• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

bowling68

The incident, which was caught on the surveillance camera in the Popeye’s Louisiana Kitchen in Channelview, Texas, happened on March 31 while shift manager Marissa Holcomb, who is pregnant with her fourth child, was on duty, KHOU-TV reported. Video shows a masked gunman running into the restaurant and leaping over the counter. He ordered Holcomb to open the cash registers.

After she gave him what was inside, he hopped back over the counter and ran off with the bag full of cash.

After the robbery where nearly $400 was stolen by a man that police have yet to identify and catch, according to KHOU, Holcomb said her manager came to her with a choice: make up for the money or be fired. Less than two days after the robbery, Holcomb was fired.
[...]
KHOU reported that a spokesperson for Z&H Foods Inc., which owns this Popeye’s location, said Holcomb was fired because she broke policy leaving too much money in the register at a time. The spokesperson also said that the company didn’t know about the employee being given the option to pay the $400 back. The news station noted that other restaurants have similar policies that could make employees responsible if money isn’t moved from the register within a certain time frame.

“[The suspect] got what they got because that’s what we made within one hour,” Holcomb told KHOU, noting that she was moving money from the register as quickly as she could on that busy Tuesday night.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-got-fired-after-restaurant-made-odd-request/

Video of the robbery at the link

Fired over $400?! They're lucky she didn't go into pre-mature labor & sue!

Popeye's policy sucks!
(and so does their food!!!:vomit:)

Most times you're not supposed to have much more than $100 in the register at any one time, but if you take it out, it's guaranteed that somone is going to show up with a large bill that you can't cash because you've put all your cash in the safe. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. Been there, done that, wore that T-shirt out.

Well if you live, work and vote in these anti-worker states then wtf do you expect?

I expect her to do her job properly and be grateful that she has one in the first fucking place, and not have fucking children if she's poor. We don't need these people anymore...we have illegal aliens to do this stuff now.

Popeye's Backtracks after firing of pregnant manager

http://news.yahoo.com/popeyes-backtracks-firing-pregnant-manager-robbed-gunpoint-231236175.html
Soon after the robbery, Holcomb tells Houston television station KHOU-11 that her bosses ordered her to repay the money the thieves took—or else. Some fast-food operators have rules about how much money can be left in the till; if workers don’t bank it into the safe fast enough, they become liable.

“I told them I’m not paying nothing,” Holcomb told the station. “I just had a gun to me. I’m not paying the money.”

In return, Holcomb says, she was fired. The pregnant mom of three was seeking work at other fast-food vendors and speaking out on Wednesday about a policy she says is unfair.

Then, on Thursday, local operators and Popeye’s corporate offices issued statements of regret to Consumerist, issuing apologies to employees and offering to reinstate Holcomb.

Holcomb is also being offered $2,000 in back pay—but she told KHOU she’s not sure she wants to go back to work for the chicken chain.

Well at least the lawyers at Popeye's corporate offices recognized a potential lawsuit when they seen one, or at the very least, bad PR.

Last edited:
Being pregnant has nothing to do with the robbery or her breaking the rules about leaving too much money in the till. A lot of people play that card too much.. Of course, it will play out well for her in her $5.5million lawsuit against Popeyes. Even though the was the franchisee who fired her, she is going after the deeper pockets of corporate Popeyes.
Oh, and getting another job while she waits for the lawsuit to pan out? Who will hire a woman known to sue a corp for $5.5 mil?

Being pregnant has nothing to do with the robbery or her breaking the rules about leaving too much money in the till. A lot of people play that card too much.. Of course, it will play out well for her in her $5.5million lawsuit against Popeyes. Even though the was the franchisee who fired her, she is going after the deeper pockets of corporate Popeyes.
Oh, and getting another job while she waits for the lawsuit to pan out? Who will hire a woman known to sue a corp for $5.5 mil?
That's the thing about these cases, every employer has "rules" that are enforced with various degrees of latitude. You can do things a certain way for years and nobody cares, until of course you're about to take 16 weeks of time off and all of a sudden it's very important to enforce that rule to a tee.

They were wrong to demand she pay them back the 400 dollars. The folks who tried to strongarm that out of her should be punished by their Popeye overlords. That said, she was in clear violation of her employers policy, and that had nothing to do with the robbery. She permitted too much money to accumulate in the till, that's breaking the rules whether she was robbed or not and should be the focal point here, the woman was inept and failed in the workplace, i have no sympathy nor should anyone else.

I don't grasp the grounds for the lawsuit

They were wrong to demand she pay them back the 400 dollars. The folks who tried to strongarm that out of her should be punished by their Popeye overlords. That said, she was in clear violation of her employers policy, and that had nothing to do with the robbery. She permitted too much money to accumulate in the till, that's breaking the rules whether she was robbed or not and should be the focal point here, the woman was inept and failed in the workplace, i have no sympathy nor should anyone else.

I don't grasp the grounds for the lawsuit
i do. say you are working with a min. staff. a manager in quick service is a working manager. which means while your crew is making $7.25 an hour, you are making $8.50 an hour, doing the same job, plus 12x more. and if they were that busy, and she was busy dropping chicken (to sell, to make the company money) i can see how she could not be in three different places at once. if they had an issue with her before, they should have taken care of it then. but because apparently this is the first time that location got busy and she could not keep up, well...yeah, blame her. not like they dont have cameras or insurance....*facepalm*

i do. say you are working with a min. staff. a manager in quick service is a working manager. which means while your crew is making $7.25 an hour, you are making $8.50 an hour, doing the same job, plus 12x more. and if they were that busy, and she was busy dropping chicken (to sell, to make the company money) i can see how she could not be in three different places at once. if they had an issue with her before, they should have taken care of it then. but because apparently this is the first time that location got busy and she could not keep up, well...yeah, blame her. not like they dont have cameras or insurance....*facepalm*

I wasn't commenting on how fair it is that she was fired. I can easily see how there could be numerous extenuating circumstances as to why/how so much money accumulated in her register. However, based on the info presented in the articles and the understanding of Popeyes policy i gather from them, she clearly broke the rules and they chose to punish her for that. It was HER register, she should have been paying closer attention to it and should have done a better job balancing the demands of the customer with the requirements of the financial duties her employer entrusted to her. If she doesn't want to be treated like shit she should find another line of work, you're in the vile and disgusting world of the fast food business, deal with the grease.

The fact that she's trying to turn this petty bullshit into a massive lawsuit(which again, i don't understand the reasoning of) says everything about the type of person she is. I again, have zero sympathy, and neither should anyone else.

@JackBurton, at times you fail at trying to be pete. i get it, but...how about you just be @JackBurton?

This shit is getting quite old. Two people simply can't have similar viewpoints on certain subjects, instead it MUST be a case of one user merely trying to imitate another for shits and giggles? Just because you can't handle that multiple people might hold an opinion that clashes with your own precious one, you dismiss it as mere copycat jackassery. Or maybe, like children, you folks see the similar font(i am using a different shade of green, fyi) and think it's ALLLLL the same!!! So intelligent...

Last edited:
An employer has the right to hire and fire anyone that they please as long as they're not violating the law by discriminating against them based on race, religion, color, national origin or disability. The only thing that protects you otherwise is collective bargaining and a union contract.
They could have a policy that has never been enforced until that very moment and they decided to start with you, right then and there, it is totally within their rights. They can even decide after 20 years of stellar employment that you're not a good fit after all. As long as they didn't violate your rights as stated above, you are shit out of luck. Most large employers have a disciplinary policy to give you the illusion of job safety, but you're really an employee at will, unless under contract.

It seems clear that she violated a company policy, so unless she can demonstrate that they routinely ignored this policy in the past and convinces the Labor Board that she was terminated because of the pregnancy, she really has little chance of prevailing. However, what she does have is a story that casts bad publicity on her employer, and she's betting they'll just pay her to make her go away. Is this ethically right, maybe not, but look at things from her perspective. Sure she broke a rule, but she was fired over $300.00. I'm sure that some of you will disagree, but that seems fucking petty to me, and if I was busting my ass for my employer and made a mistake in judgement or didn't realize that I was over the required amount and they fired me after being held up at gunpoint, over 300 fucking dollars; fuck them, game on, this means fucking war!

Now consider the fact that it probably costs much more than $300 bucks to train a new manager, it really doesn't make financial good sense, so why do it?

@MC30 @JackBurton

Last edited:
or didn't realize that I was over the required amount

Registers these days will chime to tell you that you've hit the magic number for a cash pull, at least at Dollar General they did, and I'm sure there was some sort of thing for Popeye's. Even when I was a manager for DG, there were times I didn't pull all the cash when I should have because the store was busy and it never failed that when I emptied the drawer of all but about $100-$150 that someone would come in with a large bill and buy a pack of gum. A lot of the time, they'd pitch a fit if it took longer than a few seconds to exhange the bill and the customers behind them waiting for you to go to the office, fight with the safe to get it open, count out the change and get it back sometimes took 10 minutes. On a busy day that is just not good. I'm not defending her but just explaining, I'm sure that it not much different between DG and a busy fast paced chicken joint.

From personal experience with DG, I know if I had been robbed, it wouldn't have mattered what I had done or not done, I would have been fired because everyone I knew that had been robbed, was fired over some pretense or other. Tho, the manager that shot a robber in the butt probably deserved to be fired. LOL

From personal experience with DG, I know if I had been robbed, it wouldn't have mattered what I had done or not done, I would have been fired because everyone I knew that had been robbed, was fired over some pretense or other.
This is what people don't realize happens to good, honest, hard-working employees every day. They aren't spouting this little factoid on Fox News to their corporate sycophant, living in fucking Fantasyland viewers.

Last edited:
Now consider the fact that it probably costs much more than $300 bucks to train a new manager, it really doesn't make financial good sense, so why do it?

Because, as you brought up earlier, they would have had to train someone to cover for her during maternity leave anyway, so it's no loss to them. In fact, if they had to pay partial wages during her leave, it would mitigate an even more substantial loss.

And, you're absolutely right. This won't go to trial; it would be a hard case to win. But it's an easy case to get a settlement out of.

I wasn't commenting on how fair it is that she was fired. I can easily see how there could be numerous extenuating circumstances as to why/how so much money accumulated in her register. However, based on the info presented in the articles and the understanding of Popeyes policy i gather from them, she clearly broke the rules and they chose to punish her for that. It was HER register, she should have been paying closer attention to it and should have done a better job balancing the demands of the customer with the requirements of the financial duties her employer entrusted to her. If she doesn't want to be treated like shit she should find another line of work, you're in the vile and disgusting world of the fast food business, deal with the grease.

The fact that she's trying to turn this petty bullshit into a massive lawsuit(which again, i don't understand the reasoning of) says everything about the type of person she is. I again, have zero sympathy, and neither should anyone else.

This shit is getting quite old. Two people simply can't have similar viewpoints on certain subjects, instead it MUST be a case of one user merely trying to imitate another for shits and giggles? Just because you can't handle that multiple people might hold an opinion that clashes with your own precious one, you dismiss it as mere copycat jackassery. Or maybe, like children, you folks see the similar font(i am using a different shade of green, fyi) and think it's ALLLLL the same!!! So intelligent...
oh lord. number one, i never said my opinion was precious, and number two (pun intended) i do not dismiss it as mere copycat jackassery. i truly believe it is, in fact, copycat jackassery. and really, i have never read pete as a jackass. we actually get along fairly well. and as far as "you folks"..really? am i part of some group (so secret that i dont even know about it) that is out to piss you off or take you down? sir, my opinion is mine and mine alone. your conversations with others is yalls business.

oh, and by the way, while holding her at gunpoint, he demanded that she open up the registers ... plural. they could have not have all been hers.

Last edited:
This is what people don't realize happens to good, honest, hard-working employees every day. They aren't spouting this little factoid on Fox News to their corporate sycophant, living in fucking Fantasyland viewers.

And your Hillary is owned lock, stock and barrel by Goldman-Sachs, but I'll bet you'll still vote for her! Talk about Fantasyland! :crack:

:crack: Hilary won't make to the NH primaries the Democratic party will drop her like a hot piece of coal for Elizabeth Warren from MA.

Back