• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Forensicwx

Final Roll Call 4153. STLCO 10-42 10/13 @ 1519
Maine — A young man who was drinking and celebrating the Fourth of July tried to launch a firework off the top of his head, fatally injuring himself, authorities said Sunday.

Devon Staples and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in the backyard of a friend's home in the small eastern Maine city of Calais, said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety. Staples, 22, of Calais, placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, he said.

The firework exploded, killing Staples instantly, McCausland said.

His death is the first fireworks fatality in Maine since the state legalized fireworks on Jan. 1, 2012, authorities said.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-shoots-firework-top-his-head-dies-n386956

The firework exploded, killing Staples instantly, McCausland said.

Oh, that's gruesome. At least he died quickly.

When I think of the foolish things I did with fireworks when I was a kid, I can't help but feel for the people who die from stupid fireworks tricks.

There's a video out there somewhere with a guy who shoots a bottle rocket out of his ass. It's actually pretty comical.

This is insane. Had he ever used a mortar tube before?!

We had an incident last night, one fell over midway through a 6 burst display, and started shooting across the yard, the deck, into the pool... We scattered like roaches lol and everyone ran into the patio where we wouldn't get hit by all the sparks.

Afterwards it was hilarious... but for a few seconds there it was like a war zone (for a schmuck like me anyway). How could you just totally disrespect the power of these explosives?

My friends had a gigantic fireworks display last night and for the most part it went off without a hitch, except for two incidents. A 15 year old boy burned all the hair off his face and arm, granted that wasn't much, and a woman wanted to hold one of those that shoots sparklers into the air, the little kids had been doing it, but for her, of course,the thing backfired and burned her arm from her elbow to shoulder, not hospital bad, but bad enough to hurt like hell and blister up. But other than that we had a ball!

LIke they always say, It's all fun and games till someone shoots their eye out! Or something like that.

How could you just totally disrespect the power of these explosives?

Two strong possibilities: "A young man who was drinking and celebrating. . ."

It's the same profile that shows up most frequently in ERs with rattlesnake bites. :whistle:

Oh no, it's true, we are devolving. :(

Considering the whole of our country sets aside one day a year to get drunk and blow shit up, I'm actually rather surprised there aren't more fatalities. Especially since a good portion of those people are more than a few sparklers short of a pack. In all seriousness though, I feel really bad for him and his poor family and friends. I guess at least he went out having fun. What a strange way to go though.

Ahhh, good old 'MERICA! :cool:

A friend of mine said that most people from Maine end up in Florida.
But evidently not this one.

There will be a video of this floating around ...
.... and I wanna see it :shrug: is that bad?

... I'm sorry ... but he's a fuckin nimrod... well he was a nimrod :D

There will be a video of this floating around ...
.... and I wanna see it is that bad?
No, because I'd watch it with you.

When I read what his brother said about running over to him after the fireworks went off I laughed, at loud here at work. The guys are convinced I'm one sick puppy now after seeing me laugh at a guy getting blow apart by a firework.

Forty-one-year-old James Drake, 41, Marion, was killed Saturday night after suffering extensive trauma to the face in a fireworks accident. He had been checking on a shell that hadn’t gone off when expected.

It happened around 10:40 p.m. at at a parking lot in the 3200 block of South Washington Street.

“I think he approached one and it went off and struck him in the face,” said Grant County Coroner Chris Butche.

Drake was rushed to Marion General Hospital and died about an hour later. Butche ruled the cause of death accidental due to blunt force trauma to the face.

That's one lesson I tried to teach my son. If something doesn't go off, ffs, don't look in the barrel. I still haven't gotten over that young man (old enough to know better) who looked down the barrel of a potato shooter these kids were trying to shoot a frog out of and it hadn't gone off. He was blinded when it went off and that frog was pretty much embedded in his face.

Actually, he was Gaston at Disney World.

No one's slick as Gaston,
No one's quick as Gaston,
No one turns his head into pink mist like Gaston!
For there's no man in town half as manly!
Perfect, a pure paragon!
You can ask any Tom, Dick or Stanley
And they'll tell you who's brains they prefer to SLIP on!

:woot:

The quote from his brother seems maybe Devon didn't actually intend to set it off, maybe that's just his wishful thinking its a pretty horrible accident to witness let alone your own brother

“I was the first one who got there. There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there,” his brother told the Daily News. “It was a freak accident. … But Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/maine-man-dies-launching-firework-top-head

Instead of accepting her snowflake lit some fireworks on his head because he was a drunken idiot, his mom wants no blame the laws
Good Lord. She wants training and licensing to use fireworks.

Maybe she should have taught her son the following tidbit: DON"T LIGHT FIREWORKS ON YOUR HEAD EVER!

Look I made up the #1 question on the licensing exam: Should you ever light a firework on your head? If you answer "Yes" not only can you not use fireworks, you also can't breed.

Good Lord. She wants training and licensing to use fireworks.

Maybe she should have taught her son the following tidbit: DON"T LIGHT FIREWORKS ON YOUR HEAD EVER!

Look I made up the #1 question on the licensing exam: Should you ever light a firework on your head? If you answer "Yes" not only can you not use fireworks, you also can't breed.
She is probably the reason he never picked up common sense.

Turns out shooting fireworks off your chest isn't such a great idea either. . . :facepalm:

Another Man Dies After Shooting Firework Off Body
http://www.newser.com/story/209502/another-man-dies-after-shooting-firework-off-body.html

Another man is dead after reportedly shooting a firework off his own body, this time in Texas. Postal worker Justin Bartek, 30, was setting off fireworks with friends along the Colorado River in Columbus early yesterday when he put a Medieval Knight, a large, tube-shaped firework, on his chest and set it off, witnesses tell ABC 13. He was rushed to Columbus Community Hospital with critical injuries and later died, reports KPRC. "He just had an infectious spirit, whenever you met him you met a friend," says a woman who set up a GoFundMe account to support Bartek's partner and 3-year-old son. "He was the light of many people's lives and the world to the people that knew him, and he would give the world to any that asked."

His death is just the latest involving fireworks in recent days: 22-year-old Devon Staples was killed instantly in Maine after shooting a firework off of his head on July 4. Fox 59 reports James Drake, 41, died in Marion, Indiana, on the same day of blunt force trauma to the face after he went to check on an unexploded shell. "I think he approached one and it went off and struck him in the face," a coroner says. A day later, 44-year-old Jose Magallanes was found dead in northern Indiana after suffering blunt force trauma to the head. His body showed explosion-related injuries from a fireworks accident, police say. The Consumer Product Safety Commission recorded nine fireworks-related deaths between June 20 and July 20 of last year and noted that among those injured, males age 25-44 made up the biggest group.​

My older brother was teasing me once, shoved me off my bike, rode it down the driveway...gave it back to me after shoving cherry bombs in the handlebars...a little kid can't steer when there are explosives going off in the handlebars....nope! Fucking jerk!

Back