• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

jkulik

I oppose the death penalty.

I do not oppose the death penalty because it is too severe a punishment.

I oppose the death penalty because it is not severe enough.

From my perspective, the death penalty is the easy way out.

I myself, given the choice between death or the prospect of spending the rest of my life locked in a cage, would have no problem choosing death.

For me, in such a situation, death would be the easy way out.

But my concept of a life sentence without the possibility of parole for capital offenses and truly horrible crimes does not entail all of the niceties and privileges that usually come with prison life.

I recently saw a True Crime video documentary that showed a condemned man who has been sitting on death row for ten years. He had a TV, a radio, and a typewriter in his cell on death row. He had books and magazines piled to the ceiling all around his cell. In fact, this guy has accrued so many personal belongings in ten years on death row that they gave him the cell next door to use as additional storage space for all his possessions. This is ridiculous.

A life sentence should mean an existence as close to permanent solitary confinement with no comforts as far as will withstand a court challenge for "cruel and unusual punishment". For me, this means solitary confinement with no mattress and no chair to sit on. The convict should be made to sleep on the concrete floor with no pillow. The convict would have no books, magazines, newspapers, or any other reading materials of any sort. He would have no writing materials. He certainly would have no TV, or radio, or computer. He should have only enough exercise time outside of his cell to be able to withstand a court challenge based upon "cruel and unusual punishment". Any necessary exercise time certainly would have no exercise equipment available. His food supply would be as close to bread and water only as would withstand a court challenge for "cruel and unusual punishment.

On a periodic basis, at least once time a year, he should be made to view the crime scene photos and video for the crimes that he committed that got him where he is. He should also be shown photos and videos of his victims with their family members that were taken before his crimes against his victims. This would be a constant reminder to him of the horrible crimes that he committed.

Some psychologists say that extended periods of solitary confinement can result in insanity.

I say: "Good".

Some might call this torture.

I call this justice.

Some people would say that it is more economical to execute a convict than to imprison him for life.

I say that you cannot put a price tag on justice.

The death penalty is the easy way out.

That's what I was thinking, Nell. 5' x 7' cell, no windows, a pile of straw on the floor to sleep on, a slops bucket in the corner, a caged, flickering light bulb in the center of the room, about 30W, only bright enough that a guard can peek in once a day (if they remember to/feel like it; twice a day on suicide watch). Hallway with vaulted ceilings so that the screams from the other inmates would echo back like a choir of the damned. The smell of damp bricks and the fluids of the last inmate that lived in that cell. A bucket of water to wash with once a month. A new set of garments once a year. Bread and water (supplemented by whatever rats and roaches and moths the inmate could catch for protein).

I think I'd choose to hang, too.

I do not oppose the death penalty because it is too severe a punishment.

I oppose the death penalty because it is not severe enough.

From my perspective, the death penalty is the easy way out.

I myself, given the choice between death or the prospect of spending the rest of my life locked in a cage, would have no problem choosing death.

For me, in such a situation, death would be the easy way out.

But my concept of a life sentence without the possibility of parole for capital offenses and truly horrible crimes does not entail all of the niceties and privileges that usually come with prison life.

I recently saw a True Crime video documentary that showed a condemned man who has been sitting on death row for ten years. He had a TV, a radio, and a typewriter in his cell on death row. He had books and magazines piled to the ceiling all around his cell. In fact, this guy has accrued so many personal belongings in ten years on death row that they gave him the cell next door to use as additional storage space for all his possessions. This is ridiculous.

A life sentence should mean an existence as close to permanent solitary confinement with no comforts as far as will withstand a court challenge for "cruel and unusual punishment". For me, this means solitary confinement with no mattress and no chair to sit on. The convict should be made to sleep on the concrete floor with no pillow. The convict would have no books, magazines, newspapers, or any other reading materials of any sort. He would have no writing materials. He certainly would have no TV, or radio, or computer. He should have only enough exercise time outside of his cell to be able to withstand a court challenge based upon "cruel and unusual punishment". Any necessary exercise time certainly would have no exercise equipment available. His food supply would be as close to bread and water only as would withstand a court challenge for "cruel and unusual punishment.

On a periodic basis, at least once time a year, he should be made to view the crime scene photos and video for the crimes that he committed that got him where he is. He should also be shown photos and videos of his victims with their family members that were taken before his crimes against his victims. This would be a constant reminder to him of the horrible crimes that he committed.

Some psychologists say that extended periods of solitary confinement can result in insanity.

I say: "Good".

Some might call this torture.

I call this justice.

Some people would say that it is more economical to execute a convict than to imprison him for life.

I say that you cannot put a price tag on justice.

The death penalty is the easy way out.

Feed them shit, that's what I say!

I agree with most of your post however, I am NOT opposed to the death penalty, I'm all for it ..

This why I have always said: Upon check in, Prisoners should be given a choice of a razor blade, shoe laces or a cyanide capsule. If they so choose. Not forced, just a choice.

I'm OK with the death penalty, or LWOP. But I am NOT OK with how pampered convicts are these days. I'm not saying it should be, as @Nell said, medieval, but dammit, all the privileges they get, from MY tax dollars is infuriating. I can't afford to finish up a degree, but these assholes get to go to university? Fuck that. Just fuck it.
My ex used his time to finish law school. He never passed the bar, but, he practiced a lot of what he learned by fileing bullshit papers to harass me. It was two fold on his part.
#1 it made me mad and had to take a day off work. And #2 he got to have a day trip away from the humdrum of prison life. The judge never granted him anything but he didn't care... One time he said see you next month before the judge shut him up.

The death penalty is bogus...it doesn't work:
  • Cost of death penalty > life sentence. Ergo, cheaper to keep imprisoned.
  • Doesn't work in adversarial systems. Too emotionally charged.
  • Human error. Sure, DNA doesn't lie - but people do. You can spin science.
  • Too myopic. Doesn't examine externalities/causation of crime.
Unless we completely restructure our notions of criminal law the death penalty is an unreasonable option. I fail to see how people can't see this. You're looking at north of $100m in appeals and all the fun shit associated with criminal proceedings.

Since 1978 California and the US government have together spent some $4bn on the state's death row, yet only 13 prisoners have been executed – an average of $308m for each one.

Crazy!

The death penalty is bogus...it doesn't work:
  • Cost of death penalty > life sentence. Ergo, cheaper to keep imprisoned.
  • Doesn't work in adversarial systems. Too emotionally charged.
  • Human error. Sure, DNA doesn't lie - but people do. You can spin science.
  • Too myopic. Doesn't examine externalities/causation of crime.
Unless we completely restructure our notions of criminal law the death penalty is an unreasonable option. I fail to see how people can't see this. You're looking at north of $100m in appeals and all the fun shit associated with criminal proceedings.

Crazy!

* Cost is meaningless if they're actually shot upon conviction (or a very brief appeals process, perhaps an hour or so, at most).

* It would work if it were actually enforced in large numbers.

* Someone may be innocent of the actual crime of which they are convicted, but such persons are, almost without exception, career criminals anyway.

* If the perpetrator is deceased, I have no interest in why he/she became a criminal, because one is not going to stop criminality from occurring...ever.

Really? You think your personal opinion of the death penalty is so important it warrants its own thread?

I am opposed to the death penalty across the board.
1. it's too expensive
2. innocent people have been executed
3. we have to be better than the felons we want to execute

I can't c&p on Chrome; if you want to check out death penalty costs and/or wrongful executions, just search "cost of death penalty" and "innocent people executed".

I grew up on a prison compound. All work on the grounds, prison and farm was done by the prisoners in heavy chains. Our playground was built by them, our roads were repaired, our grass was cut by them and they had no A/C (which I didn't know until later in life) so I don't know if that is much of a deterrent but count me out. There isn't anything in this world that I want enough to spend the rest of my life doing that.
Do not ever live on a farm. You will do all those things and then some.

The death penalty works...every prisoner executed will never commit another violent crime...everyone knows that more consideration is given to prisoners than to victims of crime and its consideration that is wasted. The death penalty needs an overhaul, needs to be more efficient...like a bullet to the head. And executions should be public...I bet they would draw a bigger crowd than Rockstars and football games, it could generate revenue...tickets, parking, dinner out.

* Cost is meaningless if they're actually shot upon conviction (or a very brief appeals process, perhaps an hour or so, at most).

* It would work if it were actually enforced in large numbers.

* Someone may be innocent of the actual crime of which they are convicted, but such persons are, almost without exception, career criminals anyway.

* If the perpetrator is deceased, I have no interest in why he/she became a criminal, because one is not going to stop criminality from occurring...ever.

Yeah, hence this bit:

Unless we completely restructure our notions of criminal law the death penalty is an unreasonable option.

OR - they can fight to the death in an arena.

You know, if I were independently wealthy, I'd totally live off the grid in some utopian hippy dippy farm thing.

If you lived off the grid on a farm in a prestige-free area, you wouldn't need to be wealthy. You'd need very little money, in fact. Million of what are known as the rural poor do it.

I am against the death penalty for many of the reasons mentioned. It is too costly, unfairly metered out based on race and performed entirely too seldom and steriley for it to have any use whatsoever.

I think they should stop making prisons simply places for criminals to "hang out," and bide their time and increase the use of isolation and bring back hard labor. Many people go to work every damn day and perform hard labor, so I can't see how that can be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

I have no problem providing criminals of all types with decent food, as well as basic medical needs, but under no circumstances should we be giving them hormone treatments to turn them into broads or transplanting their fucking livers, or doing anything more than pulling an aching tooth. I would even argue against anything greater than palliative treatment if that inmate is serving a life sentence; I can't see giving a fucking bone marrow transplant to a cancerous patient who is only going to die in prison anyway.

Now before anyone accuses me of being excessively mean to prisoners, let it also be know that I think many of the medical treatments that we provide to dying people in general should never be an option, and that is why our healthcare system is so fucked up.

Well, since I am not well versed in farming and what not, it's take a fair bit of equipment and training and doohickeys to get it operational and that shit is expensive.

Are you truly interested in this? If you are, there are a lot of online resources to get you started.

Cheap and efficient is the safest approach. I guess that's why we buy so much Chinese crap
But the gas van was invented in the Soviet Union in 1936.
Those cleaver little NKVD and the efficiency of disarming the Peasants for the Great Purge.
Think humans are dumb enough to repeat the past? Want to bet?
Still works great in China, or ask the Aussies how it feels to be at the mercy of violent offenders.

Well, to add to the farming bit (and my moral bankruptcy), I am a huge fan of putting prisoners to work. I don't recall the president, could have been Roosevelt, but the whole establishing national parks/building roads/infrastructure bit in American history seemed super useful.

I'd rather have a serial killer herniate, haemorrhage, and fortunately die in the middle of nowhere building roads than spend hundreds of millions of dollars on the public dime on death row for over 20+ years.

But my father is German and my mother's side is Russian. So...could be the authoritarianism and totalitarianism in me.

Well, to add to the farming bit (and my moral bankruptcy), I am a huge fan of putting prisoners to work. I don't recall the president, could have been Roosevelt, but the whole establishing national parks/building roads/infrastructure bit in American history seemed super useful.

I'd rather have a serial killer herniate, haemorrhage, and fortunately die in the middle of nowhere building roads than spend hundreds of millions of dollars on the public dime on death row for over 20+ years.

But my father is German and my mother's side is Russian. So...could be the authoritarianism and totalitarianism in me.

I can approve of this....in so far that these untermenschen are actually worked to death.

dyn007_original_420_284_jpeg_2674760_c68eba7da0d08fbda96d501f5c91ccb3.jpg

Back