• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
Public donations have funded a £6,500 reward to find attackers who stabbed a "loving and trusting" horse with a 2ft 6ins (80cm) wooden stake.

The eight-year-old Clydesdale mare, called Skye, suffered horrific injuries in the "sick and evil attack" at Cumbrian Heavy Horses near Millom.

The animal, one of 20 heavy horses at the 175-acre riding complex, was found bleeding heavily by staff on 10 May.

Vets worked for several hours to safely remove the wooden stake, which had been sharpened, from the horse's hind quarters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-32794948

Investigation launched into 'sickening attack' on Clydesdale horse

'Kind natured’ Skye during happier times at Cumbrian Heavy Horse
AN investigation is under way after a ‘sickening attack’ on a gentle natured heavy horse in rural south Cumbria.

‘Evil’ attackers drove a two-and-half-foot sharpened stake into the vulva of Clydesdale mare Skye at the Cumbrian Heavy Horse Centre in the Whicham Valley, near Broughton-in-Furness.

Amazingly, the eight-year-old horse survived and is recovering from internal injuries after a lengthy surgical procedure.

But the centre’s owner Annie Rose said she has been left ‘scared’ by the incident, and is warning horse owners in the county to keep their animals safe.

Ms Rose is appealing for anyone with information that could help catch the ‘psychos’ who hurt Skye to come forward.

“This was a malicious attack that was designed to kill,” she said. “We suspect it’s either someone local who has a grudge against us for reasons we don’t understand, or someone random and just plain evil.”

The attack, which is believed to have involved at least two people, happened on Saturday when Skye was in her paddock for the night, along with several other horses.

Ms Rose recalled: “First thing in the morning the team went out to get the horses and I heard someone shouting, telling me to come look at Skye.

“She was so docile, almost like she was in shock. I saw blood running down her leg and then the end of the stick – at first I thought she’d impaled herself on something.

“When I realised someone had done that to her I was so disgusted I nearly passed out.”

Thankfully, the stake was deflected downwards by Skye’s musculature, and missed all her major blood vessels.

“We’ve had her for four years and she is such a lovely, kind horse,” said Ms Rose. “She would have trusted them – that’s the heartbreaking thing.”

RSPCA Inspector Chris Towler, who is investigating the case, said ‘thankfully’ attacks of this nature are rare.

“In 30 years of doing this job it’s only the second case I have seen of attacks on the genitalia of horses.

“The nature of the attack puts it on a different level – this isn’t someone lashing out, it’s clearly designed to damage the rear end.

“I’m just hoping that this was a malicious attack on that particular animal and not the start of a pattern, because that would be absolutely horrendous.”

Mr Towler added: “Without being alarmist, every equine owner in the area should ensure as best they can that their animals are secured.”

Cumbria Police have also attended the scene, and anyone with information about the attack is urged to call them on 101 or the RSPCA’s Cruelty Hotline on 0300 123 4999.

Omg. That beautiful creature, being so trusting because I'm sure shes always been treated so kindly. Oh I'm sickened by this. We've been given these creatures to love and care for, and in return we get to enjoy them. Then for subhumans to do this deliberately is beyond comprehension. I hate to imagine what they got out of this act. I hope they are found and tortured and have nightmares the rest of their life. Why can't i think of worse words to describe them? I could torture them myself. And I'm one of the most peace loving people i know.

Sometimes I sorta dislike the human race. Other times I absolutely hate the human race. This is one of the "kick them them to death and televise it" days.

Personally, I hate horses. They return the favor, and we have an understanding...they don't bite my shoulder, stomp on my feet, toss the head and break my nose, kick me while I'm cleaning hooves or roll me over in a mud hole, and I won't sell them to an Alpo factory. They roll up their big horse lips at me, I show 'em my teeth.

edited to redeem myself! Horses are beautiful and smart! To see one running halter-free is to see a song in motion. But they have lousy tempers, are stubborn and LUV to chomp down on the big muscle that runs from neck to shoulder joint. They are also practical jokers.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a child I loved horses so much I wanted to be one. Then came two horrible accidents that have put me off actually being in a confined space with horses or riding them. In 2005 my coworker was trampled while putting out hay, and it rearranged her face permanently. She's finally now getting dentures after having to tolerate loose teeth all these years since. Her friend, April, was participating in an annual trail ride several years later when she was horribly injured. She was sitting on her horse at the finish line when another horse kicked and it caught her in the head. It knocked her fucking eyes out. She died that night in the hospital. :(

Back