• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
http://www.chron.com/news/article/Alligator-suspected-of-deadly-attack-shot-and-6369345.php

ORANGE - A customer at a marina here who only identified himself as "Bear," on Monday said he shot and killed an 11-foot alligator he believed was involved in Friday's deadly attack on an Orange man.

The man said he set a trap from his boat with chicken as bait and caught the 400-pound reptile before he killed it with a shotgun.
[....]
Game wardens cut open the animal Monday evening and found remains of Tommie Woodward's body in the animal's throat, said Precinct 4 Justice of the Peace, Rodney Price.

"Bear" and four other men were taking pictures of the alligator when game wardens arrived at Burkart's Marina in this town east of Beaumont and the men left in a boat.

The gator apparently was shot in the head and dragged from the water.
[....]
Capt. Rod Ousley, with the Beaumont district of the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife, said killing an alligator is a class C misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $500.

The men who say they shot the animal should have called the department and waited for a game warden, Ousley said.

"It sounds like somebody just took it upon themselves to kill the animal," Ousley said.

Ousley said the meat might have rotted by the time game wardens skin the animals, but the hide will be removed and sold, he said. The animal's death also will be recorded in a database.
[....]
Ousley said his team was investigating whether anyone alerted Texas Parks and Wildlife of the alligator's presence.

"We're still backtracking to make sure a nuisance control hunter was notified. So far in the investigation, the answer is no," Ousley said.

Capt. Robert Enmon with the Orange Police Department said Friday he suspects Woodward drowned, though his injuries were serious enough to have caused death. The cause of death is still pending.

Woodward suffered major trauma to his left arm and puncture wounds to his upper left chest, Enmon said.

Officers went out on a boat Friday at about 2:30 a.m. along with a game warden from Texas Parks and Wildlife. They found the man's body about 4:30 a.m.

That is just so fucking wrong. The alligator didn't do anything wrong.

I think it's fairly standard practice to kill wild animals that eat humans. Ya know, once they get that taste for our blood...

I used to live in Tallahassee, FL and there were plenty of gators around. People did not give a fuck. Like, there were signs that said WARNING ALLIGATORS and they still would be in the water, usually water skiing closer to the middle of the lake. Still, me being a Philly girl, I was all "FUCK THAT". Maybe this was a situation like that? I mean, maybe he had swam there before and it was fine, then bam, this one big ass gator comes to town and eats him.

I think it's fairly standard practice to kill wild animals that eat humans. Ya know, once they get that taste for our blood...

I used to live in Tallahassee, FL and there were plenty of gators around. People did not give a fuck. Like, there were signs that said WARNING ALLIGATORS and they still would be in the water, usually water skiing closer to the middle of the lake. Still, me being a Philly girl, I was all "FUCK THAT". Maybe this was a situation like that? I mean, maybe he had swam there before and it was fine, then bam, this one big ass gator comes to town and eats him.

I can totally see where you're coming from there. The thing is this happened in a bayou close to bar/restaurant.
Alligators are known to be opportunistic predators that usually only eat things smaller than themselves. A bayou is typically very murky marsh type water, somewhere where humans aren't prone to swimming in the first place. Given that it was next to a bar/restaurant I'm willing to bet there were loads of people throwing food into the water to get a gander at the wildlife/perhaps even the gators themselves, making this a superb hunting ground for an alligator. Being eleven feet long, there isn't much that gator couldn't have eaten. Other people obviously knew better considering they are in the midst of the gator's natural habitat. This guy was most likely heavily intoxicated and trying to show off.
Sure he got attacked, not because he was a yummy human, but because he was the best available prey at the time. If anything else would have been in that spot at that time, it would have gotten eaten.
Perhaps the gator would have developed a taste for human flesh, but since this happened in a bayou I would find it highly unlikely he would ever get such a tasty snack again. Alligators are also not prone to attacking on land, because they move significantly slower out of the water. They prefer to lie submerged in the water with only their eyes and nostrils exposed, blending into their habitat until something comes along worth eating. Crocodiles are much more aggressive predators, and I would be more concerned if one of those were involved.
It really breaks my heart that someone took it upon themselves to kill such a magnificent example of this species. These gators rarely reach that size in the wild now, because of all the hunting and poaching down here.
I feel bad for the guy, but I definitely feel worse for the gator. He was just hungry.

The first fatal attack by an alligator in nearly 200 years, and Darwin Award material (or maybe not, he has a twin). I feel sorry for the waitress who tried to warn him, she's clearly traumatized.

920x920_zps64qyxgsq.jpg

Photo: Facebook

Video here:
http://www.kfdm.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/kfdm_vid_17003.shtml

sources:
http://www.newser.com/story/209308/swimmer-scoffs-at-gators-gets-killed-by-one.html
http://tinyurl.com/pv6xpph

The sign said: "No Swimming: Alligator." The waitress said: "Please do not go swimming, there's a bigger alligator out here, just please stay out of the water." The swimmer said: "F--- the alligators." And that's how Texas recorded its first alligator death in about two centuries yesterday, reports the Houston Chronicle and KFDM. It happened in Orange County near Louisiana when 28-year-old Tommie Woodward ignored all the warnings and jumped into the water at Burkart's Marina. A gator emerged from under the dock and got him almost immediately, the first such death in Texas since 1836, reports Lomi Kriel at the Chronicle.

"He went under one time, then he hollered at her to get out of the water," recalls owner Allen Burkart, referring to a friend of Woodward's who also jumped in. "Then he pulled him down the second time and that was it." Burkart himself had put up the sign recently after spotting the 12-foot gator in the water. Woodward disregarded the sign and the pleas from the staff at a marina burger shop. "He said blank the alligators and thereupon jumped into the water," the Orange County Justice of the Peace tells KFDM.​
one less moron

A marina employee who knew Woodward told KFDM that he and his twin brother had recently moved to Texas.

This fucker has a TWIN? Good lord.

"Bear" could still be prosecuted for for killing it. There are procedures in place for problem alligators, and he didn't follow them.

@Mata Hari , alligators drown their prey before eating whatever they want to eat. They usually stick them somewhere and come back for a nibble as well. The alligator obviously ate part of him, being that it was in his digestive track.

@Mata Hari , alligators drown their prey before eating whatever they want to eat. They usually stick them somewhere and come back for a nibble as well. The alligator obviously ate part of him, being that it was in his digestive track.

Yeah, I know that home-slice.

I feel bad for the guy, but I definitely feel worse for the gator. He was just hungry.

I don't know why, but I really don't feel bad for this alligator. I felt much worse for the tiger in San Francisco that was killed.

Yeah, I know that home-slice.

I don't know why, but I really don't feel bad for this alligator. I felt much worse for the tiger in San Francisco that was killed.

You got me all confused. I don't know what you want from me. Angie obviously doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about.<3
200w_d.gif

You got me all confused. I don't know what you want from me. Angie obviously doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about.<3
200w_d.gif

Excuse me? The alligator ate a portion of his arm, but he died from drowning. The alligator was probably doing that death roll thing.

Excuse me? The alligator ate a portion of his arm, but he died from drowning. The alligator was probably doing that death roll thing.
I love how you just back pedaled and edited your previous contradictory statement.

Next time you try to call me out, try having a leg to stand on...or an arm for that matter.

I love how you just back pedaled and edited your previous contradictory statement.

Next time you try to call me out, try having a leg to stand on...or an arm for that matter.

Yeah I was totes wrong. I didn't go back and read my post until after I replied to you.
That was my bad. Sorry.

Latest posts

Back