• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Forensicwx

Final Roll Call 4153. STLCO 10-42 10/13 @ 1519
110iog6.jpg

Parents of a 4-year-old girl found dead in her bedroom two months ago are considered “persons of interest” in her death, a source familiar with the case said Friday.

Results of an autopsy report show Carlene “Carly” Jane Rigby’s death was a homicide and that she died by asphyxia by strangulation, Bibb County Coroner Leon Jones said.

A GBI medical examiner ruled that the girl, whose body was found near the head of her bed March 22, did not die by accident.

Carly’s father, 32-year-old Jason Hod Rigby, told authorities that he found her dead when he went to wake her for church that Sunday morning.

The cord from window blinds was wrapped around her neck in a way that puzzled investigators.

“They are just trying to be thorough with the investigation to answer the who, what, why and how,” sheriff’s Lt. Sean DeFoe said. “You have to be thorough in your investigation, and that’s what they’re doing.”

No charges have been filed in the case.

Jason Rigby and his 33-year-old wife, Jodi, have three other children who have been staying with their grandparents since their sister’s death. The Rigbys visit the children regularly.

In late March, Telegraph reporters spoke to Jodi Rigby’s mother, 61-year-old Suzanne Minarcine.

Minarcine called Carly’s death “a tragic accident.”

“Why treat my children like they are criminals?” Minarcine said of her daughter and son-in-law. “Let them investigate. It was an accident in the home!”

The grandmother said her family “is devastated” and urged people with children to take down their blinds.

http://www.macon.com/2015/05/22/3759942/macon-girls-death-ruled-a-homicide.html

I hope they didn't do it. She must have been so scared not to mention horrified by the betrayal of her parent/s if they had done it. ....so sad

I'd be more inclined to believe this if she was 1 or 2 but 4yrs old seems to be a little old for an accident of this nature.
Also come on Grandma how often do you hear of kids getting fatally tangled in window blinds these days to go on a campaign urging people to take them down. There's ways to prevent something like this happening.

I'd be more inclined to believe this if she was 1 or 2 but 4yrs old seems to be a little old for an accident of this nature.
Also come on Grandma how often do you hear of kids getting fatally tangled in window blinds these days to go on a campaign urging people to take them down. There's ways to prevent something like this happening.

Actually years ago (not sure exactly how long ago) there was a big warning for parents about babies/toddlers dieing from this but these baby's were in their cribs which were positioned by windows..

I am surprised by this lil girls age, she seems a lil old to have this kind of accident.
I would like to know if the lil girl had any other bruises or if any abuse has ever been reported until then ..I'm gonna wait to hear more before I condemn these parents..rip beautiful Carly<3

Last edited:
Actually years ago (not sure exactly how long ago) there was a big warning for parents about babies/toddlers dieing from this but these baby's were in their cribs which were positioned by windows..

I am surprised by this lil girls age, she seems a lil old to have this kind of accident.
I would like to know if the lil girl had any other bruises or if any abuse has ever been reported until then ..I'm gonna wait to hear more before I condemn these parents..rip beautiful Carly<3
I read that Carly had an older brother, who died in an accident at age 5, after being hit by a car. She died on what would've been his 15th birthday. :(

Last edited:
I read that Carly had an older brother, who died in an accident after being hit by a car. She died on what would've been his 15th birthday.

I said thanks but I really wanted to say VERRRRY INTER-RESTING. My understanding of babies being strangled by blind cords involved them being tangled in them and then hanging themselves by being suspended off the ground some kind of way, like out of crib that is high off the floor. This child was too old to be in a crib, and it said she was found in bed, assuming a regular child's bed and not a bunk type bed, she would more than likely to be too low ( and cords not long enough) to be hung, but maybe I'm just clutching at straws here, it's late and I'm rambling. Need more information.

I said thanks but I really wanted to say VERRRRY INTER-RESTING. My understanding of babies being strangled by blind cords involved them being tangled in them and then hanging themselves by being suspended off the ground some kind of way, like out of crib that is high off the floor. This child was too old to be in a crib, and it said she was found in bed, assuming a regular child's bed and not a bunk type bed, she would more than likely to be too low ( and cords not long enough) to be hung, but maybe I'm just clutching at straws here, it's late and I'm rambling. Need more information.
Hippos were a favorite of Carly’s half-brother, Glenn Milton Price, a child from her mother’s first marriage. He died after being struck by a car in November 2005 in Newnan. He was 5.

Carly’s body was found on what would have been Glenn’s 15th birthday.
The cord from window blinds was wrapped around her neck in a way that puzzled investigators.

I read that Carly had an older brother, who died in an accident at age 5, after being hit by a car. She died on what would've been his 15th birthday. :(

I am a Over the top worrier .. Especially since I lost my oldest in 2005... I know I get on my kids nerves ..hell I get on my OWN nerves at times... Anyway I have had to learn how to calm myself down ..NOT EASY .. But 1 of the things I will say to myself to help calm myself is. ..I have lost 1 child .. Most parents never have the horror of knowing how it feels to bury their child..what are the odds of me losing another.. There's NO WAY it could happen again..( of course I know it can) but I'm holding onto the hope that its a very small percentage... But anyway reading this article and than knowing they had already lost a child before.. Just puts my fears in high drive.. I've barely survived my first nightmare ..I don't think I can make it through a second <3:(:shrug::pout:

She could have been standing on her bed playing with the the string ..wrapping it around her neck.. Just playing like kids do and lost her balance..all they said was she was in her bed. . that doesn't necessarily mean laying down.. I

YES I'm trying very hard to believe this was a true accident..:pout:

I am a Over the top worrier .. Especially since I lost my oldest in 2005... I know I get on my kids nerves ..hell I get on my OWN nerves at times... Anyway I have had to learn how to calm myself down ..NOT EASY .. But 1 of the things I will say to myself to help calm myself is. ..I have lost 1 child .. Most parents never have the horror of knowing how it feels to bury their child..what are the odds of me losing another.. There's NO WAY it could happen again..( of course I know it can) but I'm holding onto the hope that its a very small percentage... But anyway reading this article and than knowing they had already lost a child before.. Just puts my fears in high drive.. I've barely survived my first nightmare ..I don't think I can make it through a second <3:(:shrug::pout:

I'm so sorry about your loss, Lauralye.
I don't think you can reasonably compare yourself to these parents, though. So many parents get away with murdering their children because it is a crime that usually happens behind closed doors with few adult witnesses other than complicit ones. If the police are going after these parents, the evidence against them is probably overwhelming.
This is not likely to turn out to be a case of two precious children torn from their parents' loving arms. Perhaps losing the first one was too much for their minds to handle and they became monsters, or perhaps it will turn out that the accident 15 years ago was always considered not quite suspicious enough to justify bringing charges.

Maybe these "parents" stop wanting their babies when they aren't babies anymore. I know enrollment to pre-k can be pricey and overwhelming at times, but give me a break...5 year olds are still too precious! Why cut them off so young. Having said that, I REALLY hope this is an accident. But who am I kidding??

I'm so sorry about your loss, Lauralye.
I don't think you can reasonably compare yourself to these parents, though. So many parents get away with murdering their children because it is a crime that usually happens behind closed doors with few adult witnesses other than complicit ones. If the police are going after these parents, the evidence against them is probably overwhelming.
This is not likely to turn out to be a case of two precious children torn from their parents' loving arms. Perhaps losing the first one was too much for their minds to handle and they became monsters, or perhaps it will turn out that the accident 15 years ago was always considered not quite suspicious enough to justify bringing charges.

I have read DD for over a year now and there has been a couple of times where I had held on to the hope that the parents were innocent..., unfortunately .. My hopes were dashed ..:(.. So I have a feeling that your probably right..:pout:

I wonder if in her sleep she became tangle though. And in the dark was unable to untangle it?

I'm going on the premise that the cord may have been long enough to dangle down close to her pillow. A possibility if the shades were up to let in some cool air over night.

I'm not going to blame the parents at this point.

Actually, a child is strangled by window blind cords about every two weeks in this country, but as you stated the vast majority are under three years old (93%). There is really no excuse for leaving a young child alone in a room where cords might be accessible. There is also an effort to to change the industry standards so that cords are less accessible to children.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/New...er-reported-According-to-a-new-study-in-JAMA/

I found the poor girl's obituary. It mentions she was working to overcome "severe apraxia" (in a very general sense: a neurological condition leading to the inability to carry out motor tasks).

There is not enough information about her death for me to believe one way or another. It's truly sad and I hope this was a tragic accident and not a murder. Children can die by misadventure and there is the possibility she was playing and wanted to swing by her head. It's like when children accidentally asphyxiate themselves by putting their heads through bars - they do it because they're curious and don't realize their play is dangerous.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/macon/obituary.aspx?pid=174466907

I found the poor girl's obituary. It mentions she was working to overcome "severe apraxia" (in a very general sense: a neurological condition leading to the inability to carry out motor tasks).

Would this make it easier or harder for her to accidentally hang herself? o_O

I understand that the family is upset and voicing their anger with the investigation (i.e. the grandmother) but personally I like the idea of the remaining children being in the household of another family member while this is investigated.

It could be just an unbelievable and tragic accident but it could also be something else, and I like that many measures are being taken to ensure the safety of the other children while the authorities figure it out.

Would this make it easier or harder for her to accidentally hang herself? o_O

I guess it would be all in how you look at it. Assuming this is for motor coordination of the body and not restricted to communication, it would be harder for her to tie herself up in the cords because it would be more difficult for her to command her hands and arms to complete the series of motions that an unaffected child could do quite easily. But then if she did ensnare herself, she could not make use of her hands and arms to get out.

I'm not sure if it had anything to directly do with her death. It is something that can put her at a disadvantage, which is why I brought it up. She could easily drown in shallow water or fall down steps if her parents weren't careful.

So sorry to hear of your loss @Lauralye. I can't imagine the pain you are in. Although I have never suffered a loss as yours...being a member of the DD makes one aware of how fast things can happen...and makes me fear for mine too. Hugs.

I'm very curious to find out exactly how the cord was around Carly's neck. If the cord was cut and around her it makes more sense it would be a homicide. Also where in her room was the bed situated that the cord could reach it.,,,if the cord was still intact with the blinds. It also depends on how intricately and originally the cord is tied/knotted. So many questions here. Not going to pass judgment without more information.

Also...if the cord was cut...it could have been from the parents attempts at resuscitation...to remove the cord binding her. Just thoughts rollin through my noggin :confused:

Last edited:
Part of why my hinky meter is raised is because the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has taken over the case. The sheriff says "they" are being thorough. They don't step in during a normal "possible accident" case. So contrary to what c2c speculated, this isn't an overzealous police chief. Their statement suggests to me that they aren't even involved in this.

Part of why my hinky meter is raised is because the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has taken over the case. The sheriff says "they" are being thorough. They don't step in during a normal "possible accident" case. So contrary to what c2c speculated, this isn't an overzealous police chief. Their statement suggests to me that they aren't even involved in this.
Do you think it could have been an older sibling? I wonder what the ages are of the other children? And their play relationships....? I truly hope it wasn't one of their other kids. Cause another one may be in danger as we speak while they are all together over at grandmas or wherever they are.....wow.

You just know this was staged because there was cords around her neck....when investigators were on the scene. No parent worth their salt would leave any kid they loved with a rope around their neck....NOPE. Never tried to save her....never thought I should move this rope and start CPR.

I've been wrong before so I'll focus on the facts first - if medical and police departments are puzzled by the blind cords placement around her neck, you can bet something must have been highly suspicious - they see many children killed, caught up or injured by these blinds every year and usually know their stuff .

That said - mistakes can and have been made by police investigations sometimes .

I also agree with @lithiumgirl on this point - If this little girl was left with the blinds rope system around her neck for all to see , I too would be surprised - as no parent ever would leave those cords round their babies neck- you would rip them blinds down and off frantically the second you discovered Her even if she was clearly dead.

Will be interested to see what develops here.

You just know this was staged because there was cords around her neck....when investigators were on the scene. No parent worth their salt would leave any kid they loved with a rope around their neck....NOPE. Never tried to save her....never thought I should move this rope and start CPR.

I never thought about the string still being around her neck.. I don't care if I common sense tells me my child is dead . my heart would have made me rip it off and someone would have had to literally pull me away to get me to stop CPR.. Uugghh the thought gives me chills ..
My hope for this to be a accident is starting to dwindle..:pout:<3

I agree. Lithium made a good point. What parent wouldn't try to untangle or cut the cord from around the child's neck to at least start CPR? That would be the first thing 911 would tell you to do. Lay her on a hard surface, cut the restraint, and begin rescue breaths with chest compressions.
Can't wait to find out more details...

Back