• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Oberle

Trusted Member
IMO, it takes a special kind of scum to poison a dog. Hope they catch the one responsible, but not holding out much hope for it.

The world’s biggest dog show was thrust into a murder mystery fit for an Agatha Christie novel when a champion Irish setter died after its owner said it had been fed steak laced with poison.

The death of three-year-old Jagger rocked Britain’s Crufts show, held annually since the reign of Queen Victoria, and unnerved a dog-showing world that some fear may have just become too competitive.

“An autopsy has revealed he was poisoned,” Dee Milligan-Bott, an experienced Irish setter kennel owner who has officiated at Crufts, said of her dog, whose pedigree name is Thendara Satisfaction.

Milligan-Bott said the autopsy showed Jagger had been fed steak laced with several types of poison that led to a painful death for the dog on its return to Belgium.

“The timings from the autopsy make it clear the only place this could have been given to Jagger was while on his bench at Crufts,” added Milligan-Bott, who said the police had been informed.

However, police in her home town of Tongeren in the east of Belgium, said they had not received a complaint.

Kennel owners flock to a cavernous conference center outside Birmingham for Crufts, preparing their pedigree dogs for judgment against 21,500 others in a series of competitions that culminate in Best in Show.

A Scottish terrier from Russia won that title on Sunday, two days after Jagger’s death.
A Kennel Club spokeswoman said it was unclear where the alleged incident happened and that until the toxicology report was received it was difficult to speculate.

Despite that, some British newspapers suggested that another similar-looking setter, called Pot Noodle, may have been the intended victim.

In any case, the tabloid Sun reported, “police are following all leads”.​

source: http://newsdaily.com/2015/03/murder-at-crufts-dog-poisoning-claim-hits-worlds-biggest-dog-show/

This article contains the author’s editorial opinions on Jagger's story, a couple of other animal cruelty story mentionables, and references the horribly sad story of Roxy the Boxer, too, whose thread you can read here:​

http://www.dreamindemon.com/communi...nd-painful-death-thanks-to-katy-gammon.68483/

Video of "Owner Believes Attack Was Random" here:
(Jagger)
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/you-can-kill-dog-you-5307006

Dee-Milligan-Bott.jpg

Anyone who can harman animalshould be put to sleep.

If you think it’s a little harsh to suggest the death penalty for a crime so minor as tying a firework to a cat or chucking bricks ata stray dog, then keep reading.

I hope by the end you will think it’s not harsh enough, and will suggest replacing a syringeful of barbiturates with poison, pliers and piano wire.

After all, putting an animal to sleep is brief and painless while the suffering caused by humans behaving like beasts is long and appalling.

On Monday it was revealed that Jagger, a pedigree Irish setter and pet of the Lauwers family in Belgium, had been poisoned during his recent appearance at Crufts.

Toxicology results are still pending, but a post mortem showed parcels of beef in Jagger’s stomach with what appeared to be slug poison, and possibly rat poison too, sewn inside.

Slug poison causes animals to produce masses of slime and dehydrate to death. Rat poison usually includes an anti-coagulant, causing a victim to bleed to death internally.

Jagger was in great pain and distress for hours. He died in the arms of the Lauwers’ nine-year-old boy Jeremy, who regarded the dog as his best friend.

Jagger-dog-poisoned-Crufts-8.jpg

The whole family is grief-stricken and thepolice are investigating.

Soon after there were claims that six other dogs may have been similarly poisoned – two Shetland sheepdogs who were found vomiting in their pens, another Irish setter, an Afghan hound, a shih-tzu and a West Highland terrier that’s “on a drip at the vet”.

It’s been suggested the person or people responsible were competitors trying to knobble a rival, or a passing member of the public who didn’t approve of Crufts or simply disliked dogs.

But there are 62million people in this country, many of them competitive at work or in sport. They don’t trick opponents into eating slow-acting poisons that cause their bodies to turn inside out.

Crufts 2015 poisoning: Organisers say 'sabotage will not be tolerated'

Not everybody approves of Crufts, of the breeding standards or of the way handlers in the ring pick terriers up by their tail “out of habit”. Eighty thousand people have signed a petition about this last issue since it happened on live TV to the winner of Best in Show – but they haven’t gone round to the culprit’s house and laced her tea with warfarin.

And only some of us are dog people – the other half are fans of cats, budgerigars, horses, tarantulas.

The really odd ones keep snakes in their loft and feed them live mice, but even they wouldn’t consider Jagger such a threat he needed to be tortured to death.

It’s simply not sane or logical to think “I want to win Crufts” or “I don’t like dogs” and arrive at a solution that involves breaking Jeremy Lauwers’ heart.

Whatever motivation the guilty party might claim, the truth is far worse – they’re a cold-blooded psychopath, and a danger to everyone.

Consider the list of people known to have caused animals great suffering.

Jeffrey Dahmer started out as a boy stripping the skin off roadkill, moved on to torturing small animals and wound up raping, killing, dismembering and cannibalising 17 men and boys.

Child killer Mary Bell used to throttle pigeons before strangling two young boys; Dunblane killer Thomas Hamilton used to squash rabbits’ heads under the wheels of his car; Ian Brady stoned dogs and burned a cat alive; Fred West tortured animals in the slaughterhouse where he worked before moving on to his own family.

Cases of domestic abuse often involve threats or cruelty to animals – a way for a sadistic individual to control and terrify someone into obeying commands.

And why? Because to hurt an animal requires a lack of empathy so great you’re more than just the psycho in the office, or the weirdo at the train station – you’re the kind of human whose wiring is so shonky there’s no way to fix it.

Yet we treat cases of animal cruelty as minor crimes, rather than symptoms of a greater problem.

Beverley Concannon kept an American bull mastiff in a cage in which it could not raise its head for almost 24 hours a day.

When it broke out and, with other dogs attacked 14-year-old Jade Lomas-Anderson, Concannon received a suspended sentence and a £165 fine.

5933424-large.jpg

Katy Gammon left her bulldog Roxy to starve to death, locked in the kitchen where RSPCA officers later found the animal’s corpse amid cupboards it had frantically tried to open.

Gammon was offered others homes for Roxy, but had refused them.She showed no remorse, and was jailed for just 18 weeks.

And Jeremy Wayle got a conditional discharge for stamping a pigeon to death after it had the temerity to eat the crumbs at his feet.

Not only do we treat these crimes leniently when we should be treating them like monsters in the making, but the law gives no status to the animals they kill.

If someone killed my dog the police would call it criminal damage, with a maximum three-month sentence unless it was a particularly valuable animal. I could, if I wanted, sue the perpetrator for the financial loss.

But as anyone who has a pet will tell you, they are more than property.

Horse, spider, bird, or cat, they are our friends. They rely upon us to care for and feed them, and in return they give us their trust.

Whereas children grow up, answer back, let you down and eventually learn to look after themselves, my dog is never going to do any of that.

He will always need me to bathe and care for him, to teach him how to behave, and one day I’ll have to make a decision about when his pain is too much.

He is my responsibility, a four-legged furry idiot who terrorizes postmen and snuck into my bed and my heart. He loves me unconditionally, and in return I owe him a good and happy life. If anyone hurt him it would and should be more than just criminal damage – the pain, the grief I would feel, would be the same as for any other dependent.

The very brightest dogs, border collies, have an IQ and vocabulary similar to a three-year-old child. A mute, excitable, blindly trusting and ever-so-slightly-backwards child.

If you can harm a dog, you can harm a child.

If you lack the empathy to stop another creature’s pain, you’re less than human.

And if you can see an animal, of any sort, and take pleasure from its suffering then you’re nothing but a beast. A vicious, nasty, psychotic oxygen thief without any human merit.

Such people make bad neighbours, bad parents, bad co-workers, crazed dictators and truly appalling concentration camp guards.

Animal crueltyshould be treated in law as something that’s a risk to society as a whole. Jagger’s awful death shouldn’t be considered mere criminal damage. And Jeremy Lauwers should be shown that nice humans catch the bad ones and make them stop.

That means locking them away for a long time, or cutting them out of our species like a cancer.

But because we’re not like them, we won’t use piano wire, pliers or poison. We won’t tie fireworks to them, or burn their skin with a magnifying glass.

We’ll just decide the pain is too much, and use a syringe.

To vote on whether animal cruelty penalties should be harsher, please click here and scroll to the end of the article: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/you-can-kill-dog-you-5307006

Last edited:
Back