• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
why was she fighting the father for custody?
I don't have an answers exactly but I did some searching docket sheets and the father's name is James Lee, Mom is Romechia Simms, in August of 2012, two people with those names were charged with 2nd degree assault, she was acquitted and he entered a plea to that and reckless endangerment. Could help explain why Dad was having trouble getting custody.

Dad's Docket Sheet:

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.u...l.jis?caseId=0P00081634&loc=17&detailLoc=DSCR
Mom's:
http://casesearch.courts.state.md.u...l.jis?caseId=0P00081655&loc=17&detailLoc=DSCR

Well thankfully the rest of "mainstream" America and the media doesn't speak for me.:p

I hate few things more than women who can murder there children but few things are as heartbreaking to me as a woman who's mind is so broken that she feels murdering her child is the best thing for them and knowing that at some point she will get enough help to have to live with the knowledge of what she did.

And, I ain't judging. Besides, I talked to Gawd this morning and he told me I could if I wanted to, but just for today, tomorrow I have to be good.;)

I don't know whether to agree, thank you or laugh.

Actually, you'll be wrong. I only say this because she's black. America isn't trying to hide it's racism anymore.
Now, if she were white, you'd be correct.
Yep. I went there. Threw the gauntlet. Pulled the race card.

She's committed a "sin" that's far worse than being black. She's poor, and her family is poor. (Grandma is homeless too.) Judges don't look at poor women and see their own mother or sister. They see some subhuman creature that has no decency or morality or sensitivity, but could only possibly respond to pleasure or pain. So they dole out some pain to sort of teach them not to touch the hot stove again. Because the situation could not have arisen from human problems like despair, stress, mental illness or lack of proper medical care, since only humans have those problems.

If her skin and hair are different from the judge's, that just makes it easier to pretend that his/her mother could never be in that situation.

As an aside, racism should not be hidden. It's so easy to ignore inconsistencies in your private thoughts. Seeing them acted out to their grim conclusions by racist cops with guns is a lot harder to justify.

I don't have an answers exactly but I did some searching docket sheets and the father's name is James Lee, Mom is Romechia Simms, in August of 2012, two people with those names were charged with 2nd degree assault, she was acquitted and he entered a plea to that and reckless endangerment. Could help explain why Dad was having trouble getting custody.

Dad's Docket Sheet:

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/inquiry/inquiryDetail.jis?

Dad's Docket Sheet:

[URL]http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/inquiry/inquiryDetail.jis?caseId=0P00081634&loc=17&detailLoc=DSCR

caseId=0P00081634&loc=17&detailLoc=DSCR[/URL]
Mom's:
http://casesearch.courts.state.md.u...l.jis?caseId=0P00081655&loc=17&detailLoc=DSCR

Hmm, strange. The GoFundMe page (referenced on Valasca's article link) lists the father as Donnell Lee. This guy is James Ronald Lee. Is he using a different name now to avoid the court history surfacing?

Alcohol....syrup....methadone....even Moms meds...He could have gotten into any of that on his own...trying to kid proof a motel room sounds like an impossible job....Good hotels have safes and stuff, but I don't think they were staying in that kind of place. I really hope she didn't feed it to him...that its just an accident.

Last edited:
She's committed a "sin" that's far worse than being black. She's poor, and her family is poor. (Grandma is homeless too.) Judges don't look at poor women and see their own mother or sister. They see some subhuman creature that has no decency or morality or sensitivity, but could only possibly respond to pleasure or pain. So they dole out some pain to sort of teach them not to touch the hot stove again. Because the situation could not have arisen from human problems like despair, stress, mental illness or lack of proper medical care, since only humans have those problems.

If her skin and hair are different from the judge's, that just makes it easier to pretend that his/her mother could never be in that situation.

As an aside, racism should not be hidden. It's so easy to ignore inconsistencies in your private thoughts. Seeing them acted out to their grim conclusions by racist cops with guns is a lot harder to justify.
Bang. There it is. THIS is so much better than what I said.

I don't see why we still can't. Looks like they were homeless and the autopsy is not done yet. Maybe she suffocated him due to her extreme depression and believing he would be better off in heaven, or maybe he just dies in his sleep? .
Or maybe they were sleeping in the same bed and she accidentally smothered him.

This guy is James Ronald Lee. Is he using a different name now to avoid the court history surfacing?
On the GFM page it lists the father as James "Donnell" Lee, implying that James is his given name and Donnell is his nickname.

ETA:
Ji'Aire Donnell Lee was born on August 22, 2011 at Southern Maryland Hospital to Romechia Simms and James "Donnell" Lee.

I bet he was in a baby swing and rigour that set in.
And you just won the award for the creepiest damn thing I have read on the DD. Christ on a crutch that's just too damn much for me. As if this story wasn't creepy enough. That playground is gonna forever be haunted. Like swings swinging without a breeze haunted.

Poor little Ji'Aire, completely innocent & trusting. So unfair. I hope we find out the how & the why, but either way, we've still got a little 3yo who is gone forever. Just so sad.
Rest peacefully little man...
jiaire.jpg

Unfortunately I think she had something to do with it. She's homeless and poor and facing possibly losing the closest thing to her, her child. The inner panic must have been immense and I do believe and agree that this another case of a loving mom snapping crazy and thinking she's doing what's best for her child. C'mon people! We have just seen this way too many times to be in denial about it. If the result is any different I'll be extremely shocked.

Last edited:
Actually, you'll be wrong. I only say this because she's black. America isn't trying to hide it's racism anymore.

Or shit...maybe she was mehicano...we all KNOW those bitches are LOCO...

Or maybe Asian... you all know those LITTLE CHINA DOLLS are hiding samurai swords in their robes...

You're right...don't believe you went there...what race are you? Are you are parent? How would react if you lost a child? Me...GIVE ME DRUGS...I would be so fuckin' pissed off at the world if one of my boys died.

Everyone reacts differently, and for you base that on race is nothing but BS, or a need to clear your conscience (shrug).

My own sister-in-law (bless my brother's heart (sarcastic grin) who hasn't formalized his divorce yet)) is a raging effin' lunatic that I could so see pushing a dead baby in a swing...but I could also see her taking a dead dog for a walk...

Mental illness knows no color, creed, or economic class.
This woman needed help. The vast majority of the homeless population in America is mentally ill.

Psychosis is real. I'm willing to bet she had a full on psychotic break.

@bowling68 I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to say. And that's all good. I'm notorious for wording things wrong.
Crazy Anthony got away with killing her child. This woman will not. Yes, I am pulling the race card here.

Crazy Anthony got away with killing her child.

She did not get away with killing her child because she was white, she was found not guilty because a shoddy prosecution over-charged her and were unable to convince a jury that she did, in fact, kill her child. Had the prosecution lowered the charges against her, that jury would have had no issues convicting her.

I'm not saying that there isn't racism (or more accurately, classism) in the courts, but the Casey Anthony case was an example of bad prosecution and a decent defense team - just like the OJ Simpson case, another incident that showed that, in circumstantial cases, the only thing that matters is how much money you have - not what color you are.

The Father of little Ji'Aire speaks out
[...]
“That's my little man -- he loved having fun just like me,” he said. “He'll always be -- that's my little man."

Lee came to court about a month ago to ask a judge for custody of his son, believing that was the best thing for the child. He said he is angry and frustrated because he feels the judge was not listening to him. That day in court was the last time he saw his son.

"I'm not saying she is an unfit parent, but at this particular time, she wasn't fit to take care of our son,” Lee told us. “When I presented my case, I felt like he should have looked more in depth of what was being said rather than trying to ice it over so we could co-parent."

Lee recalled he was supposed to pick up his son on Saturday morning, but was trying to rearrange his plans to pick him up earlier because of scheduling issues. But he was unable to contact the boy's mother.

"I called her all Wednesday night and Thursday morning,” he said. “She didn't answer the phone. She stopped answering my calls. Friday morning on the way to work, her mother calls me up and says my son is gone."

Police say the autopsy performed has not revealed the cause of death. They are still searching for answers as they put together a timeline of events leading up to the toddler's death.

Ji'Aire's mother remains in the hospital undergoing mental evaluation.
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29150861/toddler-found-dead-swing

I really feel for the father. He lost his son, he doesn't go 'on the attack' as far as his ex. He's not screaming for a lawsuit against the courts (yet?). He just seems legit heartbroken. So freakin sad!

It seems strange to me that the initial autopsy hasn't revealed the cause of death? Most of the manners of death that I was predicting would probably be evident at an autopsy? Maybe they're waiting for a tox screen to tell us more? Still so many questions!

Yes, @Morbid.... I'm pretty sure you are correct. Thanks for the education. I hadn't looked at it that way.

It's not that I disagree with your initial sentiment. I think it has been shown that people of color usually get stiffer sentences than caucasians convicted of the same crimes. I could be wrong on that, and I hope @Athena will come in to back that up or prove me wrong as I am too lazy to look at the moment.

It's common knowledge that minorities and poor people are charged more often and face stiffer sentences. I'm feeling lazy, too, but if someone doubts me, holla, and I'll post some links.

The thing is, it's hard to tell how much of it is being colored and how much of it is being poor, as the two overlap more significantly than white and broke, statistically speaking. Rich white will get a better sentence than poor white. Poor white will get a better sentence than poor black. Middle class white will get a better sentence than middle class black, but the disparity is less severe than poor white vs. poor black. Rich white and rich black enjoy relatively equivalent sentencing, because money is the great equalizer.

White privilege is real, but so is socioeconomic privilege. Juries will have a harder time sympathizing because she's black. But, if she doesn't have something like an existing diagnosis on record which will help the defense, that's not because she's black, it's because she's poor. But being black does make it easier to be poor.

Chicken and the egg, much?

It's a fucking mess. But, yeah, an insanity defense is hard to get to begin with. Even harder when you're black.

I'm gonna guess if Slingblade over on the other thread, that hacked his mom to death, didn't succeed with an insanity defense, my hope that this woman might escape prison time is quickly fading...:nailbiting:

Black woman kills black baby.....a true racist wouldn't care.

Here's an article where the mother's mental illness is discussed a bit. Not a lot of details but her mother does give a few bits of information.
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29174472/child-dead-swing-mother-mental-illness

She was waiting to be assigned a mental health worker. They should give moms in charge of small kids special preference.

Yet, even homeless, she was able to win custody over the husband.

It could be she was depressed and the baby's illness and later death pushed her over the edge.

The whole thing is ????????

She did not get away with killing her child because she was white, she was found not guilty because a shoddy prosecution over-charged her and were unable to convince a jury that she did, in fact, kill her child. Had the prosecution lowered the charges against her, that jury would have had no issues convicting her.

Aside from the race issue (which I think is almost always present in our courts), I think the main problem with the case was that the Prosecution did a crappy job of explaining motive and an an almost equally crappy job of explaining the evidence. (Plus the jury was pulled from the infamous Pinellas County, where IQs seem to be a bit on the low side.) You may be right about the winnability of a lesser charge, but she so rich deserved that murder charge.

IMO

1) The little girl died because sociopath mom wanted to leave her parent's increasingly stressful (to her) home and go live the "bella vita" with a guy who'd told her he didn't want her daughter in his home for any extended periods (because it was a college bachelor pad, and he was actually thinking about the kid's well being), and that he wanted to have SONS when he had children of his own. When the non-convicted murderess' abandoned corpse-stinking car was found, there was a page still in it completely covered with her practicing a signature of Mrs. Crazy Boyfriend's-last-name--just like some infatuated schoolgirl.

2) AND because the grandmother and grandfather would have taken their granddaughter in, and sociopath mom was so jealous of her own daughter's relationship with the grandparents and so competitive with them that she'd rather see her baby dead than hand her over and be told what a rotten mother she was for all eternity.

3) AND because she was a compulsive liar who'd been allowed to get away with her lies most of her life and actually somehow thought no one would ever really go looking for the missing child.

I think I will always be angry over this one, can you tell? lol

P.S. Sorry for veering off topic.

Last edited:
I had an issue a couple years ago trying to help a relative who was in immediate need of mental health services, but her medicaid had us jumping through hoops & any kind of actual help seemed months away- which I knew she couldn't wait.

Out of desperation I ended up bringing her to the emergency room- they checked her straight in on a 36 or 72hr hold (can't remember what the norm is) and by the time she was discharged, she was on medication & had a follow up appointment with a psych dr. It was like fast-tracking her care.

Not sure if mental health services are like that in every state/case, but I wonder if this woman got the run-around with mental health & medicaid too?

For someone who is having mental health issues, it's gotta be hard enough to reach out for help- if you're then told you have to get a referal from your primary dr., then wait possibly months to get in with a psych dr., I would think that for many it could be too late?!

Back