• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
How does deportation work in the EU? As an island nation, does Britain track who enters the country from all ports of entry from other EU nations?

I just read another story here where a criminal was deported from an EU country back to Poland, only to return and commit a more heinous crime. Of course this happens constantly here too, but at least they have to "sneak" back in across a river or desert and bypass what should be secure borders.

How does deportation work in the EU? As an island nation, does Britain track who enters the country from all ports of entry from other EU nations?

They scan our passports on arrival at airports. I can only assume the computer they use has a list of undesirables that it checks the traveller against. Not that it is fool-proof, though being surrounded by water makes it a lot easier for the UK than it would be for most of the other countries in the EU.

They scan our passports on arrival at airports. I can only assume the computer they use has a list of undesirables that it checks the traveller against. Not that it is fool-proof, though being surrounded by water makes it a lot easier for the UK than it would be for most of the other countries in the EU.

And, since London's always been one the biggest, central hubs in EU, along with New Scotland Yard and MI 6, aren't you guys hotlinked into Interpol, too?

Afraid I have no idea, but it doesn't sound unlikely to me :shrug:

I was just being google lazy. :) I remember watching a show about GB's (mostly London's) overall rating in the Global Intelligence community and just the database tech alone was pretty impressive (what they were allowed to show/talk about anyway).

It's been a couple of years ago, but it also made an estimated, per capita "illegal immigrant" comparison and based on land size, you guys had as big an illegal immigrant population as the U.S. It didn't specifically mention those who've been caught sneaking back in after deportation, so it may or may not have been included, but I thought it was an interesting stat.

Back