I doubt it's very common but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw they were found in Africa with a pound of coke her dead and him nekkid on a beach out of it.
Well, that's a whole lot of fucked up!

Fuck me curling iron? Owwwwwwww
And they don't come right out and say it, but it seems to me that they allude that said curling iron assault was in the butt... :wideyed: at least, that's the impression I get! (No matter what, HORRIFYING!) I kinda hope someone did something to him and he didn't do it deliberately... I guess just bc she trusted and cared- maybe even loved- him. :confused:

Are you fucking kidding me?! :arghh: where did you read that?! I can't imagine that a decent journalist (or his/her editor) would allow that to be printed in a reputable news source! (Not sayin that I don't love me a good trashy source of the "news," don't get me wrong!)

Are you fucking kidding me?! :arghh: where did you read that?! I can't imagine that a decent journalist (or his/her editor) would allow that to be printed in a reputable news source! (Not sayin that I don't love me a good trashy source of the "news," don't get me wrong!)
I read it on Heavy.com who quote SA police but there's nothing in the linked article.
According to Eyewitness News in South Africa, when Kabrins was found, she had been sexually assaulted with a hot curling iron and that message had been written in feces across her body.
http://heavy.com/news/2015/07/gabri...rder-killing-dead-funeral-facebook-cape-town/

was taken into custody wandering a nearby beach half naked.

Isn't that normal? It's a fucking beach. What an odd, bizarrely impertinent detail.

how do you afford to stay somewhere so exceptionally posh when you have trouble paying your medical bills?

Involved with folks south of the border, heavily anchored in the hispanic community, cocaine, possible drug deals in africa. I think it's safe to assume she wasn't only buying/snorting the stuff. Broad was making some cash dolla fo sho(i think that's how the folks in that line of work phrase it) .

Anyways, an American visiting Africa and ending up dead is hardly news worthy i don't think. Interesting that even in some absurdly over priced, uppity as fuck hotel in South Africa, Americans end up brutally slaughtered. When will people learn not to visit the earths many shitstains?

Martín Llorens.

martin.jpg

'A refuge for the body and a haven for the mind, you'll unravel and surrender to the tranquility.'

... Ha! not so much....
Drug dealing ... a LB of cocaine for recreational use ? now... THAT'S a good time :p
....minus the shit and death and it coulda been a fun vacation.:hilarious::hilarious:

POOP....really? What is wrong with you man, If you can find her curling iron, then I am sure you could have found a lipstick close by to write your messages with. Now you have shit under your fingernails...with any luck you'll get pink eye.

... Ha! not so much....
Drug dealing ... a LB of cocaine for recreational use ? now... THAT'S a good time :p
....minus the shit and death and it coulda been a fun vacation.:hilarious::hilarious:

Oh he UNRAVELED alright...

Thanks for the link! :) I need another "news" source that doesn't focus first on politics and the war.

(I've got my priorities straight.)

The billionaire playboy accused of murdering his American businesswoman girlfriend in a luxury South African hotel told a witness 'she's dead' before he was arrested.

Diego Dougherty, the estranged scion of a Central American industrial dynasty, is accused of the drug-fueled killing of Los Angeles businesswoman Gabriela Kabrins, in an exclusive South African hotel room.

Now it can be revealed he was arrested in the hotel itself, not on the beach, as had previously been suggested by accounts from police sources.

[…]

And it can be disclosed that Dougherty is exercising his right to silence and has made no statement to police about what happened in the room.

Dougherty appeared in Cape Town magistrates court today, where he spoke for the first time, to indicate that he understood proceedings, which were relayed to him through a Spanish interpreter.

[…]

He was wearing new clothes, a grey sweater, black track pants and new shoes, and was following the court procedure standing up in the dock.

A tattoo on his left side of his neck was fully visible, with the number 13.

He spoke on eleven occasions, saying each time in Spanish 'Si entiendo' (Yes, I understand) when the interpreter translated what the Magistrate, the prosecutor or his lawyer was saying in court.

He made no further plea or declaration, and was remanded in custody at the end of the hearing.

The court hearing was to rule on whether he could be photographed or filmed at subsequent appearances.

Dougherty's lawyer, William Booth, regarded as one of South Africa's most eminent defense attorneys, had opposed the measure, as had the prosecution.

The magistrate,Grant Engel, ruled that until police have carried out an identity parade, cameras will be banned.

It will then be up to a future court to decide whether there will be televised proceedings.

The court also heard that a bail application could come as early as Friday.

Booth told the court that he wanted to request more information from the prosecution about the case against Dougherty - and used the request to explain that Dougherty has made no comment on what happened in the room in police interviews.

He said that all that he knew was that his client is accused of the murder and that his client and the deceased shared a room at the hotel.

He also requested information about the alleged narcotic substance found in the room - which police sources have said was more than one pound of cocaine.

But the prosecutor, Louise Sampson, told the court that Dougherty told a witness he encountered in the hotel: 'She is dead.'

She said that there Dougherty was responsible for the woman's death and the injuries that caused the death.

Sampson also told the court there is prima facie evidence against Dougherty, and circumstantial evidence placing him at the scene of the crime, but did not disclose further details.

The hearing was adjourned. Booth may make a bail application as early as Friday.

However the dead woman's family have already hinted at concerns about the administration of justice in South Africa.

In a tribute to Kabrins, a divorcee from Los Angeles, they said she was'clean living' and devoted to her two dogs, and also said that they were determined to pursue 'justice' for her.

None of Kabrins' family were in court today, but two family friends of Dougherty did attend. They took him pizza for lunch while he was being held in the court's cells.

Dougherty was arrested on July 29 after the body of Kabrins, 39, was found in the Camps Bay Retreat, a five-star hotel near Cape Town.

She had been horrifically sexually assaulted. Dougherty was said to have been a heavy cocaine and crack cocaine user, and friends revealed last week to Daily Mail Online that he had taken ibogaine, a powerful herbal drug which is said to help addicts kick their habits, prior to the murder.

Sources described the murder as possibly being a sex game gone wrong.

His family, who are billionaires in Guatemala through the Dougherty-Novella cement dynasty, have issued a statement distancing themselves from him and saying they had not seen him in a year, and calling the situation 'a tragedy'.

Kabrins had been a successful businesswoman with her business partner, providing Spanish-language marketing consultancy services to a series of Forbes 100 firms.

She is understood to have known Dougherty when he was a student in the US and reconnected with him on social media. He is thought to be banned from entering the country because of DWI convictions.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-girlfriend-refusing-speak.html#ixzz3j8QMsmOZ

Now a friend has given the first insight into what both Dougherty and his tragic girlfriend, a 39-year-old businesswoman were doing in the country.

Simon Hill, a South African who had come to know Diego Dougherty well in the months before the murder, said Dougherty had spent the previous two months traveling in the country after undergoing a controversial therapy to help him quit drugs.

The habitual cocaine and crack cocaine user had gone to South Africa to take Ibogaine, which is based on a powerful root native to west Africa.

The powder it is used to prepare is said to be capable of ending addicts' cravings for drugs.

Hill told Daily Mail Online that Dougherty had been initially successful in quitting drugs and had persuaded Kabrins that she should come to South Africa to take the therapy - in her case not for drugs but for an auto-immune condition from which she suffered.

But before she arrived, Dougherty had stayed at another hotel in central Cape Town and returned to 'partying', taking drugs including cocaine and methamphetamine, known locally as 'tik'.

He also suggested that the pound of white powder found in the hotel room after the murder was not cocaine but natural salts which Kabrins had taken to combat the condition.

Hills spoke to Daily Mail Online after a series of court appearances by Dougherty which have shed little extra light on the murder.

In its immediate aftermath police sources said Dougherty was arrested in a confused state on the beach near the hotel, although it was later said that he was actually arrested in the hotel itself.

The prosecution told the court earlier this month that he told officers calmly 'she's dead' before being arrested.

He has apparently offered no further explanation of events in police interviews and his family have hired William Booth, one of South Africa's most renowned defense attorneys.

Hill told Daily Mail Online that the 'tragic' death came after Dougherty returned to drugs.

'There was a long time lapse between him doing Ibogaine therapy and him being arrested for murder,' he said.

'That was a lot of time, it just didn't happen overnight. Look, there is a long history of drug abuse with Diego, unfortunately. A

'And he came to this country to try and heal, and to try and break the addiction which was why he was seeking out Ibogaine therapy, but he didn't stick with it, that is the problem, he didn't stay with it.

'For some reason he decided to some point to go back and start taking street drugs again. I think that had a lot to do with what happened.

'I don't think he has been sleeping properly, I just think he has been partying so hard.'

Hill said that the initial attempt at kicking drugs had been successful.

'He came over here in April, so he has been in the country for quite a while,' Hill said.

'And he went on a tour round the country, country wide tour, and that was when I met him. And he clearly wasn't doing any drugs.

'He seemed to be clear. I believe he did do some Ibogaine therapy, and it seemed to help a lot. Gave a lot of insight, and a lot of understanding as to his addiction problems.

'There was a lot of emotional trauma, I think, underlying his problem, and that very often is, when people turns to drugs because they are in pain.

So despite the fact that he came from a very wealthy family he was still in a lot of emotional pain I think a lot of the time. And I think he used drugs trying numb that pain.

'And I think what happened with that Ibogaine therapy he would have received some really deep insight to his problems and underlying emotional trauma and he would have opportunity to work with that but I don't think he didn't stick with that.'

Hill said Dougherty's mother had died when he was just 12 or 13, and that he was not rooted in his family.

In a statement earlier this month to Daily Mail Online, his family had acknowledged that he had become estranged from them, saying it had been a year since he had last made contact with other family members.

Hill said that he felt the lack of family connection had contributed to Dougherty's lack of self-discipline in attempting to kick his drug habit.

Hill supports the use of Ibogaine - which is hugely controversial, illegal in many countries including the US and not recommended by mainstream medicine - but said it usually took many rounds of the treatment to succeed, with the success coming down to self-discipline.

'It is not like a magic bullet, it is not like a one pill that you take and your problem solved,' he said.

You got to stay with it, you got to work with it. I think most people who have make a full recovery probably do several treatments. But he, I don't think, had a lot of self discipline, that's the other thing.'

Hill said he believed Dougherty had waited to undergo more therapy partly because he wanted Kabrins to be with him, as he had persuaded her to try it for an auto-immune condition she suffered gtom.

'He did the therapy and the thing was he was supposed to go back and continue with it but he never did,' Hill said.

'And in fact, I believe his excuse was that he was waiting for Gabriela to come to the country because he wanted her to do it with him.

'He wanted her to do it with him, because he believed it would help her. She had some auto immune disorder and he believed it could help her as well.

'But, you know, I think he was wiser because he should have continued with his therapy and then, it wouldn't have, it would have a far better outcome.'

Dougherty took the Ibogaine treatment in May - apparently near to Magaliesburg, a beautiful mountainous area outside Johannesburg - and traveled around South Africa in the subsequent weeks.

Among the places he visited were some of the country's ancient sites including 'Adams Calendar', a megalthic site seen by some as having mystical significance in Mpumalanga, close to the country's border with Swaziland, and Keurboomstrand in the Eastern Cape, before he arrived in Cape Town.

Hill said the playboy described himself as a 'collector of hotel slippers' - in other words a professional traveler.

Cape Town he checked into a trendy boutique hotel called The Grand Daddy on Long Street, an area of Malay houses which is home to bars and backpackers, and where drugs are easily obtained.

'That's where all the partying happened and I think he started party again and that's what I know,' Hill said.

'He was in a state of complete confusion I believe. That is what I have been told. And certainly when last time I spoke to him he sounded like he was complete[ly] confused.'

He was later joined by Kabrins, Hill said adding: 'He spoke about her quite fondly, he was very fond of her, which make this whole thing so tragic, it is incredibly tragic.'

Hill disclosed that Kabrins had an auto-immune disorder similar to lupus, and that Dougherty had told him she was taking a supplement known as MSM - methyl sulfonyl methane - a compound of sulfur found in many foods.

'It is all speculations, and I believe the white powder might not have been cocaine,' he said.

'It could have been, MSM, apparently she was using MSM for her condition.'

Dougherty has not been charged as yet with any drug offenses in South Africa.

Hill said that the alleged murderer had clearly had problems in his past and that he had been able to indulge himself because of the wealth of his family.

The rest of the family are engaged in running the business and in a family philanthropic foundation, but Dougherty as not involved in either.

'I think, that was his downfall really, his lack of self discipline,' he said.

'There is a lack of purpose, because he came from such a wealthy family, that money was never an issue so he could indulge himself in any way he liked.

'In many ways he was a little bit alienated, from his brother and father, I think he was a little bit a sense that he was alienated from them, and that was where a lot of the pain came from.

'His mother died when he, I think he was 12 or 13 if I remember correctly, and that devastated him.

'So I feel a lot of compassion for him, now he is in the South African prison system and make no mistake... his hell has just begun.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...troversial-therapy-lupus-used-kick-drugs.html

with the success coming down to self-discipline.
So, basically one spends a fuck-ton of money for some "miracle" addiction treatment to only find out that it's like any other addiction treatment: you'll only stay clean when you're good and ready.

So much for that Ibogaine miracle bullshit people talk about.

Back