• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

bowling68

A Utah man got a surprise when he stopped to pull a large orange bag off the highway, fearing that it would become a traffic hazard.

... the 75-pound bag tumbled out of a truck driving in front of Dan Kennedy on Interstate 80 on Tuesday. When he looked inside, he found stacks of cash.

"I thought it was going to be light. I reached down to grab it, and I couldn't move it," Kennedy said.

Approximately 4 feet tall and 2 feet wide, the sack was filled with smaller bags packed with currency including $50 and $100 bills. Kennedy estimated each of the small bags contained $22,000.

It was unclear Thursday how much money the entire bag contained.

Kennedy tried but failed to chase down the Brink's armored truck that had lost the bag. He then drove the money to his work parking lot and called the police.

The three Utah Highway Patrol troopers were "stunned" at the bag of money, Kennedy said.

"Never in all my years have I heard of a bag of money bouncing out of the back of an armored truck," said trooper Brady Zaugg. "That's something that happens in the spy movies."

Kennedy said it never occurred to him to do anything other than turn in the money.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbe...pound-bag-of-cash-found-on-highway/ar-AAamUjW

A "4ft. tall by 2ft. wide bag of bags full of $50 & $100 bills" sitting in the middle of I-80 and I can't find the Brink's truck? You better believe I'd take that shit to the police station, plop it down in front of the desk Sgt. and say, "You're not gonna believe this, but I just found this 2ft. tall by 1ft. wide bag of cash on the highway."
lol. ;)

Last edited:
I didnt know this is how they carried the money.....How did it fall out.....thats the crazy part, I think

Kennedy said it never occurred to him to do anything other than turn in the money
Then he is clearly a better person than I am.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't have turned it in but rather that the thought of keeping it would have definitely crossed my mind.

Then he is clearly a better person than I am.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't have turned it in but rather that the thought of keeping it would have definitely crossed my mind.

Don't feel bad. The thought of "Man, one little stack can't hurt right?"

Man who returned 75-pound bag of money receives $5,000 from Brinks

126413.jpg

Dan Kennedy and Travis Truft, Brinks manager in charge of SLC
SALT LAKE CITY — A man who returned a bag full of cash after it fell from an armored truck on a freeway off-ramp last week is being rewarded with $5,000 for his honesty. Video HERE>>

Dan Kennedy met up Monday with a local executive from Brinks, the cash transportation company that lost the bag when it was jarred loose from its truck just off of I-80 on March 31. Kennedy said a company representative called him late last week and told him a $5,000 check was on its way once he could sign some tax paperwork on behalf of the company.

"He says, 'Hey Dan, we'd like to thank you for being a good citizen, doing a good job,'" Kennedy said Monday.

Kennedy was on his way to work at Exelis, an aerospace manufacturer, when he came upon the bag of cash last month. He was at his workplace Monday as he described the reaction to his good deed.

"I'm just shocked by all this. … It's all just a little overwhelming," Kennedy said. "(The story) is everywhere. It's in England, I've got a call from Canada.”

Some of Kennedy's long lost friends, from where he grew up in Brigham City, are sending him messages of congratulations and he is continually getting Facebook alerts, he said.

"My folks called me, told me they were proud of me," he said. "It felt real good."

Kennedy didn't know what else to say but "thank you" when he was told about his reward. He still feels awkward about being compensated for doing the honest thing.

"Wow, that's a whole lot of money," Kennedy said of the $5,000. "Why would I get anything for that?"

Kennedy insists almost anyone else would have also returned the cash in the same situation.

"I'm old (and) now I recognize mistakes before I make them," he quipped.

Kennedy is still unsure how he plans to use the $5,000.

"My wife’s got some ideas on it, I’ve got some ideas on it. I just don’t know."

Travis Truft, Brinks manager in charge of Salt Lake City, visited with Kennedy on Monday and gave him tax forms to fill out on behalf of the company before the check is issued.

"It’s good to actually give somebody a reward for doing something right," Truft said.

Brinks is not saying how much cash was in the bag Kennedy recovered.

"I can't answer that," Truft said, when asked about the amount.

Kennedy said last week that one of the smaller bags on the inside, which was about "steak-size," contained about $22,000. The entire bag, filled to capacity, was about 4 feet tall, 2 feet wide and weighed roughly 75 pounds.

Truft was also mum about the status of two employees who were in the truck when it lost the bag. He wouldn't comment on whether they were disciplined, only adding, "Steps have been put in place to make sure it never happens again."

"Everybody all the way up knows about these incidents. We don’t like them lightly," Truft said.

Brinks has completed its investigation into what caused the bag to dislodge, though very few details were released by Truft. He said all of the dislodged money was returned.

"Everything is recovered, everything is accounted for," he said.

Truft said the company is fortunate and grateful Kennedy thought on his feet and removed the bag from the off-ramp.

"I can’t imagine if a car would have hit it," he said.

Very cool story. Glad Brink's rewarded this guy for his honesty. I understand him not wanting the attention. I was in a similar position once and didn't like the attention either

How much of that $5000 is he going to have after taxes? Kinda like my bonus I only got half of cause the IRS got the rest. But I guess half a bonus is better than no bonus.

How much of that $5000 is he going to have after taxes? Kinda like my bonus I only got half of cause the IRS got the rest. But I guess half a bonus is better than no bonus.

I don't know if reward $$ falls under non-taxable income (like lawsuit money, etc.) or not (?). I honestly don't think it's right for it to have to be added to earned income as taxable by the feds or the state. Hmmm, good question. Imma see what I can find. :brb:

I don't know if reward $$ falls under non-taxable income (like lawsuit money, etc.) or not (?). I honestly don't think it's right for it to have to be added to earned income as taxable by the feds or the state. Hmmm, good question. Imma see what I can find. :brb:

Oh FFS. I got to page 12 on the gd IRS.gov "Publication 525" for taxable and non-taxable income before I went completely blind and blew a friggin' brain gasket. Screw it - for all intents and purposes, unless another google hound can find the direct answer (fed and State of Utah), Imma go with yes, Uncle and the State are going to get their cut under "Bonuses and Awards" b/c I can't find this type of "Reward" listed except for "Yahoo Answers" crappola. [enter smoking brain emoji]. :dead: Sad!

Last edited:
I always assume the worse that way if I'm surprised I'm happy, the other way, if I'm surprised, I'm NOT happy! But I'm fairly certain it's taxable, because just about any way you look at it, it's a gift and gifts are taxable.

I always assume the worse that way if I'm surprised I'm happy, the other way, if I'm surprised, I'm NOT happy! But I'm fairly certain it's taxable, because just about any way you look at it, it's a gift and gifts are taxable.

I was just wondering b/c the ex and I won a civil suit and it wasn't taxable, but the godawful attorneys fees were worse than the IRS and the state put together. I thought this might be exempt, too, but from everything I read, you're absolutely right. You get it, they get it, The only thing that really looks exempt is $$ that's paid to "make you whole" again or to reimburse you for actual losses.

well I still would of kept it, packed up my kids and grandkids and would be talking to you guys and gals on here from a warm tropical spot somewhere right now.

Travis Truft, Brinks manager in charge of Salt Lake City, visited with Kennedy on Monday and gave him tax forms to fill out on behalf of the company before the check is issued.

Pretty sure it was taxed.

I don't remember how long ago it was but a couple here in Dallas found a paper sack with a bunch of cash and a gun. They turned it over to LE and received absolutely nothing for their honesty. I believe there was about $20,000. I'm still angry about it. They should've just kept it.

Back