• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Black woman kills black baby.....a true racist wouldn't care. [/QUOTE

Of course they would. While it's true that a judge MAY have a harder time viewing this victim as the beautiful, precious toddler that he was, his mother's assigned role in society does not include taking his life. Violating that assigned role is a major transgression that must be punished swiftly. Don't forget that playing fast and loose with social roles already resulted in a white trash president and a black one. What's next? A Hispanic Jewish transgendered woman president?

Besides, you have to maintain order, and even though a certain amount of disorder and lawlessness might be tolerable among your cronies, the same behaviors look frightening and dangerous when the OTHER commits them.

Besides, you can't have these damned Catholics/Irish/Italians/Poles/Jews/African Americans/Native Americans/Amish/Hindus/feminists/homosexuals/atheists (INSERT CURRENT "TROUBLE" MINORITY) disrespecting their betters by breaking their laws, can you?

She did not get away with killing her child because she was white, she was found not guilty because a shoddy prosecution over-charged her and were unable to convince a jury that she did, in fact, kill her child. Had the prosecution lowered the charges against her, that jury would have had no issues convicting her.

I'm not saying that there isn't racism (or more accurately, classism) in the courts, but the Casey Anthony case was an example of bad prosecution and a decent defense team - just like the OJ Simpson case, another incident that showed that, in circumstantial cases, the only thing that matters is how much money you have - not what color you are.

Except Casey Anthony was a unemployed broke ass white chick writing rubber checks. For all of her lack of funds I think she owes her case to her lawyer and her parents who presented themselves as truly more fucked up than her herself.

It's common knowledge that minorities and poor people are charged more often and face stiffer sentences. I'm feeling lazy, too, but if someone doubts me, holla, and I'll post some links.

The thing is, it's hard to tell how much of it is being colored and how much of it is being poor, as the two overlap more significantly than white and broke, statistically speaking. Rich white will get a better sentence than poor white. Poor white will get a better sentence than poor black. Middle class white will get a better sentence than middle class black, but the disparity is less severe than poor white vs. poor black. Rich white and rich black enjoy relatively equivalent sentencing, because money is the great equalizer.

White privilege is real, but so is socioeconomic privilege. Juries will have a harder time sympathizing because she's black. But, if she doesn't have something like an existing diagnosis on record which will help the defense, that's not because she's black, it's because she's poor. But being black does make it easier to be poor.

Chicken and the egg, much?

It's a fucking mess. But, yeah, an insanity defense is hard to get to begin with. Even harder when you're black.

Damn, you make me feel so good for being brown. So if I did something cray cray and being poor brown 6\12 months a year and rich brown the other 50% of the time, my sentencing should be just right. I'm not black nor white and I fall right between the two. Sounds good to me, I'll take it. No links necessary. *sigh of relief, people might start to worry about the bodies in the back yard. *

For someone who is having mental health issues, it's gotta be hard enough to reach out for help- if you're then told you have to get a referal from your primary dr., then wait possibly months to get in with a psych dr., I would think that for many it could be too late?!
Not just that, which is all true in most places it seems; but it's usually hard for someone with mental health issues to even ask for help in the first place; they either lack the ability to see the problem due to the illness, or they're ashamed, or they're afraid, etc (I think if we're going to be technical the shame and fear are also caused or exacerbated by their mental illness.) ... knowing that you have to jump through hoops and obstacles while still needing that help just increases that difficulty exponentially.

Last edited:
Not just that, which is all true in most places it seems; but it's usually hard for someone with mental health issues to even ask for help in the first place; they either lack the ability to see the problem in the first place due to the illness, or they're ashamed, or they're afraid, etc (I think if we're going to be technical the shame and fear is also caused or exacerbated by their mental illness.) ... knowing that you have to jump through hoops and obstacles while still needing that help just increases that difficulty exponentially.

Absolutely! I have pretty good health ins (Blue cross blue shield) and it only covers me to see my psych dr. 6 times per year- I started seeing him after my last child was born for postpartum depression- it took 2mos to even get my first appt. (which seems like FOREVER when you're suffering) Then I had to pay out of pocket to be able to see him 1 a month for that first year while we figured out medications. It sucked & definitely added to my stress & anxiety!

Any updates yet on the cause of death? This story is disturbing me I have an image of that park swing being haunted by that poor baby forever...sad

Any updates yet on the cause of death? This story is disturbing me I have an image of that park swing being haunted by that poor baby forever...sad
I can't find anything new, it seems they are awaiting the toxicology results.

Not just that, which is all true in most places it seems; but it's usually hard for someone with mental health issues to even ask for help in the first place; they either lack the ability to see the problem due to the illness, or they're ashamed, or they're afraid, etc (I think if we're going to be technical the shame and fear are also caused or exacerbated by their mental illness.) ... knowing that you have to jump through hoops and obstacles while still needing that help just increases that difficulty exponentially.
^^This. A hundred million times this.^^

--Al

Actually, that's a good point. My brother could never see his own illness. His delusions made sense to him.

I had an issue a couple years ago trying to help a relative who was in immediate need of mental health services, but her medicaid had us jumping through hoops & any kind of actual help seemed months away- which I knew she couldn't wait.

Out of desperation I ended up bringing her to the emergency room- they checked her straight in on a 36 or 72hr hold (can't remember what the norm is) and by the time she was discharged, she was on medication & had a follow up appointment with a psych dr. It was like fast-tracking her care.

Not sure if mental health services are like that in every state/case, but I wonder if this woman got the run-around with mental health & medicaid too?

For someone who is having mental health issues, it's gotta be hard enough to reach out for help- if you're then told you have to get a referal from your primary dr., then wait possibly months to get in with a psych dr., I would think that for many it could be too late?!

I just wanted to say -

It's possible that she didn't see ER fast-tracking as an option because it would mean absence from her child.

Some reports in this case show that her relationship with her mother was a bit rocky, so maybe she considered the "critical care" option inaccessible because it would mean leaving baby with mom and then facing stressful repercussions for it later.

I'd like to see a list of homeless single or separated mothers who went on to hurt or murder their children. It's nothing but proof that affordable housing, accessible homeless shelters for families, mental health care, and public support networks for struggling parents should be main priorities everywhere.

I just wanted to say -

It's possible that she didn't see ER fast-tracking as an option because it would mean absence from her child.

Some reports in this case show that her relationship with her mother was a bit rocky, so maybe she considered the "critical care" option inaccessible because it would mean leaving baby with mom and then facing stressful repercussions for it later.

I'd like to see a list of homeless single or separated mothers who went on to hurt or murder their children. It's nothing but proof that affordable housing, accessible homeless shelters for families, mental health care, and public support networks for struggling parents should be main priorities everywhere.

Hey, I like you.
Please don't be dstranger reincarnated.

I look forward to your posts.

Maybe, like me, she felt she couldn't trust her mother with her child.

Article with quite a bit of background information of the mother, father and grandmother and the dynamics between them all:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...189e50-056d-11e5-bc72-f3e16bf50bb6_story.html

It says a lot when even the grieving father can say something like this:

“It still seems so unreal to me,” Lee said, though he doesn’t think Romechia should be charged because he believes whatever happened was unintentional. “I want her to get help. She’s not a bad mother. She’s a great mom. But in this situation, she was unfit.”

Seems that way from the article I just posted. Seems she and her mother had a roller coaster of a relationship complete with police reports and numerous different accusations. Her mother blames the baby's father for her daughter's mental health issues and he blames her mother (baby's grandmother), it's very possible she felt like her mother was a bad choice to care for her child.

A 3-year-old boy was alive when his mother began pushing him on a swing in a Maryland park on May 20 and remained in the seat until two days later when authorities found the hysterical parent pushing his deceased corpse.

Ji'Aire Donnell Lee died of dehydration and hypothermia before he was finally found by police at Wills Memorial Park at 6:55 a.m. on May 22 about 43 and a half hours after he was first placed into the swing set, according to the Charles County Sheriff's Office in La Plata, Md.

The toddler's death was ruled a homicide by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore, but no charges have been filed
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/boy-3-died-pushed-swing-2-days-article-1.2276884

Clearly, she wasn't such a great choice either. :banghead: What an awful, drawn-out death for that baby—and at his mother's hands. (We need an icon for a heart torn to pieces.) RIP little one.

If she's not severely mentally ill, that's some serious dedication to preparing for an insanity defence.

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: How did she not also get hypothermia? Did she stop pushing occasionally to go relieve herself in the bushes? The poor little guy would have been forced to just soil himself and sit in it. The baby undoubtedly would have been wailing at some point. How did she manage to stand there pushing him for so long without falling over from exhaustion?! So many questions!

What a horrible way to die!! I can only assume as he cried and pleaded in distress she was probably just blankly staring off, ignoring each sob. What a horrific thought of helplessness, that your own mother just keeps on ignoring you! He must have been SO scared!!!! :bigtears: Everything about this is just fucking awful and insanely creepy.

Last edited:
IIRC, the police were originally alerted to the situation because people reported that she seemed to have been pushing the child for a really long time.

Yeah but 40 some hours? Wtf man. Do we really stare at our phones that much now?

Yeah but 40 some hours? Wtf man. Do we really stare at our phones that much now?

The only thing I can think is that people go to the park for an hour or so at a time, and they usually go about the same time of day each visit. It would be normal to see the same parents/caregivers there over and over again. It might not even be unusual to see someone pushing the same child on the swings every visit for a few visits. If you came to the park every 3 hours, you would notice something was not right pretty quickly. But who does that? So, if you came on, say, Tuesday at 3pm and saw a Mom pushing a child on the swings for an hour, you might not notice anything amiss. But if you came back on Wednesday and the same woman was pushing the same child, in the same swing, you might pay closer attention and notice something was not right.

I have a sinking feeling that the baby fell asleep at some point on the first day, woke up in distress after dark, then suffered and died during the nighttime hours when there were no other visitors.

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: How did she not also get hypothermia?

The smaller the person, the easier it is for hypothermia to set in. A child that size can suffer from it much easier than an adult would.

I got nothin' on the rest of it.

The answer is so much worse than I imagined. My mind keeps trying to imagine those 46 hours, and just reels in horror. This is the story that will haunt me.

I was just about to update this!

She pushed him for 2 days STRAIGHT in the swing!!! Poor baby :( I wonder if he was screaming and upset or if he just trusted his mom and kind of went with it. Ugh breaks my heart

I was searching around on this case and find an article that said that following the murder (his death has been classified as a homicide now) the mother was hospitalized for 4 days. That seems like a short hospital stay for the level of mental illness that her family is saying that she has.

I'm not saying that she can't be mentally ill, rather I'm just shocked at that brief of a stay. In other cases where a child has died at the hands of their mentally ill mother she has spent weeks, even months in the hospital. Four days just seems so short.

I guess they could have simply just got her mentally stabilized and called it good and sent her on her way, I don't know. Like I said I was just surprised she was only in the hospital for 4 days, that's all.

Back