• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Poor Barway. Came for a better life only for it to become a nightmare caused by the hands of his own Father.

At least the trash is off the streets and no other innocent will suffer .

RIP sweet boy .

Poor Barway. Came for a better life only for it to become a nightmare caused by the hands of his own Father.

At least the trash is off the streets and no other innocent will suffer .

RIP sweet boy .

It's a heartbreaker, for sure. He had one of those beautiful, bright smiles the world needs more of, not less. :(

Now I have to go update the status in my title. :(

Barway, you were worth more than a gazillion dollar life insurance policy.

I hope next time this thread is updated, it will be to give you justice and hold the human responsible. I'm not sure I could stand to read your cause of death.

Pierre Collins charged with murder in son Barway's death
MINNEAPOLIS - The father of Barway Collins has been officially charged with murder, after his son's body was found in the Mississippi River over the weekend.

Pierre Collins, 33, has been charged with second-degree murder, with intent but not premeditated. His bail has been set at $2 million.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman says that while Collins is charged with second-degree murder, he believes that they have enough evidence for a grand jury to indict him for first-degree.

According to the criminal complaint, when Barway's body was recovered from the Mississippi on April 11, his feet were bound together with duct tape and a piece of duct tape was also wrapped around his torso.

The investigation into Barway's death revealed Pierre had two life insurance policies on Barway -- one with a coverage of $30,000. On March 16, two days before Barway was last seen, Pierre made a payment on that life insurance policy and also made a call to the company, asking about raising the amount of coverage from $30,000 to $50,000. A second policy, through a different company, covers Pierre for $100,000 and each of his dependents at $20,000 each.
[...]
The criminal complaint states Pierre and Yamah have "considerable financial obligations, debt and no current income." Still, charges state Pierre was offered a temporary job on March 17 and was supposed to report at 4 p.m. on March 18 for his first day. He allegedly turned down the job, saying he was not able to come in on that date and time.

On April 13, police spoke to Pierre and at that time, he said, if they had enough, they should come and get him, according to the charges.

Freeman said he believes they have enough evidence to bring to a grand jury to ask for first-degree premeditated murder charges.
[...]
He said they believe Pierre acted alone but they still haven't identified the "uncle" Barway referenced on the day he disappeared.

The cause of Barway's death has not yet been determined.
[...]
Criminal charges state during several interviews with police, Pierre maintained he was never at the river and had no explanation for why his phone was tracked there. Police indicated in the charges there were several inconsistencies with Pierre's story.

In an interview with police, Pierre's wife Yamah said at 4:15 p.m. on March 18, Pierre was watching TV when he got up suddenly saying he had to go to the bank and the store. He left the apartment and did not return until after she told him Barway was missing.

Crystal Police have focused on Pierre Collins as their prime suspect in the case, ever since Barway disappeared nearly four weeks ago.

On Saturday afternoon, the Hennepin County Medical Examiner confirmed the body pulled from the river was Barway Collins.
http://www.kare11.com/story/news/cr...inst-father-in-barway-collins-death/25763913/

He bound him with duct tape so he couldn't swim and threw him in the river!!!!

OMG How could you do that to your very own child?

:(:(:(:(:(

And there really wasn't much insurance money, but I guess it was enough for him.:(

Haven't seen/heard any news for a few days. I just started a new job and I'm freaking exhausted. Was Pierre (Dad) charged with 2nd degree murder? Yes I could Google. But I didn't.

Edit: just read post # 34

Last edited:
hes being charged with second degree murder? really and he duct taped him, what about his hands it didnt say, so they say it wasnt premeditated? I dont understand that.

In some jurisdictions murder in the first degree is only for people who kill law enforcement. Maybe this is one of those jurisdictions?

He & his wife have a bunch of kids with no income- and then he's offered a job on Mar. 17th to start the following day, Mar. 18th, but he turns it down-- Mar. 18th is the same day his son Barlow will go missing- most likely it is also the day that he killed his son, bound him with duct tape, & dumped him like trash into the river.

I can almost imagine this asshole sitting there, deciding that rather than taking the job & working to make money for his family, he could just do away with one of his 'dependents', make some insurance money- easier than work, right?! Sick Lazy Bastard!

Barway Collins' father had financial, family and fraud problems
Well before he was charged last week in the death of his 10-year-old son, Pierre Collins was in a world of trouble.

The boy, Barway Collins, was one of the 33-year-old Crystal man’s seven children. A messy divorce from the mother of four of the kids had brought child support obligations Collins hadn’t met. And his work as a personal care attendant had been derailed by allegations of physical and sexual abuse made against him during the custody battle.

When employed, Collins had made $8 to $11 an hour. To make ends meet, he’d relied on several insurance payouts after car accidents. The payments were drying up, and one insurance firm had sued him, alleging fraud.

Collins’ struggles were described last week by his ex-wife, Jennifer Beaver, and detailed in court documents.

Prosecutors contend that debt may have been a motive for killing Barway, whose body was found April 11 in the Mississippi River in Brooklyn Center. Two days before Barway disappeared, Collins had inquired about increasing the boy’s life insurance, charges say. On March 18, just hours before Barway went missing, a Hennepin County judge had ordered Collins to find a job and to start paying more than $600 a month in child support.

Collins has denied any role in his son’s death. “I had nothing to do with Barway missing. … I would never harm him,” he said in March.

He is now in jail on a second-degree murder charge. Investigators say cellphone records and surveillance videos place him near the spot where Barway was found.
[...]
Pierre Collins’ current wife and the mother of his two youngest children, Yamah, declined to comment, as did Collins’ siblings. Interviews with other family members and court documents showed some of his struggles.

He arrived in the United States about 2003, part of a wave of Liberians fleeing civil war. He came to the Twin Cities after time in Virginia. In 2005, he met Beaver, then a mother of two, at a group home where they both worked.

“He was very nice … really outgoing. We had fun together,” she said. He was “secretive,” she added, never discussing his past.

When Beaver became pregnant with twins, Collins left, telling her he was returning to Africa. She gave birth and set out to raise her children on her own.

In 2008, Collins was found in Brooklyn Center and was ordered to pay child support, Beaver said.
[...]
Collins adopted Beaver’s two older children, and the couple married on Dec. 17, 2009. They moved into a two-bedroom apartment and then a townhouse. Collins worked long hours to support the family, she said.

Beaver said she knew Collins had a son in Liberia. He told her he’d learned Barway’s mother was pregnant after he left Liberia. She said she suggested they bring him to the United States, and helped pay for his trip.

In 2011, 5-year-old Barway arrived in Minnesota. His first day included a visit to a playground and a McDonald’s, Beaver said.

He started first grade and “adjusted quite well,” she said, describing Barway as well-behaved and fond of biking, skateboarding and soccer.

Beaver’s sister, Talisha Whitaker, and her husband, Corry Whitaker, of Coon Rapids, said at first they liked Collins. He worked double shifts to support the family, they said.
[...]
He submitted a claim for medical expenses and income loss, alleging he couldn’t work because of leg, back and neck injuries, records show. In total, he claimed to not have worked for 18 weeks, though he worked some of that time, court documents say.

The insurer sued him for fraud, alleging he had made suspiciously similar claims in each of the three accidents he’d reported over the years. It also accused him of hiding his 2007 worker’s comp claim. The suit ended when both parties went to arbitration. The court file does not say how the case was resolved.

Collins had two life insurance policies pertaining to his son, authorities say. One covered each of his children for $20,000. The other, for $30,000 was on Barway. On March 16, Collins made a payment on the second policy and asked about raising the coverage to $50,000, according to the criminal complaint.
[...]
She said they had physical altercations and that he also hit Barway, including spankings with a belt. He could be rough with all the children but was roughest with Barway, she said.

“He would literally whip him. … We fought so much about it. He told me to stay in my place, [that Barway] wasn’t my kid,” she said.

“My family told me to hold it together for the kids.”

In 2013, one of Beaver’s children alleged Collins touched and kissed her in a sexual way, and another said Collins beat him, records say. Beaver applied for and was granted a restraining order. Hennepin County found Collins responsible for abuse, records show. Beaver also reported the abuse to police. The county attorney’s office found insufficient evidence for a criminal charge.

The couple filed for divorce in June 2013. The judge appointed a guardian ad litem to represent the best interests of the children, then, citing the guardian’s report, granted Beaver sole legal and physical custody of the four children. She said she inquired about getting custody of Barway but was told she had no legal rights to the boy.

The judge also ordered Collins to complete a “sexual boundaries education program” before seeking supervised parenting time and to pay $650 a month in child support for the four children.

Beaver said Collins unsuccessfully objected to paying support for the two children he had adopted.

Last fall, Collins, who by then had two children with Yamah, asked to modify his child support, saying he was unemployed. The court agreed to suspend the payments. When the case returned to court March 18, the judge ordered Collins to resume payments, Beaver said.
[...]
That afternoon was the last time Barway was seen alive.
http://www.startribune.com/local/west/300494341.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

At least he was dumb enough to make it blatantly obvious what his intentions were. You have seven kids and days before one goes missing, you more than double his coverage compared to the others? :rolleyes:

Btw, second degree murder?!?! Wtf is up with that?

It looks to me like the prosecutor believes he can definitely prove that the elder collins sought to kill Barway, but he doesn't believe he can prove premeditation. Yet.

I'd keep an eye on this one, because I sense that the charges will be bumped to Murder 1 in the very near future.

--Al

August 3, 2015

Pierre Collins was sentenced to 40 years in prison for killing his son. He briefly addressed the court as he entered his plea.

"I saw him out playing... I was angry. I hit him." "He fell... I took him to the river. I duct taped him and threw him in the water."

Collins didn't address the allegations that he was in dire financial straights, and stood to collect tens of thousands of dollars of life insurance benefits if Barway died.

"We don't absolutely know" the motive, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said. "The only person that knows is Pierre Collins, and he's not sharing," he said, adding that he felt justice was done.
Barway Collins, 10, went missing March 18. His family said he disappeared after getting off the school bus outside the home he shared with his father in Crystal. His body was found in the water April 11, his feet and torso wrapped in duct tape.
1609940333060.png

Barway Collins , 10

Back