• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

slogan71

I am only doing this for the trophy I really hate talking about myself.
I am a recycled hippie, I live in a communal society. I work, pay taxes and abide by the law.
I believe in God with all of my being. God knows I am not perfect so I don't need you to tell me.
I am the black sheep of a southern baptist family (appearances can be deceiving).
I am glad to be here. I am such a loner it is nice to come to a place where you can find good conversation with good people.

How old? Got kids? How many?

Hippies don't usually kick peoples asses "instructionally" but I'll let it slide. ;)

You like the communal living?

Keepalowprofile I have a strict rule never to push my beliefs or practices on anyone else. That being said, I will defend my beliefs and my right to believe it in a productive, respectful way. Fair enough?
I am 43, "recycled hippie" is my sons name for me. I do shave (hehe) and I hate green tea and peace is often overrated. He says I am not exactly a hippie but kinda like one.
I have 2 sons, 2 grandsons and one on the way.
I LOVE communal living. People don't understand the practicality in this lifestyle. My favorite aspect is the barter system for sure!

Keepalowprofile I have a strict rule never to push my beliefs or practices on anyone else. That being said, I will defend my beliefs and my right to believe it in a productive, respectful way. Fair enough?
I am 43, "recycled hippie" is my sons name for me. I do shave (hehe) and I hate green tea and peace is often overrated. He says I am not exactly a hippie but kinda like one.
I LOVE communal living. People don't understand the practicality in this lifestyle. My favorite aspect is the barter system for sure!

I'm personally fascinated. Anything you want to share feel free.

I guess what Churchill said was true because I truly was a hippie in my 20's. I was all food not bombs and give peace a chance.
As I have gotten older, my beliefs have gotten more conservative and with that has come the understanding that there are people in this world that need to have their asses kicked. It seems to be the only language they understand. ;)

Hmm, I'm not sure what to make of you yet, but you seem reasonable and personable. Here's a cookie. If you don't like the flavor, you can probably barter it for a better cookie.

green tea can seriously suck the only way I've been able to drink it without wanting to gag is however the Pashtun fix it, it's sweet warm and doesn't taste vile, I should have watched and figured out the mystery

I luvs you slogan. I've been accused of being a hippie, but I wasn't. I was and am a political activist. Lived in a commune for like 5 minutes (not really), but my dick du jourwas useless!

City boy who wanted to get back to nature and blah, blah. He was scared of cows and goats, hated weeding, hoeing, feeding chickens and minding kids. I lived on an honest to goodness farm and have slopped hogs, milked cows and goats, gathered eggs, cleaned stables and hoed, watered and picked veggies. I got along just fine; sweetie ran away the first time a cow ambled up to look at him. I still laugh about it.

I lived on an honest to goodness farm and have slopped hogs, milked cows and goats, gathered eggs, cleaned stables and hoed, watered and picked veggies.

And now you keep a stable of man-hoes out back with their butts in the air, just waiting for an opportunity to service you so they can stretch their legs and work the cramps out. Damn, my calf is killing me...

How did I miss your intro...oh well I'm here now, SO...

Hey, Hi, Hello, Nice to meetcha, Glad you're sticking around!

And now you keep a stable of man-hoes out back with their butts in the air, just waiting for an opportunity to service you so they can stretch their legs and work the cramps out. Damn, my calf is killing me...

OOOOH!:woot: Nekid mens with there cute l'il butts in the air:woot:! Now, assume the position!:D Your gracious sovereign :angelic:will be along later.;)

I luvs you slogan. I've been accused of being a hippie, but I wasn't. I was and am a political activist. Lived in a commune for like 5 minutes (not really), but my dick du jourwas useless!

City boy who wanted to get back to nature and blah, blah. He was scared of cows and goats, hated weeding, hoeing, feeding chickens and minding kids. I lived on an honest to goodness farm and have slopped hogs, milked cows and goats, gathered eggs, cleaned stables and hoed, watered and picked veggies. I got along just fine; sweetie ran away the first time a cow ambled up to look at him. I still laugh about it.
ROFLMAO sounds like the closest to nature he ever wanted to get was in Central Park

What's a communal society? I want that. Do you all live on a big patch of land together? Pool your money? Cook a big meal for everyone every night? What's the deal? I get lonely a lot, but I still like to be by myself sometimes. Will that work? Do we share clothes? Men? Women? It sounds like a lot of work. I'll cook and clean and stuff but I'm not good at gardening and outside/dirty work. I can learn. I'll start packing.

Hi Slogan. *waving from the Heartland* I'm enjoying catching up on reading your posts. :)

Communal living is a pretty expansive term, and one (within a positive framework) I've been promoting from the rooftops since I was a kid. Feel free to let me (and a few others of us communal living-minded Nosy Rosies) live vicariously if you feel like telling us a bit about it if you're comfortable with it. Some of us are pretty grass roots when it comes to living in harmony with our fellow (sane) planet mates and the whole "village raising the child" thing. Then, of course, some of us are more comfortable with the villagers living in their own houses and helping raise the kids from a distance, too, so...LOL.

At any rate, a belated welcome!

Communal living is just a big family, and, like all families, squabble, argue, pout, complain and get pissy sometimes! The one I lived on with Scared Of Cows (like Dances With Wolves) had about 25-30 people counting the kids.

Work schedules were worked out and posted in the kitchen; every week we rotated chores. Every night we had a family meeting; we sat around drinking homemade wine(NOT getting drunk; we had to watch the kids), smoking and adressing whatever issues people had.

Somebody would complain that he/she always gets stuck with the laundry. Someone else says the kids are little monsters and would someone, anyone please help her out. Somebody else complains about eating lentils all the time...Petty internecine squabbles were always there, but we worked them out together. Nobody ever went to bed mad, unhappy, worried or sad.

Cooking was done all the damn day long, along with canning, freezing, drying and smoking stuff. We made and sold jam, jelly, garden herbs, cookies and pies to the locals. We kept chickens and a few milk cows; we made butter and cheese and sausage.

If you love sausage AND respect the law, don't watch either being made <---funny!

Back to nature with a vengance. I'm getting nostalgic.

Communal living is just a big family, and, like all families, squabble, argue, pout, complain and get pissy sometimes! The one I lived on with Scared Of Cows (like Dances With Wolves) had about 25-30 people counting the kids.

Work schedules were worked out and posted in the kitchen; every week we rotated chores. Every night we had a family meeting; we sat around drinking homemade wine(NOT getting drunk; we had to watch the kids), smoking and adressing whatever issues people had.

Somebody would complain that he/she always gets stuck with the laundry. Someone else says the kids are little monsters and would someone, anyone please help her out. Somebody else complains about eating lentils all the time...Petty internecine squabbles were always there, but we worked them out together. Nobody ever went to bed mad, unhappy, worried or sad.

Cooking was done all the damn day long, along with canning, freezing, drying and smoking stuff. We made and sold jam, jelly, garden herbs, cookies and pies to the locals. We kept chickens and a few milk cows; we made butter and cheese and sausage.

If you love sausage AND respect the law, don't watch either being made <---funny!

That is exactly why hubby and I left the farm where we lived in an apartment. No one was ever completely happy no.matter what you did.
My attitude was hell it all has to be done. Why bitch about it?
We love our community but felt the need to live in a bit more solitude. The workload is heavier but totally happy. :)

Thanks for the descriptives! *dreamy sigh* I'd definitely be on the over-doer side of things and likely wouldn't groan too loudly about it, but I would have to say something if someone started playing 'entitlement' games. I don't do random a.t.t.i.t.u.d.e. very well unchecked. It's Namaste or the highway. :D

welcome

The good old days, we saw all the great bands, we shared all and std's were treatable

@gatekeeper I suppose people will rate this "crap" but its the truth.
Men out there took care of the heavy work which always got done and was fairly distributed. They didn't bitch about stuff or argue amongst themselves.
BUT THE WOMEN
OMG they bitched and argued even when things changed to favor them.
It was very difficult to have several females in a small place.

@gatekeeper I suppose people will rate this "crap" but its the truth.
Men out there took care of the heavy work which always got done and was fairly distributed. They didn't bitch about stuff or argue amongst themselves.
BUT THE WOMEN
OMG they bitched and argued even when things changed to favor them.
It was very difficult to have several females in a small place.

You know, I'm sure a case can be made in certain situations for men in group living situations being somewhat, if not outright competitive in some ways/regarding certain things, but you just hit on the very reason I've never been able to find a successful communal living situation, or, as an alternative in my particular case, a polygamous living situation (though the two are worlds apart, I'd be happy with either if it actually worked). Why in the world are we women (IMO/IME, too) so catty and bitchy with each other as a basic gender group? :rolleyes: :(

Sadly, it seems to be a recurrent pattern with a lot of group situations I've encountered, too, smh. I don't have a jealous or truly competitive bone in my whole body (that I've found yet, anyway - I <3 my sisters), but I swear I've heard (and observed) the same thing with more people than I can count. Then again, some women get accused of being "catty" when they're really just being honest about other women acting like entitled princesses, Jealous Janes, and royal jackasses from time to time, too, so part of it is likely due to good, old-fashioned stereotyping, too, I'm sure (at least re: the folks I'm familiar with where I live).

Maybe it's just relative to the areas I've lived in, but I've only found one group of people (incl. both monogamous couples and committed, poly situations of 3+, combined) in 52 years I seriously considered living with before I met my son's father 20-ish yrs. ago (affectionately, but most definitely known as "the ex," forthwith :D ). I still keep in contact with them to this day and in their case, though a few couples (+) have come and gone from the original group, the base group is still together and actually bought then built a communal housing tract on their property.

I'd still love to find the right communal living situation *if* there really is one, lol (the above group rule is no singles, which I currently am). Even with a few la femme creatures with claws, I'd still use my "mellow the f**k out, ya hellcats!" ways to do everything I possibly could to help things stay awesome and viable, but at this point, unless we have folks operating under the community radar, I just don't see it happening 'round this metropolis. :meh: Again, maybe it's just relative to the areas I've lived in, but by the time you weed through all the fruits, nuts and berries around here, all you're left with are the flakes. :playful: I do love hearing/learning about others' experiences, though. It helps keep me grounded, slightly jaded and far, far away from a pie-in-the-sky, Pollyanna idealist. :)

Last edited:
@gatekeeper I have 2 questions and feel free not to answer.
Have you been in a polygamy situation in past (wasn't exactlay sure from your reply)?
Is there a higherarchy among the wives?
Polygamy is a very interesting subject to me. :)

Have you been in a polygamy situation in past (wasn't exactlay sure from your reply)?

Lol!

I can answer these questions......

@gatekeeper - I know for a fact that I'm far too jealous a creature to consider the polygamous/polyamorous situation. I'll kill a bitch that looks sideways at a man of mine. (we need a gettin' stabby icon) I don't ask for much in this world, but fidelity is at the top of the list. :oops: More power to you for being so level headed! :kiss:

*lol@gettin stabby icon* Hey now, BG, *holds both hands up, palms out* you have my word I will NOT look sideways at your man! :hilarious: I'm waaay trustworthy like that (even when fatal lacerations aren't part of the equation ;) :kiss: <3).

Actually, you're a heck of a lot more "normal" than I consider myself to be re: the jealousy thing in relationships, so comparatively speaking, I don't really know if it's always such a great thing - it's just a me thing. :confused:

Jealousy and competition go hand in hand and competition, in perspective, can be/is (IMO) a healthy thing - on the evolutionary scale, it's a critical survival skill, right? So, in a post-apocalyptic situation, for example, where it's "every man for himself" and there would naturally be competition for water, food and other necessary resources, I'd be the type to just divide my resources equally among everyone else and wander off into the desert to die, lol. :dead: Needless to say, I've never gotten into human-centered, competitive tv shows like "Survivor", "Big Brother", etc. For me, seeing all the back-stabbing, lying, false "alliance" formations and all the other crap that brings out the worst in human behavior drives me straight up, batshit crazy! :jawdrop::wtf::stop::yuck:

The only thing that really bugs me about jealousy among women is the way we use that emotion against each other to hurt and devalue each other, due in large part to a media machine that tells us that no matter who are, what we do, what we buy, what we wear, what creams and makeups and magic f**king potions we slather all over ourselves, etc., we're never going to be "good enough" - we'll never be as good as, as pretty as, as smart as, as sexy as, as WTFever as some imaginary "HER" that way too goddamned many of us worship. FUCK "HER."

The math is simple - subtract the value of some ridiculous, money-generated, celeb-worshipping, Barbie doll "ideal", and you automatically reduce the number of women who experience/turn to "Her"-induced jealousy as a catch-all emotion for what is quite simply a deliberate :greedy: and media-induced hatchet job on an already precarious sense of positive self-regard and self-love/appreciation.

Last edited:
1: I have been and still in what some would consider a polygamy situation. We aren't religious though. 8 years, we both have a daughter by him.

2: There is a hiarchy. Kind of. I'm older, and bossy, so I guess I'm the top one. Then her. Then him. He's not in charge. Lol. Guys think he has it made but its alot of work for not much more "bedroom activities", if you know what I mean. ;)

Ha! I was going to tag @Nell for your great question, too, but I see she was able to catch you first anyway. :) I keep logging in and getting pulled away again for all manners of mish-mashed minutia around here. *eyeballs kids and her unholy Android :bored:*

I've not yet been lucky enough to find a situation where any of my potential polygamates can come together so that we're all operating on the same wavelength when it comes to roles, or the "hierarchy" of sorts that you're speaking of, including the sexual prefs.

The poly folks I know/have met do have their own hierarchies ("sort of", as Nell said), but IME it's been pretty well group defined with no specific "rules" or standard guidelines they follow. With the poly community lifestyle here (those I know about anyway), it's either been couple-specific first with a +1 or more kind of thing, or the group of 3+ develops first then they all come together around one gender, predominantly a male IME (I only know one poly sitch with 2 males, 3 females and the "2nd" male they brought into the group is gay), or they're almost exactly like the polygamy situation you see on the TLC show, "Sister Wives" without any religious connotations/affiliations. I do have an old friend from school who's a comedian/entertainer in LA and Vegas (he's opened for Penn Jillette and my birthday buddy [R.J.] Teller) who lives a "polyamorous" lifestyle (his descriptive) where he and his main/primary girlfriend have more 'temporary' live-in situations where their polymates are more like regular sexual playmates who're free to come and go, but I don't personally know anyone in their group other than him, his g/f, and his daughter.

I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but from my experiences in looking for the right people/group of folks, the poly groups just kind of define themselves. My biggest hurdle was that when I found a great guy who was open to a long term, polygamous relationship (one guy, multiple wives or commited g/fs), we couldn't find the right female(s), and vice versa - I find the right female (twice now) and I can't talk my guy into anything more than having "a third" on hand for sex. Ugh. Predictable much? :banghead::bored::finger::rolleyes::joyful:

So, nope. I didn't get to live the way I've always wanted to live, and now, at 52, I'd be more of an older co-mom/"stepmom"/aunt/grammy-type in a poly situation with younger kiddos/little ones since my kids are older (dtr. 32, son 18, g-dtr. 11). I'd still love it, but the hubs/w'ever would have to have his own kids and/or make some more b/c this baby machine isn't just vacant, it's permanently shut down for eternity, lol.

We have a couple of other poly-minded (as in 3 or more, not just 5+)folks here who can probably provide some different perspectives/experiences, but I hope at least some of this made some sense. :wacky: I've got more than a little background noise :shifty: going on while I'm trying to get my D'D fix!

Last edited:
Back