• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Oberle

Trusted Member
Just goes to show. . . kids, wear your damn seat belts!

I think the family sounds in the right on this one. There's no good reason that I can think of for stripping a dead car crash victim at the scene and laying her out on a tarp for a photo shoot.

On New Year’s Eve 2009, Jessica Mejia slid into the passenger seat of her ex-boyfriend’s Mercedes SUV. She wouldn’t leave it alive.

Mejia was just 20 years old, a psychology major at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Her ex was Nicholas Sord, 22, the son of wealthy Chicago developer and restaurateur. Sord was just days away from opening his own restaurant with a Hall of Fame hockey player. He had already been out celebrating that night. Celebrating hard.

As Sord swerved his SUV through the south Chicago neighborhoods his father built, he suddenly lost control of the car. It smashed head first into a pole.

Neither Sord nor Mejia was wearing a seat belt. He shattered his wrist and cut his face in the crash. Mejia was not so lucky. Cook County Sheriff’s officers found her lifeless body crumpled up in the back of the SUV.

But what sets this tragic accident apart from the thousands of other DUIs around the country is what allegedly happened next.

According to a lawsuit filed in 2010 by Mejia’s family, Sheriff’s deputies pulled the dead woman from the SUV. Then they stripped off her high heels, her jeans, her shirt and her bra and laid her on a tarp. Then they took photos of her.

Mejia’s mother says she feels “violated” by the photos, which she claims were unnecessary and inappropriate.

“This was a young lady that just died and was treated with less dignity than a deer carcass you find on the side of the road,” Don Perry, the Mejia family attorney, told the Chicago Tribune.

More than five years after the horrific accident, the Mejias are finally getting their day in court. On Monday, their civil trial against the Cook County, Ill., Sheriff’s Office is set to begin. It promises to be an explosive scene, with the Mejia family essentially accusing the deputies of taking creep shots of their dead daughter.

The Cook County Sheriff’s Office denies any wrongdoing. When the lawsuit was first filed, the Sheriff’s Office denied taking naked photos of Mejia at the crime scene, calling the allegations “bizarre.” Since then, however, the department has admitted that it took the photos, claiming it was “standard operating procedure” to document a crime scene.

“The family suffered an unimaginable loss, and the crime scene photos were taken as our officers investigated this crime and were instrumental in securing a conviction against the person responsible for this tragic death,” Cara Smith, a spokeswoman for the Sheriff’s Office, told the Tribune. “In no way were these photos intended to cause harm to the family.”

Sord had a blood alcohol content almost three times the legal limit at the time of the crash. He was initially charged with reckless homicide and drunk driving, but the homicide charge was later dropped. He is currently serving a 56-month prison sentence, according to the Tribune.

The Mejias say the photos weren’t just a violation of privacy. By stripping the young woman, investigators contributed to rumors that she had been straddling Sord when the crash occurred. Sord’s attorney claimed that Mejia had “interfered with [Sord’s] driving to cause the accident.”

“[People] think my daughter died from having sex, not from somebody being drunk and killing her. Because they took these photos, by the time everybody else got to the scene, all the ambulances and everybody else, she was partially naked because they made her naked,” Christina Mejia told the Tribune. “So the rumors, and the allegations … they made it believable.”

The lawsuit also slams the Sheriff’s Office for allegedly exposing Jessica Mejia’s body to bystanders, in violation of departmental procedures. Sheriff’s deputies “failed to treat decedent with the dignity and the respect due her by removing her clothes, by photographing her nude body in various positions none of which were required by protocol, and by allowing passersby and other responders to view her naked person,” the suit claims.

“To see the way my daughter’s body was handled, at the scene, was so confusing and so disturbing,” Christina Mejia said. “I just didn’t understand why they did that.”

The allegations in Illinois are reminiscent of recent accusations against a California cop. Bakersfield Police officer Aaron Stringer allegedly told a police trainee that he “loves playing with dead bodies” after saying “tickle tickle” while touching the feet of a corpse.

* * *​

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...fs-officers-take-creep-shots-of-a-dead-woman/

Stripping a victim and photographing them naked certainly seems unnecessary and unusual. I wonder if a senior cop on the scene knew who the suspect's father was, and attempted to orchestrate some type of mitigating alibi for the driver.

Good thinking, BB. I didn't consider that. I'd honestly rather they would find out it was a set up.

This one hits home. Before I found out what a jerk he really was, I dated a fireman who "jokingly" used to say, "It's in the Civil Servant's handbook. If she's good-looking and she's unconscious, that shirt's coming off." I used to laugh along with him thinking he was just being funny using the same "gallows humor" a lot of us who work with the injured, dead and dying often use to deal with tragedy. Until I found out, among other things, it wasn't a joke. Grrrrr...f**king bastards...:mad:

This is one case where I really hope the family wins big and the Officers involved suffer repeat investgations( likely other cases out there) and dismissal from their positions. I feel bad for the girl and her family.

Bullshit! From the other articles I've read....

1. Her family claims she had all her clothes stripped off, then calls her 'partially nude'
2. Would they rather EMS not make attempts to save her life? This would require cutting the clothes away to assess her injuries at the scene because she was not stable enough to transport yet.
3. None of her family members were there, nor do photos exist of the cops 'exposing her nude body to the public'
4. I don't think she was humping him either, however, crime scene photos that her man's defense team attempts to use as evidence aren't the fault of the first responders. Sue the defense attorney.

They r angry, not happy with the boyfriend's sentence and looking for a payday. Here's a word of advice, teach your kids to not get into a car with a drunk driver, and also, how to wear a seat belt! She'd most likely be alive if she had been. You don't deserve multi millions because your snowflake made two stupid, yet conscious choices!

ETA: my first reaction was harsh, I admit. I feel for her family, they lost a child, indeed, but I don't think they deserve monetary compensation. Just wanted to clarify that.

Last edited:
There's something really off here. What could they possibly discover with photos of her nude body that wouldn't be discovered at autopsy? Since when has this ever been done at an accident scene? Of course, they should be be able to demonstrate they have photos of nude men from drunk driving accidents as well.:rolleyes:

I think this is going to turn out to be a misunderstanding-- it sounds disturbing (especially if you are the family members) that this victim had her clothes removed & then was photographed, but like @Forensicwx pointed out, it's very possible this could all be explained.

A reasonable scenario could be:
Her clothes were cut off by paramedics- which would be 'standard procedure'

If they're attempting to save her life & bystanders are standing there gawking at this poor naked victim, thats on the bystanders, not the paramedics.

Once they determined she was in fact deceased, the police would step in to start their crime scene investigation- including photographing the deceased victim.
(It would actually seem stranger if they re-dressed her before taking crime scene photos?!)

Nevertheless, I have nothing by sympathy for this victim's family, first to have to deal with a terrible loss of such a young & promising life-- & then have to be concerned that she was treated disrespectfully-- it's just so sad!

Doesn't sound from the article that EMT's preformed services in an attempt to save her life. The piece says sheriff deputies found her dead, stripped her, then took photos. After they were called on the carpet for their actions they then said it was SOP. If the actions stated in the above report are correct then the deputies need their asses kicked. I feel for the family and Jessica may she RIP

2. Would they rather EMS not make attempts to save her life? This would require cutting the clothes away to assess her injuries at the scene because she was not stable enough to transport yet.

This would indeed be a perfectly acceptable reason for her clothes to be removed, - probably the only acceptable reason under the circumstances.

The piece says sheriff deputies found her dead, [...]

Since when are deputies qualified to decide whether a body found at the scene of an accident is deceased or not? Is this not something for the EMS or a doctor to determine? (It does not appear from the story as though she was in pieces, which is the only situation I can think of where lay-people can be relatively certain.)

And if anything, since deputies found her dead, shouldnt they have covered her body with a sheet and then taken necessary photos by just lifting the sheet...? Not too often are bodies just laying out for the public to see after first responders arrive, whether it be LE or EMS. I could be wrong tho....

And if anything, since deputies found her dead, shouldnt they have covered her body with a sheet and then taken necessary photos by just lifting the sheet...? Not too often are bodies just laying out for the public to see after first responders arrive, whether it be LE or EMS. I could be wrong tho....
I've had the misfortune of passing a couple of fatal accidents. The bodies have always been under tarps not on them. Also true of the photos I've seen from accident scenes.

In some countries people take out there cell phones and take photos of accident scenes and the police do not stop it. I would like to know if the photos where ever entered into evidence in the trial. Did the bystanders tell the court that they saw anyone taking photos. The whole thing just does not add up. It does happen all the time someone gives someone a blow job or a hand job while driving. Maybe or maybe not sex was part of the accident.

I remember a case of a beautiful young girl who stole her fathers sports car and crashed it into a toll booth at very high speed...if my memory serves me...she was annihilated terribly and a cop at the scene took graphic pics and they were posted online. The father I believe received the pics in an email and it just destroyed the family. It was big news when it happened. They wanted the pics removed from the internet so their other children would never come across them. Sad that these girls were treated so disrespectfully.

I think it's telling that the Sheriff's office first responded by saying "that's insane, we'd never do anything like that" then (probably after discovery and those photos coming out) "oh yeah that's just standard procedure." So which is it? Because it can't be both. You can't say you don't do something and the very idea of doing it is bizarre, and then turn around and say it's what you do all the time. It sounds like the most blatant CYA I've ever heard.

I remember a case of a beautiful young girl who stole her fathers sports car and crashed it into a toll booth at very high speed...if my memory serves me...she was annihilated terribly and a cop at the scene took graphic pics and they were posted online. The father I believe received the pics in an email and it just destroyed the family. It was big news when it happened. They wanted the pics removed from the internet so their other children would never come across them. Sad that these girls were treated so disrespectfully.
I remember this too- I believe they called her 'Mercedes girl'.(I could google to make sure, but I honestly don't want to see what might pop up)
I've never seen the pictures, but I saw an interview with her dad.

People were so disgustingly heartless about this poor girl's death- pictures of her dead body were being posted all over the internet like it was a joke, people saying she was a spoiled brat & got what she deserved-- but the worst part was how the family was made aware of what was being said online:

Some sick asshole took the photo of this poor deceased girl, animated it like she was waving or dancing-- and EMAILED IT TO HER FATHER with a caption "look dad, I'm still alive" or something sick like that.

I remember in the interview with the dad where he said he was sitting at his desk at work when he opened that email-- can you even imagine anything more horrible!?!

I hate the internet sometimes..:(

I'm not going to click your link, Gate. That's because you're right.

The pictures were heart-rending.

--Al

I remember this too- I believe they called her 'Mercedes girl'.(I could google to make sure, but I honestly don't want to see what might pop up)
I've never seen the pictures, but I saw an interview with her dad.

People were so disgustingly heartless about this poor girl's death- pictures of her dead body were being posted all over the internet like it was a joke, people saying she was a spoiled brat & got what she deserved-- but the worst part was how the family was made aware of what was being said online:

Some sick asshole took the photo of this poor deceased girl, animated it like she was waving or dancing-- and EMAILED IT TO HER FATHER with a caption "look dad, I'm still alive" or something sick like that.

I remember in the interview with the dad where he said he was sitting at his desk at work when he opened that email-- can you even imagine anything more horrible!?!

I hate the internet sometimes..:(
They called her "Porsche Girl." And for those of you who don't want to further tarnish your google search histories:
http://www.bestgore.com/road-accidents/porsche-girl-nikki-catsouras-carcrash-photos/

The family apparently doesn't use the internet at all anymore, because of all the online harassment they were subjected to.

The photos do say Porsche-girl but one the one photo of the rear of the car it is a Honda symbol.
That is one of my sites I look at from time to time. If you look around the site you will see a lot of photos of the dead but not from the US. Why I don't know.

The photos do say Porsche-girl but one the one photo of the rear of the car it is a Honda symbol.
That is one of my sites I look at from time to time. If you look around the site you will see a lot of photos of the dead but not from the US. Why I don't know.

You're in the right place. There's a whole slew of us who cruise bestgore, documentingreality and charonboat just to name a few. I just used the en.wiki link to describe the case itself to see if that's the one they were referencing. Personally haven't clicked her pics. I know what hamburger with hair looks like. :(

Best Gore said:
Before Nikki Catsouras Crashed her Porsche, She Clipped and Almost Killed People on this Honda
That was the other car she hit/clipped; she was driving a Porsche.

To my son: Please don't be a cop, I know you would be a great officer but all the guys like this are going to wreck it for you. We call you Yak for the last 14 years because you're a good talker, please be a lawyer instead...mOM

To my son: Please don't be a cop, I know you would be a great officer but all the guys like this are going to wreck it for you. We call you Yak for the last 14 years because you're a good talker, please be a lawyer instead...mOM

Yes, but more than ever, we need good cops who are out there for the right reasons-- people with good hearts who really do want to protect, serve & make a difference in people's lives (like my dad has for the past 31 yrs!<3)

She was not undressed for EMT's to work on her. She was undressed to "collect" evidence. I've never heard of them processing a body on the scene like this. Taking pictures of how they are found, yes. But generally the coroner shows up and secures the body so no evidence is lost and they transport before trying to collect evidence of this nature.

I don't think they did it with the intent to take "creep" photos, but I don't think they were following protocol either. It states in the article that they left her for hours laying there and only decided to undress and photograph her after Sord was overheard making a comment about her being on top of him.

Lopez and Don Stewart, a more senior evidence technician who guided her on the scene, testified Wednesday at the Circuit Court of Cook County in Chicago that protocol, efficiency and preservation of trace evidence were the reasons behind their decision to undress and photograph Mejia's body over a tarp on the snowy ground of the crime scene where she died in a car accident on Dec. 31, 2009.

Sheriff's Lt. Matthew Rafferty also testified Wednesday afternoon that he heard Sord making statements as he was taken to the hospital in handcuffs following the accident. He said Sord was claiming "that the deceased had been mounting or straddling him while he was driving."

Rafferty, Stewart and Lopez all testified that Rafferty informed Lopez and Stewart about Sord's comments, asking them to find out if there was any evidence to support them. They said they did not find evidence to confirm Sord's comments.

[..]

Lopez and Stewart testified that they walked the crime scene for two to three hours collecting evidence, but did not examine Mejia's body until the very end.

Lots more info at the link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...crime-scene-trial-st-0430-20150429-story.html

well, all i can say is fuck them.. that is not sop. i don:t care where you are. even if she were dead at the scene. i would assume an ambulance would be called regardless. it is their job to cut off clothing and assess medical needs. and even if they had to completely strip a person down, they would soon be put into an ambulance. i equate this to if your grandmother died in her bed and when the coroner came out to declare, he then striped her down and took pictures of her nude body on her bedspread.

Back