• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Forensicwx

Final Roll Call 4153. STLCO 10-42 10/13 @ 1519
Interesting developments in this case....

20l1i6x.jpg
2wfjsr8.jpg

For days, the New York State Police scoured the sandy shorelines of the Hudson River, looking for a man whose fiancée said had slipped under the frigid surface when his kayak capsized during a weekend excursion.

The family and friends of Vincent Viafore, 46, a tall, muscular man who loved all things on the water, walked alongside the authorities as they searched for his body.

His fiancée, Angelika Graswald, 35, put her hands on her face and sobbed during a television interview, her grief visible in reddened eyes after she said she watched her fiancé disappear into choppy waters on April 19. People she spoke to said she sounded upset and lost for words.

But friends said she sometimes behaved as if a huge weight had fallen off her. She posted a torrent of photos to Facebook, one of them four days after Mr. Viafore’s disappearance showing her kayaking on stormy waters. (She answered a commenter who wrote, “You did everything you could,” with an image of a rainbow.) Another showed her doing yoga beside a river.

On Thursday, Orange County prosecutors charged Ms. Graswald with murder, saying she intentionally killed her fiancé and then told misleading stories as Mr. Viafore’s loved ones fretted.

“Initially, we believed her to be a survivor of a tragic accident,” Maj. Patrick Regan, a State Police commander, said at a news conference. But, he added, “Some inconsistencies in the accounts that she gave of those last minutes led investigators to be suspicious.”

Major Regan said the authorities believed the murder happened on the river, but he declined to answer questions about what evidence they may have. Mr. Viafore’s body has not been found. “She made statements that implicated herself in this crime, enough to certainly have reasonable cause to have made the arrest,” he said.

In an interview with News 12 Westchester on Thursday, she said she was wrongfully accused.

Ms. Graswald called 911 around 7:40 p.m. on April 19 as the couple were kayaking back to the western shore from Bannerman’s Island in the Hudson, several miles north of West Point, the authorities said. The wind had picked up. She said Mr. Viafore, who was not wearing a life vest, had disappeared into the 46-degree waters. She was wearing one, though she still had to be rescued.

The authorities recovered two kayaks, but not Mr. Viafore’s body.

“I saw him struggling a little bit,” she said in a soft, halting cadence. “He was trying to figure out how to paddle the waves. And then I just saw him flip, right in front of me.”

Despite his muscular build, Ms. Graswald said she was powerless to keep him from drowning.

“He kept, like, watching me, and I kept watching him,” she said. She remembered calling out: “Just hold on, just hold on!

“He said, ‘I don’t think I’m going to make it,’ ” Ms. Graswald continued. “I was like, ‘Pff, what are you talking about, you’re going to make it, of course.”

She offered few hints of a troubled conscience. About a week after the episode, she called her father-in-law from a previous marriage, Richard Graswald, with whom she rarely spoke, to wish him a happy birthday.

“I asked her about the accident, and she says, ‘You know, it’s a tragic thing, what can I say about it?’ ” Mr. Graswald said. “She was upset, of course. I didn’t prod into it.”

Ms. Graswald, a native of Latvia, kept her married name despite divorcing Mr. Graswald’s son in 2009. But online and with Mr. Viafore, she used a different last name, Lipska, said Kimberly Popovich, a longtime friend of Mr. Viafore.

Ms. Popovich said she was not sure that Mr. Viafore had known of her prior marriage. She said he was taken by her, in part because she was 11 years younger......

But since his disappearance, Ms. Popovich said she recalled clues that something was off about her. Mr. Viafore, who held a well-paying job as a project manager, had been supporting her since she quit her job as a bartender. And she said the story of a reckless kayaking trip was out of character for Mr. Viafore.

“Even though he had that side of him that was kind of an adrenaline person, he always took precautions about himself,” Ms. Popovich said. “When this story came out that he was on the Hudson at 7:30 at night in those choppy waters, 30 degrees, it just didn’t jibe with me.”

Her brashness may have led to a break in the case. On Wednesday, the authorities said, Ms. Graswald went to Bannerman’s Island, known formally as Pollepel Island, to lay flowers in honor of Mr. Viafore. Investigators were there as part of their search efforts, and it was while they were speaking there that the most glaring contradictions emerged.

The Orange County district attorney, David M. Hoovler, would not say whether there was a life insurance policy, a will or estate, that was set to go to Ms. Graswald after Mr. Viafore’s death. Of her possible motives, Mr. Hoovler said, “Not going to speak of it.”

Ms. Popovich said, “You want to believe that people are good, but you have that feeling in your gut that something is probably just not right.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/01/n...d-in-hudson-river-kayaking-accident.html?_r=0

In a follow-up interview from the Orange County Jail, Graswald told News 12 that she was arrested after police found her diary. In it, she said she wrote about Viafore's preference for rough sex and about him pressuring her to take part in threesomes. She wrote that sometimes she wished he was dead. But, she told the station that she wrote down those thoughts during tumultuous times and that she never actually planned to kill him.

Graswald told News 12 that police now think she tampered with her fiance's kayak so that he would die on the river.

New York State Police have been fairly tight-lipped about the reasons for Graswald's arrest.

"She made statements that implicated herself in this crime -- enough to certainly have reasonable cause to have made the arrest,” New York State Police Maj. Patrick Regan said at a press conference on Thursday, CBS New York reported. "There is a lot of work that remains to be done, but we felt there was enough to make the charge.”

A spokesperson for the New York State Police did not immediately return a request for comment.

At the press conference, authorities declined to say what the incriminating statements were that lead them to charge Graswald, according to CBS New York.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/01/angelika-graswald-murder_n_7189288.html

I love it when the first thing the accused does is go public and spit details. I always think of Jodi Arias and her ninja story.

Sorry ma'am, they have more than your diary if your under arrest. But keep on talking.

Kayak Suspect Reportedly ‘Felt Good’ Fiancé Would Die

Prosecutors at a bail hearing in Orange County, N.Y., on Wednesday said that Angelika Graswald, the woman accused of intentionally drowning her fiancé in the Hudson River last month, had told the police that she tampered with his kayak and had said it “felt good knowing he was going to die.”

When the police announced the arrest of Ms. Graswald on a charge of second-degree murder, they described what they called “inconsistencies in her statements” that implicated her in the death of Vincent Viafore, whose body has not been found.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/14/n...portedly-felt-good-fiance-would-die.html?_r=0

Not only for the life insurance, but the bitch admitted she liked it...
An upstate New York woman charged with killing her fiancé told investigators she had sabotaged her lover's kayak and "It felt good knowing he was going to die," prosecutors said Wednesday.

Angelika Graswald, 36, who is accused of second-degree murder in the drowning death of lover Vincent Viafore, 46, told authorities she had tampered with his water craft and watched him drown in the Hudson River on April 19, according to Orange County Assistant District Attorney Julie Mohl.

The couple set off in separate kayaks about 4:15 p.m. and came ashore at Banneman's Island, where they spent about two hours, authorities said. On the return voyage, Viafore's kayak began taking on water and capsized.

"He went under water and drowned" at about 7:15 p.m., Mohl said in Wednesday's bail hearing, according to the Poughkeepsie Journal.

Graswald waited for 25 minutes before calling 911 on her cellphone, Mohl said, then flipped over her own kayak.

Witnesses said the woman intentionally capsized her vessel, the prosecutor said.

Rescuers later pulled her from the water and she was treated for hypothermia.

After giving inconsistent statements to investigators, Graswald eventually acknowledged she staged the capsizing of her kayak to make it look like she had tried to save her fiancé.

Her attorney unsuccessfully sought to have his client released without bail Wednesday, but the judge set her bond at $3 million.

Graswald told investigators she "felt happiness and relief" while watching him drown, Mohl said.

The woman, who was the beneficiary on two life insurance policies belonging to Viafore, stood to gain about $250,000 after his death, the paper said.
Inside Edition video at link, "Lawyers claim he wanted rough sex."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...hing-lover-drown-prosecutor-article-1.2221200

Last edited:
A body pulled out of the Hudson River Saturday appears to be the 46-year-old missing kayaker allegedly killed by his fiancée, reports say.

The corpse was found near the Cornwall Yacht Club, roughly 20 miles from where Vincent Viafore’s kayak is believed to have capsized, authorities said.

Clothing on the body matches that worn by Viafore the day of the kayak trip, forensic scientist Michael Archer told NBC 4 New York.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/body-pulled-hudson-river-missing-kayaker-article-1.2233527

the cops leave hidden microphones at the graves of victims sometimes

That's a clever way to investigate...I'm pretty sure buried corpses don't fart, but I can't stop thinking of police listening to tapes and picking up the sound of a corpse letting one rip...I don't know why I'm thinking that...But I am. OMG!

A body pulled from the Hudson River has been identified by authorities as missing kayaker Vincent Viafore, WBAC-TV reports.

The 46-year-old’s body was plucked from the water on Saturday, nearly 20 miles from where his kayak capsized at the hands of his fiancee, authorities believe.
[…]
The body found on Saturday was apparently wearing the same clothes Viafore wore the day of his death, forensic experts say.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...-identified-vincent-viafore-article-1.2234216

Angelika Graswald has been charged with murdering her fiancé today after officials confirmed that it was his body that was pulled from the Hudson River in New York this weekend.

Prosecutors allege that the 35-year-old pulled the stopper on Vincent Viafore's kayak, causing him to capsize on April 19, 50 miles north of New York City.

Then, when he reached desperately for her paddle, fighting to keep his head above the frigid water, she pulled it away and rowed away, leaving him to die, authorities say.

Investigators allege she waited 20 minutes then capsized her own kayak and called for help, according to witnesses to saw her at the time.

Angelika Graswald has been charged with murdering her fiancé today after officials confirmed that it was his body that was pulled from the Hudson River in New York this weekend.

Prosecutors allege that the 35-year-old pulled the stopper on Vincent Viafore's kayak, causing him to capsize on April 19, 50 miles north of New York City.

Then, when he reached desperately for her paddle, fighting to keep his head above the frigid water, she pulled it away and rowed away, leaving him to die, authorities say.

Investigators allege she waited 20 minutes then capsized her own kayak and called for help, according to witnesses to saw her at the time.

he Latvian-born beauty was charged with second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter today.

Graswald wrote in her diary before the kayak incident that she wished her fiance was dead because he demanded rough sex and pressured her into threesomes, according to authorities.

'She felt trapped, and it was her only way out,' Orange County Assistant District Attorney Julie Mohl said at a court hearing this month.

She initially told authorities that the two had capsized together in the chilly spring waters of the Hudson and that she lost her fiancé when he went below the surface.

However, he seemingly carefree behavior following Viafore's death - including several cheery social media posts - caused police to grow suspicious.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...perately-grabbed-drowning-charged-murder.html

Ya....she had no choice.....cause you know nobody likes to go through a divorce these days .... :confused:o_O
Hell, they weren't even married yet, so it wasn't even as complicated as a divorce, all she had to do was break up with him.

Yep, because I can certainly see how horrible that prospect is and how murder definitely makes more sense.:sarcasm:

'She felt trapped, and it was her only way out,' Orange County Assistant District Attorney Julie Mohl said at a court hearing this month.

Is this the prosecutor saying this was a case of some poor helpleess woman doing what she had to or is he merely relaying what the scumbags excuse is?

Is this the prosecutor saying this was a case of some poor helpleess woman doing what she had to or is he merely relaying what the scumbags excuse is?
Considering the fact that is says ADA, that would be the Assistant District Attorney, AKA, the prosecution.

And since since that same prosecutor is going for first degree murder, I doubt they view her as "some poor helpless woman doing what she had to".

They are out to nail her, which they should be.

@joey

I'll admit to the occasional bout of stupidity, but I'm not seeing where I, or anyone else has been in this thread.

No, wait. .....

What I do know is, if you want to call people stupid, a point, and some punctuation really do help to support your case.

Have a great day.

you are all so stupid once again...the fact that this woman is charged with anything is ridiculous

And she is innocent of any wrong-doing, because ..............

Feel free to explain in as many words, sentences or paragraphs as you like. You do not need to feel restricted by the number of dots in that line.

I'll betcha next we'll start hearing about all of the childhood abuses and how wronged she was by all of the men in her life. Or perhaps Joey will return to enlighten us all with his exclusive top secret intel. o_O

you are all so stupid once again...the fact that this woman is charged with anything is ridiculous
Do tell Joey... we are all waiting on tenterhooks... :wait::nailbiting::shrug:

@joey, so she pulled the stopper from his kayak, pulled her oar away when he reached for it, watched him drown, but shouldn't be charged?

what a bitch if shes telling the truth about the abuse or rough sex whatever you want to call it she should of just chopped off his penis he may still be alive. just kidding what a bitch though.

I wish you would show up with something helpful whenever you rear your ugly head. As it is all you have had to say was we are all stupid. You're about as intelligent as a pile of shit but you stink worse. Why the fuck did you join if not to have intelligent debates on the stories? Was it just so you could have something to do when you decide to go off your meds. Seriously boo. The fuck is wrong with you? :shrug:
You know what. I don't even wanna know. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with you on a regular basis seeing as you think it's cool to cause someone to capsize and drown. :shifty:
Classy broad you are.

Last edited:
I've never kayaked, where is the stopper? Did she "pull it" before he got in it, and wouldn't he see it?

Maybe dumb questions, but just trying to understand.

Latest posts

Back