• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Cameray

1-year-old girl found dead in Medina apartment; father charged with abuse of a corpse

warfelmugs.jpg

Eric M. Warfel, 34 - Medina County Sheriff’s Office
MEDINA, Ohio– A one-year-old girl was found dead inside an apartment in Medina on Wednesday. The father, Eric Warfel, was arrested and charged with abuse of a corpse. Police said additional charges are expected.

Medina police identified the child as Ember Warfel.

Officials tell Fox 8’s Kevin Freeman that a cable installer arrived at the apartment around 10 a.m. and when he went inside, he found the baby’s body decomposed in a crib. It’s believed the child may have been dead about a month.

The cable installer then called police. Neighbors told police that they saw the father leave the apartment the night before the cable installer arrived.

“The gentleman that was here would never hook up with them. Finally he gave permission to come in today and he was gone last night, so actually the poor cable repairman was the one that discovered the child,” said Medina Police Chief Patrick Berarducci.

Warfel was arrested shortly after at Crocker Park, while he was with his 7-year-old daughter. He’s being held in the Medina County Jail. His daughter is being cared for by her grandparents.

“It’s been very hard on the officers; almost every one of them on this case today has young children,” Berarducci added.

Police are now attempting to locate and contact the baby’s mother; it is possible she is in New York City.

The cause of the girl’s death is unknown, and will be investigated.

More on the story...

Eric Warfel: Father arrested after body of decomposed child found in Medina apartment

Father arrested after child's decomposed body found in Medina apartment

Toddler found dead in Medina apartment; father arrested

So... beside Ember, we learn from Cameray's second link that father Eric Warfel had another daughter Erin, who died on March 31, 2013 at five months. It is not yet clear how this baby died. I think it lucky that the elder daughter has survived to the ripe old age of seven after learning of the other siblings death.

he found the baby’s body decomposed in a crib. It’s believed the child may have been dead about a month.
The cable installer then called police. Neighbors told police that they saw the father leave the apartment the night before the cable installer arrived.
Why was the body still there? Wouldn't hiding or removing the body be a pretty high priority especially when the cable guy is coming?

That poor cable guy. I'm sure he's had to put up with some horrible situations before, nasty houses, vicious pets, children "helping" him, but I'm pretty sure this one takes the cake. How could you live with a baby's body decomposing in the next room? Poor cable guy, I think I'd have PTSD from that. I don't know if I could ever enter another stranger's house again.

I'll reserve judgement for the autopsy.
Why?

Serious question. You said the baby looked underfed AND he kept her rotting corpse hidden for a month, why reserve judgment? If the child died from natural causes then a doctor would be involved who could verify the underlying illness.

I'm failing to see a logical reason for the sudden death of a child and the hiding of a corpse for a month. He was a great "Facebook Parent" posting shit for the congrats and the pats on the back form his internet friends but in real life clearly parenting isn't his strong suit.

http://news.yahoo.com/young-girls-decomposed-body-found-crib-father-arrested-114527310.html

A man who told police he put bags of garbage in his young daughter's room to mask the smell of her decomposing body was granted sole custody of the toddler during a divorce last year.

Eric Warfel, 34, of Medina, a suburb south of Cleveland, was ordered held on a $1 million bond on Thursday after being charged with abuse of a corpse. He was arrested Wednesday after a cable television technician was allowed inside his apartment to upgrade the service and found the body of 21-month-old Ember Warfel inside her crib.

A magistrate in Medina read from a report at the bond hearing that said Warfel told police Ember died June 18 and he hadn't informed family members or anyone else about her death. The report said Warfel had put garbage in the girl's room to mask the smell and had moved into a motel with a 7-year-old daughter. Police found Warfel and the girl Wednesday at a shopping center in the Cleveland suburb of Westlake.

An autopsy will be conducted to determine how Ember died. Medina police have said additional charges are expected.

Warfel and his ex-wife, Malinali Galdamez, had another child who died. Five-month-old Erin Warfel died March 31, 2013, after being taken by paramedics to a hospital while in full cardiac arrest, according to an autopsy report. Her death was ruled as "sudden unexplained infant death."

Warfel and Galdamez married Feb. 14, 2012. A divorce decree indicates the 7-year-old has the same last name as her mother. The girl was removed from Warfel and Galdamez's home before their divorce by the Cuyahoga County Department of Job and Family Services and moved in with Warfel's parents.

Galdamez did not seek any parenting rights beyond limited visitations. There are numerous references in the divorce decree to her substance abuse problems. It was Galdamez's fifth marriage and Warfel's first. Medina Police Chief Patrick Berarducci said Galdamez lives somewhere in New York.

Prosecutors asked for a high bond because they consider Warfel a flight risk. The magistrate said Warfel had previously discussed moving out of state. He told the magistrate Thursday that he last worked for an insurance company in 2012.

Last edited:
This crappy Chromebook doubleposted, but anyway I thought you might like to know this is my 10,000 post, only took me nearly 7 years but I DID IT! YAY!

Last edited:
If you look at his facebook he has a big gap btwn june 15th then all the sudden starts posting again mid July like nothing happened. The last pic of the little girl does not look normal. I haven't had a chance to go through moms yet. She posts way too much.

I can't get over how small she is in that swing. She has been so obviously nutritionally neglected. My nephew is small (29lbs and just turned 2) and has been since he was born, but he never looked anything like that. Here's him in a park swing at 15 months. I don't know if park swings all come in one standard size or not, but just comparing how much space he fills to how she is absolutely swallowed up in the swing she's in just shocks me.

I saw the video of Ember on the swing in April, she was approximately 1.5 years old. No matter how you look at it, this baby is incredibly small for her age, and very fragile looking. Toddlers around that age should look like @araisner's nephew, sturdy, muscular, impish, not looking at if they are going to faint from the swing moving too fast. The poor thing looked like an infant, no muscle tone, just sitting there, not really participating in the swinging activity. Poor sweet baby, she more than likely starved to death unlesss he abused her to death.

http://www.cleveland.com/medina/index.ssf/2015/07/cocaine_discovered_in_motel_ro.htmlhtml

Sorry guys the link is not working ..uuggh .

The cocaine is the only NEW discovery in this sad investigation.. I find it odd though that they state " they found what appeared to be cocaine in the hotel room " cops have a 2 second test kit, why did they just not test it ??

Ember looked healthy and then like over night she lost half her body weight ... The dad seems like he's really up and then he's really down.. Angry.. I have a feeling he has some mental disorder.. Or the cocaine..

Rip ember ..

Last edited:
Ember looks like she is handicapped, maybe she died unexpectedly and he is truly a greiving father in shock who lives each day normally as if she is alive?
At least i hope that is the case. :(

I just looked up Eric Warfel and I got a drop down with a bunch of names and one was Eric Warfel, Medina Ohio

Yeah she does not look healthy or "normal". Maybe it's just because she's so malnourished.

I agree she looks like she suffering, sad faced and tiny. I defer to your knowledge of FAS, as I don't know much about it.

I agree she looks like she suffering, sad faced and tiny. I defer to your knowledge of FAS, as I don't know much about it.
My nephew has it :( which is why she looks that way to me. Droopy eyes, smaller sized, flat short nose and eyes farther apart. My sister is a piece of shit, i know.

Back