• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
j58h1w.jpg
Dr.Farid Fata​

OAKLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. -
Farid Fata 1 A Michigan doctor is accused of deliberately misdiagnosing patients with cancer and other conditions in order to commit health care fraud.

According to the criminal complaint against 48-year-old Farid Fata, the oncologist would give cancer drugs to patients unnecessarily or in inappropriate dosages.

He was arrested Tuesday in the alleged $35 million Medicare fraud scheme.
Fata owns and operates Michigan Hematology Oncology Centers (MHO) which has offices in Clarkston, Bloomfield Hills, Lapeer, Sterling Heights, Troy and Oak Park.

Doctors and nurses who worked with Fata told federal agents Fata often gave patients doses of medication they didn't need at toxic levels, treated them in office settings as opposed to hospitals and had what is referred to as "interns" or foreign doctors treat a high number of patients.

A nurse also testified that there were cases where Fata would continue to treat patients who had gone into remission with a "maintenance dose" of chemotherapy.

Fata is also accused of prescribing Xanax to patients who were nervous about their treatment.

A medical assistant said Fata told her to falsify records and would delay scans for patients at other facilities so he could do them through his own center.

Federal agents raided Fata's Oakland Township home Tuesday morning -- along with several medial facilities he's associated with in the Rochester/Clarkston.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...home/-/1719418/21350230/-/8il2j8/-/index.html

Oakland Township oncologist faces charges in alleged $35 million Medicare fraud scheme
A doctor from Oakland Township has been arrested and charged for his alleged role in a $35 million Medicare fraud scheme, officials announced Tuesday.

Dr. Farid Fata, 48, is accused of submitting fraudulent claims to Medicare, as well as falsifying documents and directing others to do the same. In one instance, he is accused of forcing a patient who fell and hit his head to undergo chemotherapy before receiving medical treatment for the head injury. The patient later died from the head injury.

Fata owns and operates Michigan Hematology Oncology Centers (MHO), which billed Medicare for approximately $35 million over a two-year period, according to a release from the office of U.S. District Attorney Barbara McQuade.
[...]
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2013/08/06/news/local_news/doc520121416899e690241938.txt

This seems well beyond just committing medical fraud, this sounds like this guy had a god-complex and everything had to be done his way whether or not it was the correct way to do it. Something was definitely wrong with him beyond just being stupid.

What happens when you take chemo and don't need it? The universe will conspire to give this doctor a taste of his own evil ways, some people call it Karma and I for one wouldn't want to be him

My cousin's wife had chemo and radiation, she has been gone 2 years now, but I remember her being sick as hell after treatments.

The insurance fraud is bad but it seems like there should be pages upon pages of charges related to what these people suffered through, assault, battery, etc. And if any of his patients were young chances are very high that they are sterile now because of the treatments.

I can't imagine the emotional damage you'd have from being told you had cancer when you really didn't. I've had 2 cancer scares and both times I've been a complete wreck. I can't imagine being told you do have it only to find out you don't really. Sure it would suck to go through chemo and deal with the after affects, but I imagine it would be way worse to deal with the fact you might die and leave behind those you love.

Update: He pleaded guilty, and the people he defrauded are getting their day in court to look him in the eye and talk about what they suffered at his hands. This guy is utter scum, I hope he gets the whole 175 years! (More details on what patients suffered at the link.) Kudos to the employee/doctor that ratted him out.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/cance...emo-healthy-patients-faces-sentencing-n385161

A Michigan doctor who misdiagnosed patients with cancer and then bombarded them with unnecessary treatments will have to face his victims — who lost their health, savings and trust — when an emotional sentencing hearing opens this week.

Disabled auto worker Robert Sobieray is hoping to be front and center in the Detroit courtroom when Dr. Farid Fata learns his fate for using patients as cash cows, telling some of them they were deathly ill with diseases they didn't actually have.

In 2010, Fata diagnosed Sobieray with a rare blood cancer and subjected him to monthly infusions of chemotherapy and three weeks of radiation — expensive treatments that he said made his teeth fall out and his body twitch uncontrollably.

After Fata was arrested in 2013 and charged in what a prosecutor said was the "most egregious" case of health-care fraud in U.S. history, Sobieray went to a different oncologist and learned that he'd never even had cancer.

"I have so much hatred towards Fata. His name causes an instant headache," Sobieray, 62, told NBC News. "He gets my stomach turning. It is hard to explain…the things I want to do to that guy I couldn't say in public.

"I asked for a seat right up close at his sentencing," said Sobieray, who joined other ex-patients on a bus to the courthouse Monday morning. "I hope he gets life."

Federal prosecutors are seeking a 175-year sentence for Fata, who pleaded guilty to fraud in September, admitting he raked in millions from insurance companies for needless treatments at seven clinics in eastern Michigan.

Fata, who lived in a sprawling mansion in ritzy Oakland Township and ran seven upscale clinics across eastern Michigan, declined to comment through his attorneys. The sentencing memorandum drafted by his lawyers is under seal.

The hearing that will determine whether he spends the rest of his life in prison opens Monday in federal court in Detroit and will last at least four days, with a parade of victims set to testify against Fata, who turned a small one-doctor office into a lucrative medical empire in less than a decade.

A doctor who worked for Fata and gave information about him to the feds said justice for the victims will come not only in the form of a long prison sentence but through change to prevent a repeat of "this type of horrific torture and fraud."

"We need to uncover and correct the fundamental reasons behind the collective failure of our medical system at all levels which enabled this despicable fraud [to continue] for such a long time," said the doctor, Soe Maunglay.

The breadth of Fata's misdeeds was laid bare last month in a sentencing memo from prosecutors, who revealed for the first time that a total of 553 people allegedly got unnecessary treatment — amounting to 9,000 injections or infusions that cost insurance companies and patients millions.

While Fata told healthy patients they were sick, he sold false hope to the terminally ill in an effort to convince them to keep buying treatments that would not extend their lives, authorities charged.

The government says that Fata didn't just lie to his patients — he bullied them to keep them from finding out the truth.

"Fata employed a number of tactics to maintain control over his patients and their care, including controlling access to patients' files and remaining on call even when other doctors were rounding on his hospitalized patients," prosecutors wrote.

"I need my money!" Fata wrote in one email about a patient with a $51,000 outstanding balance.

In requesting a 175-year sentence, prosecutors compared Fata to Ponzi schemer Bernard Madoff, who was sentenced to 150 years even though he was in his 70s.

"In many ways, he is worse than Madoff, in that he wreaked damage on not only his victims' bank accounts, but their bodies," they wrote.

Sobieray said he wants to make sure Fata never gets out of prison, but he knows the sentencing won't be the end of his personal nightmare.

"I don't know if I'll ever have closure because every day I wake up I don't know what's going to happen to me," he said. "I feel something that he's done to me every day.

"I hope it never happens again to anybody and everybody questions what their doctors are doing," he added. "I don't know if I can trust a doctor again."​

Why is he not facing assault charges or some sort of bodily injury related offense? He did more than merely rip off insurance companies, which is essentially all he's being hammered with. Be nice if the gov't gave a shit about the physical damage he inflicted.

Why is he not facing assault charges or some sort of bodily injury related offense?
I think because they need to choose the battle. These are all federal charges. He will never get out of federal prison. The suffering of the patients came out in the charges and trial. So rather than prolong the trial and expenses, they get him where the punishment is already severe and the evidence of the financial fraud easy to prove.
I do hope he is in a harsh prison, shivering on cement, looking apprehensively over his shoulder. Not in some medium security or "golf course" prison.

I think because they need to choose the battle. These are all federal charges. He will never get out of federal prison. The suffering of the patients came out in the charges and trial. So rather than prolong the trial and expenses, they get him where the punishment is already severe and the evidence of the financial fraud easy to prove.
I do hope he is in a harsh prison, shivering on cement, looking apprehensively over his shoulder. Not in some medium security or "golf course" prison.

Makes sense. I'd hope they keep it in the back pocket though in case he appeals and wins out on the fraud beefs. No reason this dude should ever see freedom again, ever.

Monster....Cancer is so fucking horrible, and chemo and radiation is worse. its not just the hair loss or the nausea either...its injections to the stomach for side effects, and thrush and losing your fingernail and toenails too. And the tingling in your fingertips that makes the simplest tasks impossible. sore feet and shooting pains and always feeling cold....and pain killers. My best friend has cancer AGAIN...this is round two for her, And I don't even consider myself lucky to be just a spectator...its so hard to watch someone you love go through it. What a no good piece of shit...Cancer and this guy.

Remember that post I made about oncologists being some of the dirtiest docs on the planet?

This happens more than people realize.

You know, we read about a lot of utter scumbags on here. A lot. But something about this guy really gets me. This wasn't a carnal drive, a moment of blind anger, or even sheer stupidity. He knew what he was doing and he perpetuated misery on those poor innocent people. Had this been a loved one of mine, I'd like to rip this guy's f-ing head off.

Monster....Cancer is so fucking horrible, and chemo and radiation is worse. its not just the hair loss or the nausea either...its injections to the stomach for side effects, and thrush and losing your fingernail and toenails too. And the tingling in your fingertips that makes the simplest tasks impossible. sore feet and shooting pains and always feeling cold....and pain killers. My best friend has cancer AGAIN...this is round two for her, And I don't even consider myself lucky to be just a spectator...its so hard to watch someone you love go through it. What a no good piece of shit...Cancer and this guy.
Wow. I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine. I guess that's the point I tried to make in my previous post. To literally TORTURE another being, physically and emotionally, and not just them, but everyone who cares about them - not out of necessity in an effort to help save - but out of pure greed. A new level of depravity.

Last edited:
A metro Detroit cancer doctor who made nearly $20 million off hundreds of patients suffering from unneeded chemotherapy and other stunningly bad treatments was sentenced today to 45 years in federal prison.

"This is a huge, horrific series of criminal acts that were committed by the defendant," U.S. District Judge Paul Borman said, later adding that Dr. Farid Fata "practiced greed and shut down whatever compassion he had."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...015/07/10/fata-sentence-handed-down/29952245/

45 years...GOOD! How are ya gonna spend that $20 million now, asshole? Enjoy thinking about everything you're missing, you little cunt - I hope you see the faces of your victims every time.

Last edited:
He'll leave in a pine box. Full sentences are served in federal. Deserves every minute of it too.

This man is pure evil. Although I believe his apologies were sincere...it only came to pass because he got caught. He found out a way to rip off America and get rich quick. I feel for every one of his victims. I am a cancer survivor. I had a great onocologist in Ann Arbor, MI.

His wife and children are victims in this as well. They probably fled the country out of fear of retribution/revenge. He has brought shame upon his family and country of Lebanon as well. I hope he suffers a long lonelly miserable existence in prison.

Back