• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

bowling68

vUVvrI2m.jpg

Four pups got a load of wind in their ears in a perilous ride along an Ohio highway that had them caged on top of a cruising minivan.

Akron police came to the rescue after drivers trailing the Mennonite family’s van for some time on Interstate 76 called 911, fearing for the young dogs’ lives.

“The puppies are traumatized, but I think they’ll come around with a little love and attention,” Sgt. Kris Beitzel told the Beacon Journal.

The dogs "weren't acting like puppies" after the hour-long ordeal that spanned 50 miles, KNXV-TV reported. The dogs are otherwise OK.

Attempts by the Daily News to reach Akron police — to clarify if the cage was harnessed to the vehicle — were not immediately returned.

The wind had whipped up a blanket covering the cage, exposing the dogs to a fast-moving world of concerned motorists zipping by.

Wendell Steiner, of Nova, was behind the wheel of the van for the entirety of the journey and claims he had had no idea it was against the law to lodge the dogs on top of a moving vehicle.

“If I had known, I’d never agree to it,” Steiner said to officers.

His young children, Veronica and Cynthia, sullenly watched as four police officers took the dogs away into the custody of animal control, photos by the Beacon Journal show.

The dogs were bound for Chambersburg, Pa. to live with his wife’s family.

No charges are expected to be filed against Steiner due to “cultural issues,” Beitzel explained, adding that Steiner was simply unaware that what he was doing was wrong.

Mennonites, a religious sect with close heritage ties to the Amish, are more accustomed to modern life, but still uphold traditional dress and conservative beliefs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/caged-puppies-rescued-ohio-cops-top-van-article-1.2190122

Ignorance is no excuse.

No charges are expected to be filed against Steiner due to “cultural issues,” Beitzel explained, adding that Steiner was simply unaware that what he was doing was wrong.

Since when is ignorance of the law a valid defense?

I hate when religious nutters get special treatment.

Eh, Mitt Romney has them beat by a mile - many miles, actually, because his dog was strapped to the top of the car for a 12-hour trip.

so let me get this straight because of their religious beliefs they believe its ok to do this and he wont be charged does he have a brain, what if he strapped his kids to the top of the car? would that be ok?Mennonite Church USA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.there is a link about the religion it didnt say anything about it being ok to strap animals on top of a car going 50 mph.

Last edited:
claims he had had no idea it was against the law to lodge the dogs on top of a moving vehicle.
“If I had known, I’d never agree to it,” Steiner said to officers.
Why would the legalities of it matter? Seriously, doesn't common sense tell you that it is a supremely bad idea to strap a cage of puppies to a moving vehicle? Why the fuck do you need the law to tell you not to do it, a functioning brain should be able to do that for you just fine. Dipshit.

While Mennonites are similar to Amish, they are not Amish. They are often less isolated, definitely live "in the world"- that is why they are driving cars. Maybe he DIDN'T know, but it's not because he's Mennonite.

Of course, we know Mitt Romney knew better but nothing happened to him except a moment of bad PR. Hardly anyone even knows that it happened or remembers. It's probably nice to be part of the privileged class, but I think I'd rather just take responsibility for my own actions.

That's ridiculous. ..I've never heard of or seen anyone in my life put animals on top of any vehicles! Would someone place a baby or child to ride on top??? FUKK NOO!! DUMB ASSES! PEOPLE DO NOT USED THEIR DAMN BRAINZ!

Back