• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Michigan girl, 12, kicked out of school after missing too many days of class while receiving cancer treatment

A 12-year-old girl who fought off cancer has been kicked out of school because she did not attend enough classes while she was having treatment.

Rose McGrath from Battle Creek, Michigan, who has been receiving lengthy treatment since being diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in 2012, was recently told she could no longer attend St. Joseph's Middle School, reports WWMT.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ool-cancer-treatment-kicked-article-1.2198576

So sad when it's published in USA papers that common sense has died, and then on top it all we advertise it to the rest of the world.

Last edited:
Seriously?

My vice principal in HS tried to suspend me when I was recovering from surgery. Said surgery meant I could eat only liquids, was on narcotics and could not speak. I had no energy and as a compromise I attended school every other day (After I fell out of my desk during one class when I was trying to attend more regularly.) The school was notified, my mother spoke with my principal, but apparently no one told bitchface.. I mean.. .the VP (Who was indeed a known bitch.)

She calls me into her office and starts this condescending mini tirade about my attendance and this and that, and I stare at her, because, what the fuck else am I going to do? This did not improve her mood or mine. She started raising her voice because I was daring to ignore her and I started angrily gesturing for a fucking piece of paper and pen. Thankfully the principal walked by, saw her ranting, then saw me, then got this dumbfounded look on his face and asked her why the hell she would treat an ill student that way.
"Because she refuses to answer me!"
"She can't answer you, why do you think she's pointing at your pen? If you'd just given her one she could have answered you." (In her defence, she probably should have been told in advance about me if she wasn't, but that's no excuse for the way she spoke to me.)

It was worth it just to be there for the down-talking she got in front of me. And the profuse apology he gave me in front of her. He was awesome.

I just made this about me. My bad. I started out with the intention of stating how much worse doing that to a student with cancer is.

Playing devil's advocate here.....
I will probably receive bad marks from other members for this one because I agree with the school. She was unable to attend school enough and suffered academically as a result. When dealing with a dreadful illness, sometimes the child misses so much school that they must be held back a year, or receive intensive tutoring to catch up. It is another unhappy result of the illness. Parents claim the school did not do enough to accommodate the student, the school claims they tried very hard. We don't know enough facts about what the school actually did to assist, or if the family unrealistically expected too much accommodation.
The girl is no longer under treatment. Sounds like she is recovering. How about counting the blessings you do have? Like a healthy child?

They tried to fail me in 7th grade when i was out for 10 days with chicken pox. This was after being sent home from school and told not to return until all pox had scabbed over.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your opinion @Muriel Schwenck , only clarifying:

From the article:
"kicked out of school "..."was recently told she could no longer attend St. Joseph's Middle School..."

This is expulsion - not "being held back a year" or given an opportunity for "tutoring to catch up." Expulsion is a whole different animal.

Last edited:
My middle son's best friend is a little boy with CF, he misses weeks, even months of school at a time. He hasn't been held back and they have certainly not moved to expel him.

While I understand that even though she was receiving treatments that she would have needed to try to keep up academically, even if she didn't that still shouldn't have been grounds to expel her rather just hold her back a year.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your opinion @Muriel Schwenck , only clarifying:

This is expulsion - not "being held back a year" or given an opportunity for "tutoring to catch up." Expulsion is a whole different animal.

I guess I look at this in a business like way, without sentiment.
I only mention being held back and tutoring as options children must face as a result of falling way behind because of serious illness. If the term "expulsion" means being told to leave a school for any reason at all, so be it. The school's statement was clear that they could no longer help the student, and she needs to go where there is a better fit for her educational needs.
I think it is more like a termination of the business agreement - it is a private school after all. Maybe girl can't help it that she could not keep up, despite the accommodations that the school made. A private school has a right to terminate the relationship. She can enter another private or public school based on placement tests. Those test results may place her a grade behind.
It could be so much worse. She could be dead.

Back