• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Oberle

Trusted Member
Konrad%20Alden%20Bass_zps5rop4hij.png

I can't believe this didn't make it here when it originally broke, but I couldn't find anything via the search function.

Detailed article and exciting slide show at the source link: ;)
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2015/05/sword-wielding_bipolar_man_in.html

The woman and her 16-year-old daughter froze in fear.

They were stuck in a traffic jam when a 6-foot-4 man dressed as an elf suddenly climbed onto their BMW, stabbed it with a sword and slashed its tires.

The daughter frantically dialed 911. Other drivers at the Southeast Portland intersection of Seventh Avenue and Morrison Street also called 911 about 7 a.m. on May 13, 2014. They honked. Some drove around the man.

The woman and her daughter eventually were able to drive off, too -- just as police arrived and threatened to use a stun gun on the man and he quickly surrendered. He later said he had bipolar disorder, had taken an assortment of mind-altering party drugs and thought he was an elf superhero slaying a monster.

Konrad Alden Bass, 31, also known as McKane, was charged with causing more than $4,000 worth of damage to the BMW and obstructing traffic. The bizarre attack made local and national headlines and drew its share of snickers on the Internet

I feel bad for the people in the car, but also for the demented elf with the sword. (Bleeding heart isn't too far-off as a description for me.)

Now that he's been convicted (his first criminal conviction), the judge did some sensible things that may help in the future. He ordered him to get mental health treatment and drug- and alcohol treatment, and banned him from possessing any weapons.

The judge also quite rightly pointed out that the guy was just lucky the driver of the BMW he stabbed to death wasn't armed:

"'There are 19,000 people riding around Multnomah County with concealed weapons permits,' Walker said. 'You might have jumped on their car, and they might have blown you away.'"

Back