• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
A "troubled" teenager who admitted trying to buy a deadly toxin over the "dark web" has been sentenced.

The 16-year-old boy, from Tameside in Greater Manchester, attempted to place an online order for abrin - a toxin 30 times more powerful than ricin.

Police said the basis of his guilty plea was that he was hoping to buy it with a view to taking his own life.

The court also ordered that his smartphone be destroyed.

A referral order [which is what he got] is aimed at preventing reoffending among first time offenders between the age of 10 and 17 who have pleaded guilty.

After successful completion of the order, the offence is considered "spent".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-32383135

Does he not realize a bullet to the head or overdose of sleeping pills or other medicines would have had the same outcome and definitely quicker and cheaper and less painful. I have a feeling though he was probably going to take out more than himself!

I have a feeling though he was probably going to take out more than himself!

I suspect you are probably right.

Btw, as @Buffettgirl points out, handguns are not in ready supply here, and I believe sleeping pills are also harder to come by (though I suppose if he is being described as "troubled" he has people with scrips in his surroundings). As for why he wouldn't go for carbon monoxide poisoning, he is not old enough to drive and may not have access to a car. And I personally find it sympathetic that he didn't throw himself in front of a train, scarring an innocent train driver in the process.

Back