• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Momzilla

Badass/PTA Mom
2yo is taken away from his parents & put up for adoption after health visitor complained about the amount of cigarette smoke in his home
0_CD35220000005_DC_3105688_image_a_17_143315488606.jpg

A two-year-old boy has been removed from his parents because his home was so full of smoke that it made it hard for him to breathe.

The toddler is set to be adopted after a health visitor raised concerns that he was being brought up in an unhealthy environment.
[...]
Judge Louise Pemberton ruled that the child - who cannot be identified - should be adopted after a family court hearing [...]
In her ruling, the judge described how the two-year-old required an inhaler because of the smoke in his house.

'On entering the living room Ms Allen described being able to see a visible cloud of smoke surrounding the father and [the boy],' said the judge.

'He was asleep on the sofa and had been unwell for some time by this point. Ms Allen described the room as "so smoke-entrenched that I had difficulty breathing".
[...]
'The parents seemed unable both at that stage and when the issue of smoking around [the boy] was raised by any other professional, to acknowledge or appreciate the concern and adapt their behaviour.'
[...] 'Ms Allen... had not come across such a smoky house in many years and never with such a poorly boy sleeping amidst the smoke.'

Nurse Emma Green reported that the boy's home 'often smelt very strongly of smoke', and was 'cluttered' with rubbish including empty cigarette packets.

Social worker Sarah Tomblin had said the little boy's toys and clothes 'smelt heavily of smoke'.

The judge was told that the boy's father had mental health problems, his parents had failed to engage with the authorities and their home was 'dirty, smelly and unhygienic'.

The father had tested positive for cocaine, while social workers saw what could have been drug paraphernalia at the house.

Judge Pemberton said: 'I am afraid that all of these matters lead me to an unavoidable and difficult conclusion that the risks to [the boy] in being placed with his parents are far too high.
[...]
'Adoption really is the only option now available to [the boy], in my view, nothing else will do.'

She added: 'I want him to know that in my judgment his parents loved him very much and tried very hard but they were simply not able to meet his needs.'

The couple had opposed the local council's application to have their son adopted, and insisted 'we did not smoke in the house' - but the judge said she found this evidence 'hard to accept'.

She said the boy's father had accepted that there was 'thick smoke at the property'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ents-house-cigarette-smoke.html#ixzz3bp0N7jhb

I'm glad the judge ruled the way that he did-
I can't imagine this poor little boy, struggling to breathe & even requiring an inhaler- all because his dumbass parents refused to stop smoking around him! Hopefully this little guy will recover now that he's out of that house & will be adopted by a family who will put his needs first!

I'm a smoker, have been for over 25 years now. Anyway, that being said I'm not stupid enough to have my children in my haze of second-hand smoke. It's a pretty simple idea, I chose to smoke because I'm apparently a fucking retard, it doesn't mean that they need to smoke too.

That said, it certainly sounds like there is more to the removal than just smoking. The house was filthy, there were drugs and paraphernalia, Dad is crazy and tests positive for coke. Mental health issues and uppers make a really bad combination.

That said, it certainly sounds like there is more to the removal than just smoking. The house was filthy, there were drugs and paraphernalia, Dad is crazy and tests positive for coke. Mental health issues and uppers make a really bad combination.

Word! The news head-lines all give the impression that this child is being adopted solely because the parents smoke around him. Talk about misleading!

I'm a smoker, have been for over 25 years now. Anyway, that being said I'm not stupid enough to have my children in my haze of second-hand smoke. It's a pretty simple idea, I chose to smoke because I'm apparently a fucking retard, it doesn't mean that they need to smoke too.

Same here, however - I NEVER smoke in the house, or in the car if she's with me.

Also, I am planning on quitting for her birthday this year. This fucking amputee commercials are freaking her (and me) out!

I knew a lady once who smoked in her house with all her kids, and didn't give a shit. I still sat on the porch, even when it was freezing, just felt wrong.

Good on you, Mata Hari. I remember someone I talked to frequently at another company told me that when he was a kid his parents would totally smoke him out in the car. He would get under a blanket or whatever he had to try and escape the smoke. I thought that was so sad.

I applaud this judge for the difficult decision he made and even more so for adding that he wanted to make sure the boy knew his parents loved him very much. That will mean so much to the boy some day

I had had to quit smoking when I was pregnant. I don't know why I started back up. But smoking gave me such bad heartburn I really had to stop. Anyways after she was born I was so ocd about her being around even the smell. i had a special sweater I used just to smoke in. So when I came in I took off the sweater and washed my hands and brushed my teeth. To this day I still will not touch my kid with the smoke smell on me. I feel bad when she complains about smelling it on my breath. I have always smoked outside and even still I feel bad when she can smell smoke. Sometimes I just have to tell her to get away from me. Lol. I was there first. Lol. My yard is plenty big enough we can both be outside without her being up my butt....so anyways. Just sharing. :smug:

Same here, however - I NEVER smoke in the house, or in the car if she's with me.

Also, I am planning on quitting for her birthday this year. This fucking amputee commercials are freaking her (and me) out!

I knew a lady once who smoked in her house with all her kids, and didn't give a shit. I still sat on the porch, even when it was freezing, just felt wrong.
Agree. I'm a smoker who is trying to quit because i'm pregnant. That being said i don't smoke in the same room ( my room being the designated spot) or in the car with my child. And just by doing those things there is a huge difference between my daughter's health and mine as a child. My mother was a heavy smoker EVERYWHERE.

When I used to visit my former Father-In-Law near Niagara Falls, NY in the winter, I wouldn't smoke in his home no matter how ass-biting cold it was outside. He told me I could, but I never did because of his respiratory problems & the fact that I'd always had the greatest respect for him.

I had had to quit smoking when I was pregnant. I don't know why I started back up. But smoking gave me such bad heartburn I really had to stop. Anyways after she was born I was so ocd about her being around even the smell. i had a special sweater I used just to smoke in. So when I came in I took off the sweater and washed my hands and brushed my teeth. To this day I still will not touch my kid with the smoke smell on me. I feel bad when she complains about smelling it on my breath. I have always smoked outside and even still I feel bad when she can smell smoke. Sometimes I just have to tell her to get away from me. Lol. I was there first. Lol. My yard is plenty big enough we can both be outside without her being up my butt....so anyways. Just sharing. :smug:

Me too...I have a smoking sweater. My parents used to hot box me and my brothers every summer on the back and forth drive to our cottage...He would take as much as he could take and then the windows went up and he would light a fat joint that I know he rolled for that moment. And we would the fuck up and chill. ....every one is chill. But this isn't like that...that's too bad.

Me too...I have a smoking sweater. My parents used to hot box me and my brothers every summer on the back and forth drive to our cottage...He would take as much as he could take and then the windows went up and he would light a fat joint that I know he rolled for that moment. And we would the fuck up and chill. ....every one is chill. But this isn't like that...that's too bad.
:confused:

Yes its true...I have a smoking sweater for smoking out side.

Yes its also true that my dad used to get fed up driving seven hours with four kids in the car and would hot box us....My dad is a farmer, so weed, and cash crops and spring and fall are busy so it makes sense to vacation in the summer and winter...because Canada

And yeah...its true this kids has got it rough....why is your face blue?

Back