• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Ask any recovering addict whose ever OD'ed. When they're using, and if they end up with an accidental overdose, they're chemically blunted and mentally unable to see past the chemical blinders for *any* reason. And, if they DO think about that cry they hear *in the distance*, or remember that their child(ren) is/are in the other room, they don't have the mentation to do anything about it. I used to tell my heroin withdrawal patients at the jail to *please* make sure they're not alone and there are no kids around each and every time they use

Kind of true...When I was an addict i was on a suicide trip...I would smoke a big stone, do the chicken and then cry after because I wasn't dead. Such a dark period in my life. This story would make a great poster for any addiction counselor...What about them? Put the cries in the distance right in their face so addicts have to consider it. This is a really moving story it could be great tool in terms of a picture is worth a thousand words.

and the chicken part? :chicken:
Google found this for me:
"Chicken as in Funky Chicken, which is a spastic ass dance move kinda thing where you are seizing and flailing about. "
and
"'doing the chicken" is flopping around on the floor - a bit scary of a dance to watch your friends do."

I was thinking that meant driving head-on toward another car, whoever swerves first is the "chicken" but that's just a stab in the dark.

We still do that on bikes when its foggy. The chicken is drug induced convulsions, not quite an over dose and really pushing your luck....I don't know why its called that. Medical terms aside, what would an American call it?

what would an American call it?
A near OD. I've never heard it referred to as anything other than an almost overdose, or the high that one is going for depending on the drug and the addict.

I've never heard it referred to as "chicken", I learned something new today.

We still do that on bikes when its foggy. The chicken is drug induced convulsions, not quite an over dose and really pushing your luck....I don't know why its called that. Medical terms aside, what would an American call it?
Hippies call it "fishing" but that is induced by too much Nitrous - I'd imagine the convulsions are similar.

Is lithiumgirl Canadian? If so, I'm sorry. :sorry:

I knew exactly what she meant with "doing the chicken", it must be a Canadian term, I didn't realize Americans didn't know it lol. Doing the chicken isn't just drug related, it refers to any seizure or convulsion where the person is on the ground thrashing around.

You know I went to a doctor who had a complete list of EVERY ONE of my medications at that time- I was CLEAN & SOBER- He prescribed me a medication that was a toxic combination with my current medications & especially to someone my weight & size- I overdosed following DOCTORS DIRECTIONS.. NOT saying that happened..but have compassion
Medication can be a catch 22 .... This happened to my husband but he never woke up :(

Back