• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Nell

Unending melancholy
Bold Member!
A North Carolina teacher is drawing both praise and criticism for the way he handled a bullying situation with one of his students.

Omar Currie, 25, teaches third grade at Efland-Cheeks Elementary School in Efland, North Carolina. Three weeks ago, Currie overheard some of his students calling one of their male classmates "gay" and "a woman." Instead of sending the bullies to the principal's office, Currie took a different approach: He read his class King & King, a children's fable by Linda de Haan and Stern Nijland that features a same-sex romance.

"There was a group of boys that had been referring to the child as a girl or a woman, saying ‘OK, woman,' or 'OK, girl,’" Currie told HuffPost. He stepped in and addressed the issue, he said, but then it happened again. "This particular child who was being bullied was very, very upset."

"One student said that it made them uncomfortable, saying, ‘Well, I’ve never seen two men marry each other,’" Currie told HuffPost. "I said: 'Well, it’s normal to feel uncomfortable when you see something new, but what is the moral? The moral is to treat people well, no matter who they are.'"

Currie's decision was not without controversy. At least three parents filed formal complaints against the teacher, leading to a meeting at the school last Friday to determine whether the book would be banned.

I think he handled this very well. It makes more sense to show why its hurtful to call names, then to just send the kid to the principal for punishment. But of course we have this chick...

"[You're] infiltrating young minds, indoctrinating children into a gay agenda and actively promoting homosexuality to steer our children in that direction," parent Lisa Baptist said at Friday's meeting,

Thoughts?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7306388?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Because parents are going to complain either way, no matter what, is exactly why my kids will be taught to punch the fuck out of anyone who dares to bully them:shrug:

" Lisa Baptist" ... ROTFL! You guys know I'm not baggin' on anyone's faith group as a whole, but you have GOT to be kidding me! :hilarious::hilarious:

I understand that some parents don't want their children exposed to the lifestyle, but there also needs to be a line of respect. We share romantic books between individuals of the same sex constantly to children. If the roles are switched there is NOTHING that changes when we disregard religion and sex. What if gay people said two people of the opposite sex made them uncomfortable? Heck, my teacher would've probably told them to walk out of the room if it bothers them so much or acknowledge that some people love different sexes/genders and get over it.

Is it really fair for a parent to say that since their child was exposed to something new that they should ban it because they felt uncomfortable when it's just a book? If you're against homosexuality fine, but shouldn't you at least respect that other individuals might be going through a very uncomfortable time with their sexuality? Shouldn't they be able to receive support? It's a book to encourage them and make them feel better, your child's discomfort should be handled personally. They have several options if it makes them uncomfortable.

I have a little cousin who was uncomfortable when I explained to her I was dating a man. We explained, and she got over it after awhile. She acknowledged other people were different and that's just the way it is. It's not harming her, it doesn't involve her, she can love whoever she wants.

Why can't we teach our children the same? People are free to have their opinions, but respect needs to be given to everyone regardless of what race, religion, or gender they choose to love.

I'm sick of parents claiming that their children don't need to be exposed or are too young. Why so? Is it different from the stories of love you've been sharing with them? I don't think so. Is it an extremely mature issue that's hard to explain? No, it's not. Some boys like boys, some girls like girls. Either accept it or don't, but respect it.

I hope they don't ban the book.

I understand that some parents don't want their children exposed to the lifestyle, but there also needs to be a line of respect. We share romantic books between individuals of the same sex constantly to children. If the roles are switched there is NOTHING that changes when we disregard religion and sex. What if gay people said two people of the opposite sex made them uncomfortable? Heck, my teacher would've probably told them to walk out of the room if it bothers them so much or acknowledge that some people love different sexes/genders and get over it.

Is it really fair for a parent to say that since their child was exposed to something new that they should ban it because they felt uncomfortable when it's just a book? If you're against homosexuality fine, but shouldn't you at least respect that other individuals might be going through a very uncomfortable time with their sexuality? Shouldn't they be able to receive support? It's a book to encourage them and make them feel better, your child's discomfort should be handled personally. They have several options if it makes them uncomfortable.

I have a little cousin who was uncomfortable when I explained to her I was dating a man. We explained, and she got over it after awhile. She acknowledged other people were different and that's just the way it is. It's not harming her, it doesn't involve her, she can love whoever she wants.

Why can't we teach our children the same? People are free to have their opinions, but respect needs to be given to everyone regardless of what race, religion, or gender they choose to love.

I'm sick of parents claiming that their children don't need to be exposed or are too young. Why so? Is it different from the stories of love you've been sharing with them? I don't think so. Is it an extremely mature issue that's hard to explain? No, it's not. Some boys like boys, some girls like girls. Either accept it or don't, but respect it.

I hope they don't ban the book.

Hey, cutie pie. Good to "see" you. :) I agree with your post about hoping they don't ban the book, and, I agree with your post in my ideal world. I never want you to lose that idealism or let life jeopardize it because it's a good and beautiful thing, IMO. But, we have to also remember that we have to tread very carefully when trying to change the fundamental POVs at play in our society and we can't force anyone to accept anything.

Though I personally love what this teacher did and would've had no problem with this book being read to my kids, I have friends, both religious and non-religious, who would've hit the roof if this had happened in their kids' 3rd grade classroom (probably in their 10th grade class, too). IMO, parents have the right to introduce the topic of sexuality to their kids when *they* see fit, and though I'm not one of them, they also have the right to preach 'heterosexuality only' if they so choose. I can see where some parents would feel their right to introduce these subjects to their own kids on their own parenting schedules based on their own beliefs had been infringed upon.

Slowly, but surely, we're becoming a more educated, tolerant society, but we're still not there yet when it comes to tackling faith backgrounds and systems of belief that are exclusive of other sexual orientations/preferences. JMO, and great post. :)

Last edited:
Hey, cutie pie. Good to "see" you. :) I agree with your post about hoping they don't ban the book, and, I agree with your post in my ideal world. I never want you to lose that idealism or let life jeopardize it because it's a good and beautiful thing, IMO. But, we have to also remember that we have to tread very carefully when trying to change the fundamental POVs at play in our society and we can't force anyone to accept anything.

Though I personally love what this teacher did and would've had no problem with this book being read to my kids, I have friends, both religious and non-religious, who would've hit the roof if this had happened in their kids' 3rd grade classroom (probably in their 10th grade class, too). IMO, parents have the right to introduce the topic of sexuality to their kids when *they* see fit, and though I'm not one of them, they also have the right to preach 'heterosexuality only' if they so choose. I can see where some parents would feel their right to introduce these subjects to their own kids on their own parenting schedules based on their own beliefs had been infringed upon.

Slowly, but surely, we're becoming a more educated, tolerant society, but we're still not there yet when it comes to tackling faith backgrounds and systems of belief that are inclusive to other sexual orientations/preferences. JMO, and great post. :)

It's been awhile since we talked. I completely agree. I think people have the right to accept what they want, but I think respect and acknowledgment to certain things should be given always. It's happening slowly fortunately.

I can see where some parents would feel their right to introduce these subjects to their own kids on their own parenting schedules based on their own beliefs had been infringed upon.

Evidently it was one of those little snowflakes who introduced the subject to the class, through bullying, and not the teacher.

I have kids this age and older, while I hadn't had the official "talk" with them at that age, I had explained that not everyone was like Mom and (step)Dad, some have two Moms or two Dads. They have a "cousin" (no relation just very close family friend) who has 2 Moms. For us an explanation was just a part of life, it was no big deal.

Here's a thought, if you don't want your child "indoctrinated" (God, my IQ dropped 40 points typing that), then talk to your kids first, don't leave it up to the school because I guarantee you that one or two parents have and their kids are talking to yours. That way things are explained the way you, as a family, are comfortable with.

Bravo great job Teach. If their parents don't teach them to respect people from all walks of life then I am glad the teacher did.

I think the teacher made a fantastic decision when choosing to read this book to the class. It was a creative way to handle bullying, and it expanded the little monsters', uh, I mean angels, minds a bit. Kids need to know that no matter how narrow their parents' minds may be, they will have to live in a world with people who are different from them, and that the world is all the better for it.

P.S. I'm from the deep South, and geography is not an excuse to be an ignorant, narrow minded, bigoted moron.

I feel uncomfortable with the idea that there are people who would be so ignorant as to call a children's fable an infiltration of young minds by the "gay agenda." Should we ban this asshat from having any say in how our schools are run? Hmmm...

Also, seriously, what IS the "gay agenda" here? Teach kids to respect each other and not throw around hurtful words that they might not even understand the meaning of? So that's something to be feared, huh? What is this world coming to?

Touchy subject indeed
Let me play devils advocate for a moment.
I don't know if the teacher acted appropriately, I wasn't there and I don't know the situation. I think he had the best interest of the children at heart, no doubt.
However let's not ignore the core issue here which is bullying.
What are parents teaching children? I know these kids are young but when my kids started day care they knew better than to make fun of people or bully them. I would have kicked my kids ass for it.
Parents need to be held accountable criminally and civilly for bullying.
Had it been my kid that was being bullied, I would have taken my kid to the bullies house and kicked his moms ass for not teaching her kids better.
I for one am sick and damn tired of reading about bullying and kids dying over this garbage either at the hands of the bully or at their own hand.

You'd kick someone's ass in front of your child to prove the point bullying is bad?

No-one cares that I don't want kids to be indoctrinated with the homophobic agenda!

I won't make all the comments I would like to about brain-washing children into following a particular religion being just as bad as the idea that somehow people are trying to "turn their kids gay", or; lord forbid - teach them that some people are gay and don't deserve to be tormented just because you don't like them.

Edited for dumbass typo.

Parents need to be held accountable criminally and civilly for bullying.

Really? You want it to be an actual, legitimate crime if your kid makes fun of another kid? Children are miniature dickweeds, and almost all of them will make fun of another kid in their lifetime. Bullying is a real problem, but absolutely not a criminal one (until it becomes physical).

Plus, what a waste of police resources. Can't this garbage be handled in schools anymore? Back in my day I just got in school suspensions when I was a pain in the ass and that kept me quiet for a couple weeks, seems more reasonable than actually pursuing some nanny-state bullshit laws against making fun of people.

Looking back.in my comments, I can't see anywhere where I said you should be held liable for your kids making fun of someone. That should be a parent-school issue.
Perhaps you have never heard of Columbine, maybe you don't keep up with ever increasing news reports of kids committing suicide because of bullying or finally the possibility exists you don't give 2 shits about the bullying epidemic but I absolutely can see the benefit of holding parents liable. If you have been properly warned about your child's behavior and been given resources for assistance but your kid keeps it up? Your damn skippy the parents need to be liable.
If one of my children broke your window, I bet you would come running to hold me responsible for it.
By the way do you think bullies start out as bullies or do ya maybe think they started out making fun of people?

Looking back.in my comments, I can't see anywhere where I said you should be held liable for your kids making fun of someone. That should be a parent-school issue.

You DO understand what bullying is, correct? It very much includes making fun of people. In fact, this article that you have commented on is about exactly that – making fun of people, and in response to THIS situation (which has absolutely no physical assault whatsoever) you said there should be criminal implications for parents, in a specific case that is simply about making fun of another kid. So that is where you clearly said that if your kid is a bully the parents should face criminal charges.

If you very specifically ONLY want physical bullying (aka assault) to be the parents’ legal problem, then sure, that’s basically the case anyway and I don’t object to that.

I never once said bullying isn't an issue. I said making fun of people shouldn't be a police issue, like you stated bullying should be. Huge difference.

OK let me try this again
As I stated I don't know if what the teacher did was right or wrong I wasn't there. If reading a fable worked , great. If not I hope he took it to the next level.
I am not worried about 8 year olds making fun but I am worried about the 16 year oldkids they become and the name calling results in violence.
and yes for parents who refuse to control their children, jail is the best solution.

I am not worried about 8 year olds making fun but I am worried about the 16 year oldkids they become and the name calling results in violence.
and yes for parents who refuse to control their children, jail is the best solution
But at what point is the child more liable for their actions than the parent? Honest question here.

I have kids within both of those age groups (boys ages 15, 10, 8, and 7), I have no problem being within perfect "control" (lack of a better descriptor there) of the 7 and 8 year old but the 15 year old is already bigger and stronger than me, at what point is it more accepted that a teenager listens less to their parents and more to their peers, and that my "control" over him is getting more limited by the day?

BTW, not an issue I have, my 15 year old is scared of me, I've always been strict and tough as nails, they know that Mom doesn't play. Just asking an honest question here.

Because parents are going to complain either way, no matter what, is exactly why my kids will be taught to punch the fuck out of anyone who dares to bully them:shrug:

This is exactly what my children are taught. Don't fuck with people, but the people who fuck with you get a verbal warning and if it doesn't stop; lay that punk ass kid out.

IMO, parents have the right to introduce the topic of sexuality to their kids when *they* see fit

The parents should be upset with the bullies in the class then. Sounds like these troublemakers are the ones who first exposed the entire class to homosexuality via their insults/bullying. The cat was out of the bag, the teacher didn't introduce anything new to these children.

This is the deep south, very fundamental beliefs going on there

All the more reason it's important for outsiders to step in to ensure the kids are actually being taught good values and healthy attitudes towardsd others, the kind that are actually applicable to the world as it is today.

My big beef with this is that it sounds like the teacher was akcnowledging that this student actually was kinda fruity, if not outright gay. Let's say i'm some weak sissy kid, not gay, just a wimpy kid, maybe i got a speech impediment like a lisp or something, and other kids are calling me gay and referring to me as a female. Then this teacher sits everybody down and tells them that it's wrong to call people like me gay and proceeds to read a story with the message that being gay is okay and we should accept others for their differences. It's gonna feel like this teacher is calling me gay right along with these bullies. Plus the teach is reinforcing some negative stereotypes, even if indirectly.

But at what point is the child more liable for their actions than the parent? Honest question here.

I have kids within both of those age groups (boys ages 15, 10, 8, and 7), I have no problem being within perfect "control" (lack of a better descriptor there) of the 7 and 8 year old but the 15 year old is already bigger and stronger than me, at what point is it more accepted that a teenager listens less to their parents and more to their peers, and that my "control" over him is getting more limited by the day?

BTW, not an issue I have, my 15 year old is scared of me, I've always been strict and tough as nails, they know that Mom doesn't play. Just asking an honest question here.
I feel you! I had a hell child. Now my son never caused damage or hurt anyone but my control was over about age 14.
I was thinking about this and I think really there has to be a better way. We have accepted that 18 is a median age of responsibility but is that still appropriate? Should that accepted age be lower?
Better yet why can't we as a society invest in treatment programs for children and families who find themselves in this place?
Literally if you lose control of a 14 year old what do you do? Who do you call?
These children and their families need some resources available to help them through this time. Our children today are facing serious issues much too early and I don't believe our kids are prepared for the sudden rush into adulthood so common today.
Honestly I have no answer for you. I think it is a fair question and one that needs to be addressed.

I'm so glad my kids are on their way out of the education system. I purposely indoctrinated my kids...I sent them to Catholic School. They're not on the God Squad, they think the bible is bull shit, I'm okay with that...God talks to your soul any way. I'm conflicted about the Gay Agenda, we've read stories here about single gay man adopted a bunch of kids to molest, and that man has friends...and there are other men like him, Neil Patrick Harris creeps me out being a parent about as much a Elton John.

Right now in Canada Ben Levin, the man who developed the sex education curriculum for Ontario which includes the gay agenda, in addition to teaching Grade one students about mixed relationship and proper names for body parts has just been sentenced to three years in prison for child pornography.

Scott Thompson from the comedy troupe Kids in the Hall made remarks recently about being a gay man in the eighties, He mentions that he became Gay basically to be interesting, to get attention and a reaction, he further goes onto say that being gay isn't even fun any more because everyone is doing it, while I have always been a fan of his, It makes me think that was back in the eighties, Scott Thompson had his hand out like any other naughty kid...waiting for some one to slap it, someone to tell him no...and no one did, and I wonder if the whole world failed in that regard, which is something I never considered before.

My kids aren't gay, or transsexuals and I'm happy about it. As a Mother, I am glad not one of my little boys ever looked at me and figured I was so weak as women that he put on dress with the idea in his head that he could do a better job of it.

Last edited:
Good to know in addition to all the weird fucking proclivities you have, intolerence of gays and bigotry towards them is one of them. Good to know! My life must make you sick to your stomach..

The best parts of what you said?

I'm conflicted about the Gay Agenda, we've read stories here about single gay man adopted a bunch of kids to molest, and that man has friends...and there are other men like him, Neil Patrick Harris creeps me out being a parent about as much a Elton John.

You think it's creepy two men got married to their long term partners, and then purposely made the decison to be parents. I bet those lucky kids don't think so. As someone who talks about her weird sex life frequently, I'm shocked you're so fucking intolerant. So they like buttsex, that makes them creepy???

And this.

My kids aren't gay, or transsexuals and I'm happy about it. As a Mother, I am glad not one of my little boys ever looked at me and figured I was so weak as women that he put on dress with the idea in his head that he could do a better job of it.

I'm happy about that as well, since you would do just a fucking awful job of being encouraging, empethetic, and supportive.

2jdgwms.jpg

It seems you're also suggesting people are gay for attention, but I'm not even fucking touching that. Gag.

Right now in Canada Ben Levin, the man who developed the sex education curriculum for Ontario which includes the gay agenda, in addition to teaching Grade one students about mixed relationship and proper names for body parts has just been sentenced to three years in prison for child pornography.

So? What does his crime have to do with what he taught? And what's wrong with teaching kids about mixed relationships, what does that even have to do with sex ed!? I don't grasp what there even is to teach when it comes to that, black people and white people can bang, deal with it kids.

I purposely indoctrinated my kids...I sent them to Catholic School. They're not on the God Squad, they think the bible is bull shit, I'm okay with that...God talks to your soul any way. I'm conflicted about the Gay Agenda, we've read stories here about single gay man adopted a bunch of kids to molest, and that man has friends...and there are other men like him

I'd think a parent this paranoid would have also taken issue with pedophile priests. Shows how much you truly cared about your childrens well being. But hey, at least you nixed the threat posed by self identified homosesxuals outside of the church!

Scott Thompson from the comedy troupe Kids in the Hall made remarks recently about being a gay man in the eighties, He mentions that he became Gay basically to be interesting, to get attention and a reaction, he further goes onto say that being gay isn't even fun any more because everyone is doing it, while I have always been a fan of his, It makes me think that was back in the eighties, Scott Thompson had his hand out like any other naughty kid...waiting for some one to slap it, someone to tell him no...and no one did, and I wonder if the whole world failed in that regard, which is something I never considered before.

He's a comedian. You're seriously taking his clearly facetious remarks as some big profound new way of thinking or questioning of society?

As a Mother, I am glad not one of my little boys ever looked at me and figured I was so weak as women that he put on dress with the idea in his head that he could do a better job of it.

Of course the complexities of gender identity disorder can all be explained away by this. It's all so simple. All the social stigma, the depression, the feelings of isolation and loneliness, the discrimination, the pain, the confusion, the relationship troubles, the expense of treatment, counseling, surgical gender reassassignment-someone altering their entire body and having their cock turned inside out so it resembles a poon, is suffered solely because some boys defiantly want to show their weak ass moms how it's fucking done. They should just call it parental one-upping disorder!

Maybe your sons just lacked the balls to rise to the challenge?

Last edited:
So? What does his crime have to do with what he taught? And what's wrong with teaching kids about mixed relationships, what does that even have to do with sex ed!? I don't grasp what there even is to teach when it comes to that, black people and white people can bang, deal with it kids.

I was talking about different kind of mixed relationships...Perhaps I should have clarified.

I'd think a parent this paranoid would have also taken issue with pedophile priests. Shows how much you truly cared about your childrens well being. But hey, at least you nixed the threat posed by self identified homosesxuals outside of the church!

I'm not ignorant to the crimes of paedophilia committed by certain priests. I'm not paranoid, I don't know how you would even get that from my post....I said I was conflicted, and I am. My children have never spent any time with a priest, beyond sitting through mass with their family and two hundred other members of our congregations....We're not the Duggars, and they aren't alter boys...because I am concerned.

He's a comedian. You're seriously taking his clearly facetious remarks as some big profound new way of thinking or questioning of society?

Scott Thompson was one of the first gay men in Drag on Canadian TV, I have always been a fan which is why I read the article in the first place. And his remarks made me consider things I never had before...Am I going to be crucified here for considering what "HE HAD TO SAY"

Of course the complexities of gender identity disorder can all be explained away by this. It's all so simple

Gender Identity....My kids obviously Identify with a man, a good one.

I'm not paranoid, I don't know how you would even get that from my post

You think(or are at least quite suspicious) that homosexuals are out to molest children.

Come on, don't make me play captain obvious, this shit is pretty straightforward.

My kids obviously Identify with a man, a good one.

How do you know for sure? They could do things in privacy you don't know about or may have hid their true selves and desires out of fear of what others(such as yourself) would think.

Back