• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
Residents in a "sewer blockage hotspot" in Powys are to be given advice on improving their flushing habits.

Waste water teams from Severn Trent Water will be visiting Welshpool to speak to people about what they should and should not flush down the toilet.

The company said since 2011 it had dealt with 143 blockages in the Oldford Rise, Oldford Close and Berriew Road areas.

A majority of the blockages were caused by sanitary products becoming stuck.

So-called "flushable" wipes were another major cause of blockages, the company said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-33225543

Do they really truly and sincerely believe that re-education of flushing habits will change anything? More than likely not, cause the kind of folks that flush unflushables won't stop doing it because it's too hard to change a habit and they gonna cry that they're being bullied by the sanitation department and they can't prove it anyway!

A couple of years ago, when we first moved into our house, our septic tank became clogged. Got the landlord over here and we all started digging. Popped the lid and holy hell..... he started freaking out on us about flushing condoms, tampons, pads, diapers (yes, diapers).... DUDE we don't use ANY of that stuff! It was the previous tenant. They flushed everything!! Paper towels, Lysol wipes, newborn diapers, anything and everything went down that toilet. Thankfully we were able to convince him we would never do that and that nasty clog had been brewing for a while before we got here. People are stupid. That's what I'm getting at. They're just dumb, and no amount of education on the workings of the sewer system is going to change that.

A couple of years ago, when we first moved into our house, our septic tank became clogged. Got the landlord over here and we all started digging. Popped the lid and holy hell..... he started freaking out on us about flushing condoms, tampons, pads, diapers (yes, diapers).... DUDE we don't use ANY of that stuff! It was the previous tenant. They flushed everything!! Paper towels, Lysol wipes, newborn diapers, anything and everything went down that toilet. Thankfully we were able to convince him we would never do that and that nasty clog had been brewing for a while before we got here. People are stupid. That's what I'm getting at. They're just dumb, and no amount of education on the workings of the sewer system is going to change that.

That is particularly stupid when one has a septic tank. Where did they think it was all going to go?

I really don't know what they were thinking. Ya, it's really stupid. The tank can only hold so much... and the pipes are small, considering what they're supposed to be used for. Again, people are dumb lol

Last edited:
What really grossed us out was learning the previous tenants own a local restaurant up here. I don't know... it's a great place and I eat there a lot. I just always think about the cleanliness factor.... ya know?

I read about a guy who was so cheap that he only flushed his toilet once a week, no matter what was in it (a shit ton of poop).

That goes against the golden rule of toilet flushing: If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down!

Last edited:
Not flushing doesn't save any money if you're on city sewer service. They know that what comes in must also go out and charge you appropriately.

That is particularly stupid when one has a septic tank. Where did they think it was all going to go?

It wasn't their problem. They were renters.

[Not bashing all renters, but ownership does curb destructive behavior when the hand that destroys has to hand cash to contractors to fix that shit up again.]

Are you saying I shouldn't flush these. I do all the time. Seriously, should I stop? That seems so gross if I have to stop flushing these......

Are you saying I shouldn't flush these. I do all the time. Seriously, should I stop? That seems so gross if I have to stop flushing these......

I can understand you wanting to flush tampons, - after all many brands actually say they are flushable; but it would be better for your drains to bin them instead.

Condoms? They are made out of latex rubber. They are not going to biodegrade anywhere in the sewage system. Bin those suckers.

I read about a guy who was so cheap that he only flushed his toilet once a week, no matter what was in it (a shit ton of poop).
That goes against the golden rule of toilet flushing: If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down!

I bet that guy you're referring to had his own saying... *If its yellow let it mellow, If its brown, make em frown*.

Eeewwwww!!!!

Just use those plastic bags that are for soiled diapers, because you probably should wrap them in something and change the trash frequently on those days. This began when I started having periods a million years ago. Believe me, you will be way more grossed out after a plumber has had to fish them out of the sewer line.

Just use those plastic bags that are for soiled diapers, because you probably should wrap them in something and change the trash frequently on those days. This began when I started having periods a million years ago. Believe me, you will be way more grossed out after a plumber has had to fish them out of the sewer line.
Okay, seriously, reading that just made me puke in my mouth. There's no way I'm gonna be able to stop myself from dropping the thing after pulling it. I feel bad for the plumber already, but I suppose he should be used to it by now. And I ain't gonna be watching him.....shit, I may just leave home while he works. No embarrassment there. Thanks for the advice tho. I dont flush my liners tho. They get wrapped and binned. So it should be aight . . .lol

When I was living in a 5th wheel (super tiny septic before it can even go out to the property's septic) I kept those dog shit bags they give out at the park for that sort of stuff under the bathroom sink then put them in their own second bag also under the sink. The dog poop bags hold in any scent and I'd post a little note when guests would come over.

Back