• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Forensicwx

Final Roll Call 4153. STLCO 10-42 10/13 @ 1519
A New Mexico dispatcher has resigned after telling a panicked 911 caller who was trying to save the life of a shooting victim to "deal with it yourself."

Matthew Sanchez was reassigned after officials became aware of the call.... a statement.....chief administrative officer said that Sanchez has resigned from the fire department.

The call was made after Jaydon Chavez-Silver, 17, was shot in June as he watched other teens play cards at a friend's house in Albuquerque. He later died. Police have not named a suspect and have made no arrests.

....the panicked caller snaps at the dispatcher for repeatedly asking whether Chavez-Silver is breathing.

During the call, the female says, "I am keeping him alive!"

Sanchez asks, "Is he not breathing?"

The caller responds, "Barely!"

She is then heard frantically encouraging Chavez-Silver to keep breathing.

"One more breath! One more breath!" she is heard telling the teen. "There you go Jaydon. One more breath! There you go Jaydon. Good job! Just stay with me, OK? OK?"

The dispatcher then asks again, "Is he breathing?"

The female responded, "He is barely breathing, how many times do I have to (expletive) tell you?"

"OK, you know what ma'am? You can deal with it yourself. I am not going to deal with this, OK?" the dispatcher says.

It seemed from the tape that Sanchez hung up on the caller in mid-sentence.

"No, my friend is dying .," she said as the call ended.
http://m.chron.com/news/crime/article/Firefighter-on-administrative-duty-over-handling-6409649.php

Aren't dispatchers trained to deal with emotionally charged individuals dealing with tragic situations? I would think they would be. He should resign. He is not fit for this job.

I read about this yesterday. Initially, the dispatcher was placed on administrative reassignment. I guess the 'lil turd decided it would be best to get the Hell outta Dodge before the shitstorm blows in at full strength.

Why can't these losers just be fired
Fucking unions and government jobs
Yours forever no matter how incompetent you are

Resign, my ass. There should be some type of stronger measure they can take to charge the fucker with some sort of crime. His inaction could have contributed to the death.

His inaction could have contributed to the death.
In what I've read over the last two days, he did at least dispatch EMS and police before he became a complete jackass, throwing his little temper tantrum.

I don't know if he could have talked her through anything to do to help her friend, things like direct pressure or something but if he was breathing then she wouldn't have needed CPR instructions.

Not that it makes him less of an asshole but he did at least get help on the way first.

In what I've read over the last two days, he did at least dispatch EMS and police before he became a complete jackass, throwing his little temper tantrum.
I was wondering about that...I didn't see it in the original article. Still, to me, being able to simply resign and walk away without facing any sort of genuine admonishment seems unjust. I hope the bastard's life depends on a 911 call some day, and he dies before help arrives, giving him plenty of time to think about what an asshole he was and how Karma is laughing at his ass.

But that's just me.

Remember those coca-cola commercials from the 1970's, with people holding hands and that song about "I'd like to teach the world to sing...?" They need to bring those back. People are just getting too damn pissy all the time. Hell, even me - I used to be a really happy, laid back guy.

https://m.soundcloud.com/sebastianmurdock/911albcall

A 911 dispatcher with the Albuquerque Fire Department has been reassigned after hanging up on a frustrated caller attending to a dying gunshot victim, NBC News reports.

In a released audio recording, dispatcher Matthew Sanchez can be heard saying “I’m not going to deal with this, okay?” in response to the caller’s vulgar language before ending the phone call. From KOB-TV:

Caller: (inaudible) I’m keeping him alive.

Sanchez: Is he not breathing?

Caller: Barely. (inaudible) Stay with me. Stay with me, ok. Good job Jaydon.

Sanchez: Is he breathing?

Caller: He’s barely breathing. How many times do I have to [fucking] tell you?

Sanchez: Ok, [you know] what ma’am? You can deal with yourself. I’m not going to deal with this, ok.

Caller: No, he’s going to die.

The call ends there.

According to KRQE, fire department units had been dispatched before Sanchez disconnected the line but the victim, 17-year-old Jaydon Chavez-Silver, was later pronounced dead at a hospital.

On Monday, Albuquerque Fire Department Chief David Downey released a statementsaying he was “taking the allegation very seriously.”

“After learning of the alleged misconduct, Driver Matthew Sanchez was immediately removed from the dispatch center and placed on administrative assignment,” wrote Downey. “An internal investigation has been initiated.”

http://gawker.com/deal-with-it-yourself-911-operator-hangs-up-on-calle-1720740307

Well regardless all the training in the world there is 2 sides, behind both sides is a Human being. We always tend to take the "customer is always right" route without ever considering what may have caused such reaction from the side we accuse.

Many individuals are trained as phone reps to deal with abusive calls regardless the reasoning for the abusive behavior, but that doesn't mean the individual trained is going to field every one of those calls perfectly, it adds up sometimes and people just need a break. Have others here never just been so stressed out over something they snapped at someone they had no intention of doing so and in the end felt like a real ass? My guess is the dispatcher was having a rough go at it himself and personal issues bled into work that day, maybe his wife cheating on him, lost a close relative, down on his luck, financial issues who knows.

Whatever it is after spending 6 years in a call center years ago I know what that job is like and unfortunately you had 2 individuals stressed out encounter eachother for an unfavorable ending, hell nobody knows if this guy hasn't been employeed as a dispatcher for the last 10 years with a perfect record with this being his 1st mistake, would you still be so quick to assure he was fired without remorse, consider a friend or family member in the same situation. It's just an unfortunate instance that makes me curious as to why he hung up like that, something seems off, you obviously don't hear about these things often.

Well regardless all the training in the world there is 2 sides, behind both sides is a Human being. We always tend to take the "customer is always right" route without ever considering what may have caused such reaction from the side we accuse.

Many individuals are trained as phone reps to deal with abusive calls regardless the reasoning for the abusive behavior, but that doesn't mean the individual trained is going to field every one of those calls perfectly, it adds up sometimes and people just need a break. Have others here never just been so stressed out over something they snapped at someone they had no intention of doing so and in the end felt like a real ass? My guess is the dispatcher was having a rough go at it himself and personal issues bled into work that day, maybe his wife cheating on him, lost a close relative, down on his luck, financial issues who knows.

Whatever it is after spending 6 years in a call center years ago I know what that job is like and unfortunately you had 2 individuals stressed out encounter eachother for an unfavorable ending, hell nobody knows if this guy hasn't been employeed as a dispatcher for the last 10 years with a perfect record with this being his 1st mistake, would you still be so quick to assure he was fired without remorse, consider a friend or family member in the same situation. It's just an unfortunate instance that makes me curious as to why he hung up like that, something seems off, you obviously don't hear about these things often.

How many times should we allow 911 operators to refuse to render aid to dying people due to stress? Three sounds like a nice round number. Let's make it three.

Now, do we count the ones who don't actually die, or do we assign them a number of percentage points based upon how many vulgar words the caller assisting them uses? Say, a mother screams three curse words while trying to resuscitate her baby, so the operator hangs up. Mom's got Suri, so she finds a YouTube video of cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the baby lives as a vegetable for 37 years. Maybe that could count as, say, 0.4 because the Mom used three vulgar words and it was just a little baby.

Maybe the only fair way to do it would be to count just the ones who would definitely have lived if the operator hadn't hung up. Say, a father calls begging for directions on how to use an Epi-pen and mutters "oh, fuck, I'm losing him!" so the operator tells him off and hangs up. The kid dies from anaphylactic shock that could easily have been prevented. So a little red check goes into the operator's file. Oops! Only two more strikes and you're out! Well, maybe make it a purple check. Red seems kind of harsh, and it might have a negative impact on the operator's self-esteem.

How many times should we allow 911 operators to refuse to render aid to dying people due to stress?

ZERO.

If I call 911, I want that mother fucker to send me what ever I need.

A simple cuss word or a bunch of cuss words shouldn't be an excuse to hang up. The operator can ask a co-worker or supervisor to step in and take over the call.

Yes, I did. I wasn't sure if it was sarcasm.

ps
I was raised on the F word. It was and still is part of my daily diet. I better only call 911 for my enemies.

Yeah, it was :). I was taking a previous poster's reasoning to its inevitable conclusion.

And I know if I called 911 there'd be at least a few f-bombs in there.

Yeah, it was :). I was taking a previous poster's reasoning to its inevitable conclusion.

And I know if I called 911 there'd be at least a few f-bombs in there.

inevitable conclusion? Here's the inevitable conclusion, Keep hiring humans to perform work and you will continue to have mistakes.

I never once indicated on giving the guy a 2nd chance at his position. For every action there is a consequence. I am so true to that philosophy, I have convinced many I am the furthest thing from a humanitarian. I was primarily responding to the 1st post wondering if this were someone close to them would that be their response?

I don't grab the torch and pitchfork very easily but rather assess what happened and why. I mentioned working in a call center environment for several years and from my own experience and witnessing what I did, I find his actions quite intriguing. If the exact conversation listed above is verbatim, I have a feeling the reasoning behind his actions will be far more interesting than finding out exactly who shot the teen, his relation to the teen, and the motive behind the shooting(Isn't that what this page is about? Anymore these shootings are a dime a dozen)

So rather than rallying the troops with a tunnel vision view in crucifying the 911 operator, I was simply suggesting maybe there is something more to look at here, not just his actions, but reasoning behind his actions. As the other 7 billion some people on this planet, your view reflects a minute fraction of a percent, a similar percentage it will have in determining the outcome of this all... get where I'm going with this? So rather than pretend we sit here from our computers determining some individuals fate, high fiving each other slapping our guts and belching as we shame and textually abuse the accused for likes, why not change up the posts and venture down the road less traveled? It appears though this simply can't be so if you can't win you might as well join them right?

"Burn the fucker at stake!!! If it weren't for his actions this poor kid would be alive!!! :rage:"

ok ready for more likes, need another trophy! ;)

inevitable conclusion? Here's the inevitable conclusion, Keep hiring humans to perform work and you will continue to have mistakes.

I never once indicated on giving the guy a 2nd chance at his position. For every action there is a consequence. I am so true to that philosophy, I have convinced many I am the furthest thing from a humanitarian. I was primarily responding to the 1st post wondering if this were someone close to them would that be their response?

I don't grab the torch and pitchfork very easily but rather assess what happened and why. I mentioned working in a call center environment for several years and from my own experience and witnessing what I did, I find his actions quite intriguing. If the exact conversation listed above is verbatim, I have a feeling the reasoning behind his actions will be far more interesting than finding out exactly who shot the teen, his relation to the teen, and the motive behind the shooting(Isn't that what this page is about? Anymore these shootings are a dime a dozen)

So rather than rallying the troops with a tunnel vision view in crucifying the 911 operator, I was simply suggesting maybe there is something more to look at here, not just his actions, but reasoning behind his actions. As the other 7 billion some people on this planet, your view reflects a minute fraction of a percent, a similar percentage it will have in determining the outcome of this all... get where I'm going with this? So rather than pretend we sit here from our computers determining some individuals fate, high fiving each other slapping our guts and belching as we shame and textually abuse the accused for likes, why not change up the posts and venture down the road less traveled? It appears though this simply can't be so if you can't win you might as well join them right?

"Burn the fucker at stake!!! If it weren't for his actions this poor kid would be alive!!! :rage:"

ok ready for more likes, need another trophy! ;)

You aren't too familiar with my posts, are you?

There is so much truth to what @Exodus is saying. We are seeing in PD, being scared, pissed, indignant. We will continue to see it as long as humans are employed in these positions, and they should suffer the consequences

According to KRQE, fire department units had been dispatched before Sanchez disconnected the line but the victim, 17-year-old Jaydon Chavez-Silver, was later pronounced dead at a hospital.
He sent the goddamn fire department and ambulance, there is nothing more he can do. Certainly he should have been the bigger person and realized he's dealing with a panicking caller and continued trying to obtain information, but in now way was he responsible for this kid's death. Penalize the guy, take him off of dispatch duty, whatever, but let's not make a bigger deal out of this than it is.

I'm not certain how this kid came to be a victim of gun violence, but move out of the ghetto, stop dealing with drugs, guns and all around thuggery and it's amazing how often you don't get shot.

Last edited:
Charges dropped against 2 accused in Jaydon Chavez-Silver murder

The Bernalillo County District Attorney's Office on Thursday dropped charges against two of the four men charged in the shooting death of Jaydon Chavez-Silver last summer.

District Attorney Kari Brandenburg said charges against Donovan Maez and Christopher Cruz were both dropped Wednesday.

Both faced first-degree murder, attempting to commit first-degree murder, shooting at an occupied dwelling resulting in death, shooting from a motor vehicle and conspiracy charges – all felonies.

Brandenburg wrote in a news release that she had consulted with Chavez-Silver's family before making the decision.

However, Chavez-Silver's mother, Nicole Chavez, said in a statement to KOB that she was "not consulted, but informed" that the charges would be dismissed.

"We are completely devastated with today's news. After losing our son, the least we had hoped for was to get Justice for Jaydon. We do not agree with the statement that was issued by the District Attorney's office, as we were not consulted but informed of the charges being dismissed, this came as an utter shock to our family. We pray that anyone with any information will come forward and tell the truth regarding Jaydon's case. We will continue to fight to get justice for our son. We have seen firsthand the injustices in the legal system and we will continue to work towards fixing these flaws. We pray that there will be Justice for Jaydon," Chavez wrote in the statement.
http://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news...n-maez-christopher-cruz/4158307/#.V4ranOgrK03

Teen suspect in Jaydon Chavez-Silver shooting pleads guilty to lesser charges

One of the teens charged in the fatal shooting of Jaydon Chavez-Silver in Albuquerque last summer pleaded guilty to lesser charges in the case Tuesday.

Nicholas Gonzales-Villasenor was indicted last August on first and second-degree murder and manslaughter charges, or their numerous alternatives.

Tuesday, he pleaded guilty to one count of shooting at a dwelling or occupied building with great bodily harm and conspiracy.

He had faced charges as a serious youth offender, but will no longer face the adult legal system since he will not be convicted of first-degree murder. He was arrested in the case in August, while he was already in custody on other charges.

He will be sentenced at a later date, a spokesman for the district attorney's office told KOB.
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s4190595.shtml#.V4rbnegrK03

I think this dispatcher needs more than just resign. I don't know what. But something harsher.
People in situations like this lady are not responsible for what they say. They are in shock, panic, and emotional. If they were calm and collected, I would think they were guilty of something.
I have had 2 ambulance rides, and thank God they didn't get offended and throw my ass out, because I was anything but nice. Seriously years later they remembered me.

Back