• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Alf

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
I couldn't decide if this was Weird News or Crimes Against Animals.
By Michael Larkin

A police horse was tagged with graffiti while an officer issued a citation in Venice Beach.

According to a witness man in a grey hooded sweatshirt and a backpack approached the animal, who is named Charlie, while his rider was distracted Thursday, a Los Angeles Police Department spokesman said.
Link

--Al

This was pretty minor , but no one likes it when someone picks on a police horse or dog. A soccer fan/hoodlum in England punched a horse and was sentenced to 12 months in jail. Of course, that may mean he only served 3 months.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/24/newcastle-fan-jailed-punching-police-horse-rogerson

As a lifelong horse owner, I'm one of those people who think "hanging is too good for them".
One of the standard instructions for professional political protesters (aka anarchists) is to throw ball bearings or marbles under horses feet and sprinkle cayenne pepper around police dogs. Although it may be suggested in protest manuals, I think it's a pretty rare event. At least I hope so, I have not found a verified news item reporting it an event, just speculation.

throw ball bearings or marbles under horses feet and sprinkle cayenne pepper around police dogs.

Couldn't that result in the death of the horse? Falling may break his leg, definitely would hurt the rider, but I'm more concerned about the horse, cause I'm pretty sure whoever was on a horse at a protest knows they could go home pretty scuffed up, the horse has no choice. The pepper around the dog could make him uncomfortable, but not kill him, right? I've been told to sprinkle pepper in flower beds to keep cats out, but I could never do it, the cats didn't cause that much trouble.

The cats never bothered me enough to do anything about them, now the ants are a different story. Lots of fire ants where I come from.

I try very hard to resist using pesticides. I do know that if you mix unrelated hills, they will kill each other. I tried it in the garden one time, and they disappeared.

I could really use an anteater. Too bad they didn't migrate up here along with the freaking fire ants.

Instant grits are supposed to work too. You sprinkle it over the hills and the ants eat them and then explode when the grits swell up, but I don't know, no personal experience with that.

Instant grits are supposed to work too. You sprinkle it over the hills and the ants eat them and then explode when the grits swell up, but I don't know, no personal experience with that.
I've heard cornmeal, too.

Couldn't that result in the death of the horse? Falling may break his leg, definitely would hurt the rider, but I'm more concerned about the horse, cause I'm pretty sure whoever was on a horse at a protest knows they could go home pretty scuffed up, the horse has no choice. The pepper around the dog could make him uncomfortable, but not kill him, right? I've been told to sprinkle pepper in flower beds to keep cats out, but I could never do it, the cats didn't cause that much trouble.
It would depend on the size and quantity of ball bearings. There would have to be a lot or them! A horse might fall as a result of ball bearings. The horse might just slip and bruise the hoof pad or frog just like he could on gravel. That makes for very sore feet for a few days, but the horse recovers. Police horses often wear rubber soles for protection on hard surfaces. The horse could wrench a joint or muscle trying to recover his balance. Worst case scenario, yes, the horse could fall and break something which at best would disable him so that he would be retired. At worse the horse would have to be put down. I think once police were aware of this kind of sabotage, they would withdraw the horses and return with more backup and bigger sticks because they would be very angry that someone tried to sabotage a horse. Police love their horses very much. The general public loves police horses also, and it would turn people against protesters if they harmed animal.
The biggest and real danger a police horse faces in public is unleashed or badly controlled dogs. A man can't do much with fist and feet, but a dog can really maim. That is the real worry, not ball bearings,
Here is a vid of the hooligan who tried to punch a horse. He barely touched the horse and he was immediately taken down by another officer. The incident starts about 40 seconds in.

Last edited:
As I said, the cats never bothered me enough to want to run them off, they bothered my ex-mil more than me and it was my garden sooooooo.....I personally enjoy cats, mine, yours, feral, whatever. I think a house is a much nicer place with a cat in the window, or garden.

Grits have not worked with fire ants at my house. Boiling water will kill them, so should probably buy a giant cauldron that I could set up right next to the ants. Any of you witches want to loan me one?

Back